The simFlight Network Forums

Absolute Newbie Questions

CTyankee

I just purchased and installed MyTraffic 2004 Version 4.1 from SimMarket as part of the MyTraffic X bundle.

Two issues (for now).

1. The program appeared to install OK and seems to be functioning properly. However I don't see it in my personal Start menu or in the Settings-->Add/Remove list. I have Windows XP Pro, SP2. Anything wrong?

2. I live near KHPN, which is a heavilly GA-populated airport, with relatively few airline flights, mostly turboprops and regional jets. Yet with MT I see no general aircraft at all, even with the traffic slider at 100%, just 6 or 7 airliners. How can I introduce GA activity at this airport?

Please advise,

Sandy

MyTraffic does not put anything (but the MyTraffic Communicator) into the start menu. It contains no uninstaller, since addons to FS9 or FSX cannot be installed without severe damage.

To the airport, the thing that I would recommend is that in MyTraffic Editor ( start from the start menu ) you either

go to manage airlines," General Aviations", in the lower field select a type ( Cessna, Piper, what you like), press schedule, let them fly from KHPN to another not too far airport, press OK - adn one Piper or Cessna wwill fly to and back, up to 8 times per day.

Doing so 5 times will add 40 GA flights per day. Once this is done, press "Create all flights and traffic", and you will have some small aircraft.

Or:

You create a new airline "AeroClub KHPN", with Hub KHPN, country N.

You create a few new types, with this airlines, using titles that you can find in the GA types. Have a look which types are there, add those.

Each of these types you give a few registries, why don't you use some you find out there.

Once this airline has one or more types with one or more registries, press "Create schedules, files and traffic" and go to bed, swimming or to work. Now the world wide schedules will be reorganizedm to make room for this new airlines. Once this is done, you will have enough GA flights, and most likely only few airliners.

To go still more into the details, check the parkings available at this airport. If you have GA_small and GA_medium only, nothing above a Beech 1900 or Embraer 120 should show up. If you have gate smalls with 31 m, every aircraft up to a B767 is allowed, so by modification of parkings using AFCAD2 you can steer the type of the airport and the maximal aircraft. If you make changes, you have to start FS9 once and dump the airport list from there, look into the MyTraffic editor manual for details, but now youare already in the middle of a fascinating hobby...

Thanks for the information.

I assume that I can create a new.myt database by first saving MT2005V40.myt as a new file with a different name, then making my editing changes with the new file open, then saving, and then pressing "Create all Flights and Traffic". In other words the .myt database used for compilation doesn't necessarily have to be named MT2005V40.myt, povided that it is the open .myt file. Is this correct?

Also on Page 40 of the MyTraffic 2006 Editor Manual you refer to an enclosed file "AirportTutorial.htm". I can't link to this file from the Word dicument, nor can I find it in any of the MyTraffic folders.

Regards,

Sandy[/i]

The first assumption is correct, and you can give it any name with extension .myt.

The airport tutorial indeed doesn't for FSX and is only valid for FS9 today, since we cannot modify FSX airports by today. ( Unless you love to edit XMl code with 40000 lines and more per airport by hand, as I did all last weekend :) )

Hi again,

Does MyTraffic look at runways? In one instance Microsoft Traffic Toolbox shows a UPS DC-8 bound for KHPN and an ABX DC-8 scheduled for departure Since KHPN a maximum runway length of only 6548 feet, no real DC-8 could safely take off or land there.

How does MyTraffic handle this?

Regards,

Sandy

yes, the runway length gets checked when creating new schedules. According my database, a DC8 may operate from 6000 feet or above. Maybe not fully loaded, but all aircrafts with 4 engines need a lower safety margin, since it must be able to depart if one fails at any time, so using three.

If you change this to 7000 feet in the database, newly generated schedule will not contain DS8 there.