The simFlight Network Forums

Just like home!

Hey Holger, id like to thank you for your excellent terrain meshes(downloaded the whole North American area, as well as Alps, Himalayas, Nambia, Victoria falls) :D

I was born in canada and lived there until i was 5 when i moved to sweden, i must say that the rockies and the calgary area is totally superb it really felt like i was actually flying at home in the real rockies. 8)

Hi there,

thank you for the kind words. Glad to hear that you're enjoying my projects and feel like "back home" :wink:

One of the reasons I created the Namibia files was that I have wonderful memories of family trips to this amazing country and flying above it in FS helps with triggering those memories.

Cheers, Holger

Hi there,

the look of the textures depends on whether you have default or replacements sets active but there are also general limitations with generic land class files. The spatial resolution/accuracy is limited to cells of about 1.5 sqkm. I used satellite imagery to determine the most appropriate class for each grid cell but most areas in the real world have, of course, a mix of several different cover types.

Three years ago I experimented with Landsat imagery, trying to improve on the realism of the Rockies with photoreal textures: http://portal.fsgenesis.net/index.php?s_album.php . However, the coarse resolution of the source images, the lack of autogen and seasonal changes, and the long loading times led me to abandon those efforts. I still think that manually enhanced land class files, along with other landscape enhancements, offer the best approach for large areas.

Mind you, there are plenty of aspects of my freeware Rockies files that could be improved upon. Maybe one day or by someone else; so little time...

Cheers, Holger

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. Guidelines Privacy Policy We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.