The simFlight Network Forums

Strange thing

tamia

Hi Holger

First of all, MERCI BEAUCOUP, thanks a lot for all your work in flight simulation. I have a strange problem when I fly in the NW part of USA: if I take off at, say Bowerman(KHQM) and fly esatbound, the moment I arrive at W123.45, FS9 freeze and the only way to "kill" it is to reset computer. But if I t/o anywhere east of W123.45 and fly westboud, I can cross that longitude without problem, then make a 180° turn and fly back eastbound and now cross that point without FS freezing. Further investigation showed that the south border of the region where it happens is somewhere between WILLAPA(2S9) and WESTPORT(14S) and the north border is somewhere between FORKS(S18) and SEKIU(11S). Perhaps is it a problem whit missing file(s) but need your help if possible. The addpns I have for the west region are: UTUSA, UTCAN, CRG, FZ02, VANC+, FSGLC.

I hope that my explanations are clear enough (French is my native language) and that you will be able to help.

Berhtin

Hi Berhtin,

that does sound odd indeed. I can't recall ever having FS freeze on me though I've had plenty of other types of crashes. Most of these crashes, however, are tied to specific seasons or time-of-day. You could try changing those but I don't think that will help in your case.

The only thing I can think of is that it's perhaps related to time zones? I've heard (though, again, never experienced this myself) that FS spontaneously re-loads the scenery files when crossing one of its internal time zone boundaries. Don't know whether that's the case here and why this would happen in one direction but not the other.

Something to check might be the output of Filemon, a small freeware utility that can track file read errors: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintlemon.mspx

Set its filtering option to not display successes and run it parallel to your sim. The output can be a bit confusing but it can help tracking down missing files as well as out of memory errors. Post here if you have troubles decoding Filemon's output.

Cheers, Holger

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Holger

sory for the delay, but had to find a way to save filemon log when all was frozen, finaly, with FS in windowed mode, I could. First, I tried in diff. seasons and times of the day ang it always freeze. With Filemon, got errors with Effects.fx, solved that with your dummy file but always freezing at the same location. Had errrors with FaUnderR.bmp in CRG texture folder; copied that file from FS/scenery/word/texture to CRG/texture. got rid of errors for that file but always freezing, so deleted it. I have others errors as you will see in filemon logs I send to you.

Hope you will find something in them

Merci

Berthin

post-15828-128689486169.jpg

post-15828-12868948617.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. Guidelines Privacy Policy We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.