The simFlight Network Forums

Keys for freeware gauges in FSX / FSUIPC4

Hi Pete,

I see in FSUIPC 4.0 you no longer check a gauge name against the embedded key in a freeware gauge.

Does this mean your policy has changed ??

I.o.w. :

1. Does a freeware gauge still need a key to allow non-registered FSUIPC users to run the gauge in FSX ?

And if so:

2. We have a gauge for FS9 (with freeware key), but we want to release a modified version for FSX , but under a different name to avoid mixup with the FS9-version. Do we have to apply for a new key or not ??

Best regards,

Rob Barendregt

I see in FSUIPC 4.0 you no longer check a gauge name against the embedded key in a freeware gauge.

Does this mean your policy has changed ??

Yes, in the sense that I was fed up with all the hassle it caused me (and others), and it was no guarantee of payment from some payware producers in any case. The larger payware and box producers are pretty trustworthy -- at least that's been my experience over the last three years -- especially if I play fair with them, which I believe I always have done.

Does a freeware gauge still need a key to allow non-registered FSUIPC users to run the gauge in FSX ?

No.

Regards

Pete

Well, that's clear enough :)

And how about the following:

Although we (me and another designer) are strictly freeware-gauge designers, we occasionally get a question if one of our freeware gauges can be included in a payware product; which we usually allow in exchange for a free copy of that product.

Untill now, we've always refused that, when that gauge included FSUIPC access, because of your conditions for the freeware keys.

How's your view on that now ?

Iow: If such a freeware gauge uses FSUIPC, is it allowed to have that (not FSUIPC of course) included in a payware product ?

This might be a "grey" area, but we surely will comply with your wishes for the use of FSUIPC. And I just want to be sure, either way ..

Regards, Rob

Iow: If such a freeware gauge uses FSUIPC, is it allowed to have that (not FSUIPC of course) included in a payware product ?

This might be a "grey" area, but we surely will comply with your wishes for the use of FSUIPC. And I just want to be sure, either way ..

If the payware product is really not much more than a shareware endeavour by an individual merely trying to cover his costs, then there's no problem -- let him use your gauges if you wish.

If it is something which will be sold for profit either via download or in boxed form by a major operator, then I will readily agree with them, but I would simply ask you to tell them that it does use FSUIPC and that they should get in touch with me for permission -- I would take it from there.

Don't worry about enforcing this though. If they don't bother to ask I cannot do much about it now. But mostly these companies are pretty good.

Regards

Pete