The simFlight Network Forums

Glacier Bay 2.0 question

Hey Holger,

Is the new version any bigger than the old ? I guess what I'm asking is, will I be able to fly from Tongass directly into Juneau area w/o going into any default terrain or is there still a 20-30 nm gap between the two?

I flew from Ketchikan up to Juneau in my Do-27 yesterday ( scenic route :P Ketchikan to Klawock to Wrangell to Kake to Juneau ). Weather was getting rather bad making VFR almost impossible... good thing I knew the area ( much as a local bush pilot could navigate under lesser visibility ). Took a few hours but was fun! Just hated seeing the default terrain again heh.

Only Holger will be able to answer this question outright, but last I recall reading was that GBv2 will butt up against Tongass and cap off the rest of South East AK.

Its funny, after messing around with UT CAN/AK in the Aleutians yesterday (trying to fix/figure out whats causing roads & airports in the ocean), I decided I'd had enough and took my straight-float aerosoft piper cub from Pelican to Sitka... weather ranged from not bad to very bad VFR. I can't make the switch to FSX completely yet because I just cant deal with the terrain in South East. Misty/Tongass/GB is such a treat, I'm spoiled!

Hi guys,

actually, version 1 has its southern boundary at N58, which is the northern boundary of Tongass. The detail in the shoreline and water bodies isn't the same as TF but the two should match up pretty good. That is, with the original version (gl_bay_1); the UT version (ut_bc_hs) uses the UT shorelines, which are much less accurate in SE Alaska.

Glacier Bay v2 will have the same water detail as Tongass and not rely on UT even with UT installed. Also, the area covered is much larger than v1 because it extends farther north, west, and east. The new boundaries are N58* to N60*30' and W133*07' to W140*10'. Thus, Yakutat, Atlin, and Carcross are included.

Cheers, Holger

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. Guidelines Privacy Policy We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.