The simFlight Network Forums

7th axis assignment

Hello Pete,

I own an Saitek X52 joystick with 7 axes. I can assign six of them very well thru the Axis Assignment in FSUIPC 4.04. But not the 7th! I have read in the Userguide that FSUIPC handles up to 16 joystiks with 6 axes. But I have just one stick with 7 axes. Especially this one I would like to use as Rudder Trim. Unfortunately this function is not supported by the MSX Joystick section.

What can I do to use this 7th axis thru FSUIPC.

Kind regards,

Alexei

I have read in the Userguide that FSUIPC handles up to 16 joystiks with 6 axes. But I have just one stick with 7 axes.

Sorry, until I can find the time to totally re-write the jostick stuff in FSUIPC (and WideClient) to use DirectInput instead of the far simpler (and faster I think) basic Windows joystick API, there's no way it can see that other axis at all.

Especially this one I would like to use as Rudder Trim.

Unfortunately this function is not supported by the MSX Joystick section.

What can I do to use this 7th axis thru FSUIPC.

Ah, if you can assign it to some other, unused axis function, in FS, then you can use the "RudderTrimcontrol" facility in FSUIPC4's INI to tell FSUIPC4 which control to "steal" and use for Rudder Trim.

Here is the applicable section from the FSUIPC3 Advanced User's Guide. I think I missed much of this out in the FSUIPC4 edition as I thought it wouldn't be needed now:

Assignment of additional controls

(Reverser, Aileron and Rudder Trims, and Cowl Flaps)

There are no axis controls provided in FS for jet thrust reversing nor for aileron or rudder trim or even for setting the cowl flaps. To get around this, you can select any FS Axis control (one you are not otherwise using!), and assign it to your Axis in FS’s assignments dialogue. Then you need to tell FSUIPC which one to use this by declaring its numeric value, as about to be explained, and calibrating it in FSUIPC’s Joystick section (on page 7 or 8).

Most of the AXIS controls at your disposal are listed above with their numeric equivalent. Others can be found in my FS Controls Lists which you can find on http://www.schiratti.com/dowson (separate ones for FS2000, FS2002 and FS2004). Use the relevant number in a new parameter in the [JoystickCalibration] section of FSUIPC.INI, thus:

ReverserControl=

AileronTrimControl=

RudderTrimControl=

CowlFlaps1Control=

CowlFlaps2Control=

CowlFlaps3Control=

CowlFlaps4Control=

These are set to 0 to disable the interception altogether, but FSUIPC assigns the AXIS_MIXTURE_SET control (number 66292) to the Reverser by default. There is one other parameter for the reverser:

MaxThrottleForReverser=0

This controls the interlock—the reverser will not engage until all throttles are reduced to this setting (normally 0, or idle). You can try a non-zero value here if you cannot calibrate your throttles to produce a stable idle zero.

Looks like I should consider adding some of this documentation back, for controls with 7 or more axes such as yours?

The FSX controls list is installed in your FSX modules folder.

Regards

Pete