The simFlight Network Forums

MyTrafficX 5a update - less traffic?

hjm

I have installed the 5a update today. But I found out that, when loading the same flight, I have less(!) traffic (airplanes) on the airports (KSEA, EGLL). As I unterstood, the density should significantly incresae (with the same settings, in my case: IFR 60%, GA 20%). Does anyone have the same effects? Or is s.th. wrong with my settings and/or installation?

cheers

harry

Hi Harry,

Please check if your Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\MyTraffic\Scenery directory is roughly 111MB in size? If not, the traffic bgl files have not compiled correctly. Run traffic2006.bat found in the MyTraffic folder to fix this.

You might also want to confirm that the MyTraffic scenery layer is enabled in your scenery library.

The scenery folder (5a) is 111MB the unpatched (5) is about 98MB. The Scenery Library entry is correct. I prooved the observed behavior by installing the original MTX (5), then I made a copy of the MyTraffic folder then I patched to 5a. I can switch now between the two versions by simply renaming the two MyTraffic folders (one to MyTraffic the other to Mytraffic_5, respectively MyTraffic_5a) with no need for other changes.

In Heathrow for example, I saved a heli flight currently on slew mode, thus traffic runs but the position stays unmoved. If I count the airplanes, there are significant more airplanes in the 5 version than in the 5a version (23 vs 18 in the visible area, without any view change). Additional I have the impression that some airplane textures are not correct. In KSEA I see 2 airplanes with total black wings - rest looks o.k.

It is not a big deal, since I can live with the unpatched version. I simply wanted to tell these observations.

best regards

harry

Hi Harry, I believe Burkhard fine-tuned some of the traffic movements and I can confirm seeing less traffic in particular areas. HST, this should be beneficiary because it increases performance. London is one of hte densest areas in FS, so, taking a couple of flights away... The flightplans and the way they work is certainly is an area of great emphasis in the future.

Now, since you're comfi with FS-folders, I'ld suggest to test the beta TrafficBuilderX here (2nd post)

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.p6&start=15

and join the testing & fun. The more feedback, the better. :-) I don't know whether something is wrong on my end, but my traffic.bgls went to 150MB with the new TrafficBuilderx.

Thanks for taking your time, Harry.

Kind regards

Jaap

The totasl number of operations in 50a is 20% higher than in 50. On the other hand, the short_range_delay has been largely reduced, so that mainly commuters go back after 50 to 55 minutes and not after 90 minutes as before - this can result in less parked planes at some locations.

Hi Yaap, Hi Burkhard

Where do I have to copy/execute the traffi...X.bat files. Into/from the MT-Plans folder or into/from the MyTraffic (root) folder. I executed first the 2006X_bat file from the MyTrafic folder and got an increase of th scenery folder fom 111MB to 156MB. But after re-reading the posts I thought this might have been wrong. Otherside, I checked the Northern Island military airport in San Diegeo where I found some military traffic (F17 Hornet, etc...)

Best wishes

Harry

No, this is OK. The FSX traffic data base builder produces files that are larger than the FS9 ones and much larger than the FS8 ones. To my understanding, the files contain for each flight some waypoints or wayroutes it has to take, including a grid of the terrain to avoid flying through mountains. This grid is more detailed for FSX, resulting in smoother approaches mainly. The 111 MB are typical for 50a using the FS9 compiler, 156 will be OK for 50b.