The simFlight Network Forums

Advise please

triton

This may sound a little mad but follow it through:)

I have installed fsx and tuned my system and everything else and it's running very well with lots of detail..

2006-11-16_14-24-54-500.jpg

To achieve this I had to remove the MS AI :)

I then installed other traffic (PAI, Ultimate GA, WOAI) etc.. and then I converted the textures from these aircraft using the following:

imagetool -r -batch -nowarning -nomip -32 -e bmp *_t*.bmp

imagetool -r -batch -nowarning -mip -DXT3 -e bmp *_t*.bmp

the result was lots of aircraft flying very well little to no impact in frame rates and good performancesliders are at 90% for AI...

the problem is maintaing this lot, adding additional Aircraft etc is a nightmare and the schedules are not even close, nor do the flight schedules addear to the new FSX airport codes.. I know I'm lazy :)

So my Solution could be to use mytraffic X?

So Finally My Questions..

If I backup and remove my aircraft and bgls from fsx and install mytrafficX.

And then I dont like it (worried about overall performance) how do I uninstall it easily?

(do I just remove the link in fsx.cfg to the mytraffic folder, modify the dll.xml, and remove ?bgl's from scenery\world\scenery?

would that be all I'd have to do to uninstall it or are there other things that would be hanging arround?

Also are the textures for aircraft in mytraffic optimised in a similar manner or better?

Thanks

M

Hi M, I'll try to answer the questions in-line...

>>If I backup and remove my aircraft and bgls from fsx and install mytrafficX.

And then I dont like it (worried about overall performance) how do I uninstall it easily?<<

According to Burkhard (I don't know the exact reasons for this statement), it's not a good idea to uninstall particular FS-addons. Traffic addons are likely amongst them. Maybe he can eloborate more on this when he's back case you wish more information on the subject?

>>(do I just remove the link in fsx.cfg to the mytraffic folder, modify the dll.xml, and remove ?bgl's from scenery\world\scenery?<<

Disabling MyTraffic OTOH, is extremely simple: Uncheck MyTraffic in the in FSX's scenery library and that's it. All the necessary MT-files are in one folder (AI-aircraft and traffic.bgls), so this will disable it altogether. BTW, if other AI-packages adhere to to the new install-methods and/or folder structures (within the FSX/Vista guidelines), it should be very easy to switch between various AI-addons. Unfortunately and except for MT, this is not the case today.

>>would that be all I'd have to do to uninstall it or are there other things that would be hanging arround?<<

You could continue to use TrafficExplorer after disabling MyTraffic by NOT exchanging/restoring the dll.xml. Since this is a general FS tool, it might be practical to leave it right there? The MT-aircraft pointer in the fsX.cfg can be left unaltered too. AIM above, leaving it as is by only disabling the scenery entry, could be practical if you want to switch between AI-variations.

>>Also are the textures for aircraft in mytraffic optimised in a similar manner or better?<<

Well, here I'ld dare say MyTraffic is the AI-package with THE highest degree of optimization. :-) This for example starts with how the package interacts with the OS and FS. Textures are mostly DXT1 so yes, they're optimized as well. Please also note, MyTraffic's main focus is and has been system performance. Since MT comes with heavies, GAs and military aircraft, this is a must-do to obtain good performance at very high AI-levels. That we occasionally chose performance over visuals, seems to be paying off extremely well with FSX. I was sometimes reluctant to sacrifice visuals, but now in the aftermaths of the FSX-release, Burkhard was absolutely right to chose performance. He definitely is more visionary than me! :-)

Right now, in the early days of FSX, it's impossible to implement all the features we'ld like to. After all, some of the FSX-SDKs are still in development. But let me assure you, the devs react very swiftly when they sees possibilities to improve performance and/or add neat new features.

It's exactly this MS SDK-closeness which allowed early releases of version compatible software (important!) in previous and the current FS-versions. This time around, AI/MT afficionados we were very lucky as FSX and MyTrafficX were released almost simultaneously. Lots of hard work and a little bit of luck made this possible! :-)

>>Thanks<<

Thank you too for your interest and please shoot if you have further questions or something was unclear. Greetings to Oz!

Kind regards

Jaap