The simFlight Network Forums

Grass is brown 12 months a year?

Burkhard

Do you prefer to convert the high grass areas to conifer?  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Dear friends, I searched through the relevant land classes now. Irregated grass or tundra, all of them show this ugly brown forever. FSX is totally brown everywhere, I have the impression that creation of adequate textures could be not be done in time.

So neither cool grassland nor irregated grassland nor tundra help on the mountains. What we can do is to replace the cool grass classes by class 22, northern dedicous forest. The result is attached in the discussed area, it will apply to other areas too. Please comment and vote.

post-148-128689475189_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I don't like the idea of changing what textures the landclass refers to. Wouldn't it be better to await the release of customized textures from sources like Ground Environment, FScene or Lennart Arvidsson? If we change what textures the landclass use, the landclass won't do it's job with customized textures. Wouldn't it be best to at least wait for the release of GE for FSX before we come to a decision on this?

If you decide to change the landclass I would very much apreciate to have the original landclass texture mappings available and updated with other refinements of the MyWorldFSX Landclass.

Ulf B :shock:

I applaud you, Burkhard, for trying to do something to get rid of the brown.. but I'm not sure I'd want brown fields replaced by forests (even if they are green)

A forest is not grass and it won't help with the frame rates either, for those using autogen, having to draw all those tree's.

Hi,

There is a texture fix available at Avsim (fsxtexturemod_1a.zip) that should reduce the desert problem, at least in the mountains. I haven't tested it myself yet. I don't fly much in those regions so I'll wait for the FSX version of GE.

Ulf B

I will go and provide an optional patch for that area, have to look how far to go.

Than you have the choice of forest or desert. If you decide for desert, you may get options of exchanging textures - and break other places if you are unlucky - the best thing would be if somebody writes a batch job to change ALL FSX textures to have 10 more green, 4 less blue and 6 less red.

yes. FSX shows us the result of the environment politics of the current US administration if that doesn't change until there is hardware to run FSX with all sliders maxed and 50fps everywhere. Europe currently is completely brown everywhere, but when I look out of the window it isn't.

Can't some of the summer/spring textures be used? I'm so sick of the brown I set the season to summer and it looks ok then. I don't know if the textures can be modded so that some of the fields go brown with the majority staying green. I think the perfect solution would be to make the trees go brown (in Autumn at least) but that's probably tricky to do.

@banquet

Even the summer and spring textures of grass areas are much too brownish even for late autumn, all these textures just do not look like finals, but they are better.

So either the few dozen man years necessary to make such a sheer number of textures could not be found in time, or the people that did them cannot imagine an autum that is cool, but above freezing, and raining most of the time, as I wish I couldn't imagine :cry: .

So a global rename *fa*.bmp *fa*.bmp.passive and a global copy of *sp*.bmp to *fa*.bmp could do the trick, did I mention the word backup somewhere? :lol:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. Guidelines Privacy Policy We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.