The simFlight Network Forums

Dreaded Blue Screen

I installed FSUIPC4 4.01 for FSX and I when started FSX I got the dreaded blue screen which tells me "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Bla Bla bla" When i remove FSUIPC4 4.01 from the modules folder FSX starts normally. Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks

M. Keigley

I installed FSUIPC4 4.01 for FSX and I when started FSX I got the dreaded blue screen which tells me "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Bla Bla bla" When i remove FSUIPC4 4.01 from the modules folder FSX starts normally. Any help would be appriciated.

And at what stage was thishad FSX asked you permission to run FSUIPC4 yet? It takes a while before Simconnect even gets that far.

Actually FSUIPC4 cannot make such blue screens, it simply hasn't the privilegeit sounds like something is wrong with your installation. I would advise you to uninstall and re-install FSX.

Regards,

Pete

Yes FSX did ask for permission for the certificate upon pressing the accepting I get the crash. Subsequent starts results in no request for authentication and immediately results in a CTD.

I am wondering if this is yet another symptom of the problems SimConnect has when there are third party antivirus, firewall or privacy hooks in place. So far there have been two clearly identifiable symptoms:

1. FSUIPC4 installs okay but never gets to talk to FSX -- no AddOns menu is produced.

2. FSUIPC4 installs okay and there's an AddOns menu and everything seems to work but there's a growing delay in joystick response -- 5 to 30 seconds have been reported!

The Simconnect problems affect all add-ons which use it to interface to FSX. Simconnect uses TCP/IP protocols to interface between itself and FSX, even though they are both running in the same process, FSX.

The security hooks placed by the assorted security programs certainly have enough privilege to be able to cause a blue screen crash.

Is there an FSUIPC4.LOG file produced in the FSX modules folder at all? If so, please download the 4.011 version from the FSX announcement above and use that -- I added a bit more logging. Then show me the Log.

If there is no log, then FSUIPC4 hasn't really started. Then we need a Simconnect log. To get this is a little more tricky:

First, create a small Text file (eg in Notepad) containing:

[simConnect]

level=Verbose

file=\Modules\Simconnect%01u.Log

file_max_index=1

Fill in the folder stuff, then save this as "Simconnect.ini" in your "My Documents\Flight simulator X Files" folder.

Now, when you run FSX, SimConnect will log all sorts of things to a file "Simconnect0.Log" in the Modules folder. See if that Log is there after the crash and if so, show that to me.

Then delete or rename that Simconnect.INI file. Otherwise, when we do manage to solve your problem, the files will become HUGE (and I mean HHHUUUGGGEEE) with all the FSUIPC4/Simconnect interaction.

Finally could you please do three more things:

1. Identify exactly what firewall, anti-virus and other privacy software you have running. Let me know please.

2. See if you can disable it all (not irrevocably, for now) and re-test. Let me know this too please.

3. Report everything to Microsoft by email to tell_fs@microsoft.com.

Regards

Pete

Just wanted to make sure my path was correct. I tried some of you suggestions and I want to double check to see if it was right.

[simConnect]

level=Verbose

file=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\Simconnect%01u.Log

file_max_index=1

If i can confirm this I will try your suggestions

Thanks

Mike

Just wanted to make sure my path was correct. I tried some of you suggestions and I want to double check to see if it was right.

[simConnect]

level=Verbose

file=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\Simconnect%01u.Log

file_max_index=1

If I can confirm this I will try your suggestions

I think that path looks right if you allowed FS to install to its default place, but I've never done so (I like short paths like D:\FSX). If you are not sure you can put the log wherever you like. I only advise keeping everything related to FSUIPC4 in the Modules folder, keeps it 'tidy' to my eyes.

Regards

Pete

Pete here are the results from the logs you sked as well as the firewalls and antivirus programs i have instllaled.

The FSUIPC4.log is blank so nothing to report.

The Simconnect0.Log shows the following:

0.00000 SimConnect version 0x00000002

0.32646 Panels data export found and set to 20A41990

Firewalls:

Windows firewall (OFF)

Zone Alarm (Tested on/off) same result

Avasti antivirus (tested on/off) same results

Thanks

Mike

The FSUIPC4.log is blank so nothing to report.

The Simconnect0.Log shows the following:

0.00000 SimConnect version 0x00000002

0.32646 Panels data export found and set to 20A41990

Okay, so it has loaded FSUIPC4 (that's where is sees the export it mentions), but it hasn't called it at all yetFSUIPC4 isn't actually running.

Firewalls:

Windows firewall (OFF)

Zone Alarm (Tested on/off) same result

Avasti antivirus (tested on/off) same results

Turning them off doesn't remove their hooks unfortuanately. I suspect the only sure test would be to uninstall them. Please first though do review the other reports here -- I think AVAST is being used by one person without a problem, and I think there might be other settings in Zonealarm that may need changing. Privacy, or making FSX trusted or something, I think.

Buy all means, whatever you find, resolved or not, please be sure to write to tell_fs@microsoft.com to make sure they consider all the angles on this. I have been feeding all this data to them as I get it, and I hope they will get back to me with some clear advice or statement soon, but pressure and iformation through the proper routes from the users who are suffering cannot be a bad thing.

Regards,

Pete

As it stands it looks like Zone alarm was the culprit. Uninstalled and FSUIPC is working as it should. Thank you Pete for all your help and your diligence to the community your commitment has given me and countless others thousands of hours of joy.

Thanks

Mike