The simFlight Network Forums
Burkhard

Modification of FSX airports using AFCAD2

Dear friends, up to now we were stuck by not being able to modify FSX airports for more or changed parkings or taxi ways.

Since BGLanalyseX got published By Winfried Orthmann a few days ago, I can publish a small toolset today that allows to modify the FSX airports using the well known AFCAD2 tool by Lee Swordy, with just a few steps to be taken before and after it. You can download this from

http://www.fsrail.com/X2AF2X.zip

More is included! Have fun and send me your airports

Burkhard

Another point, that you may have an opinion about and that could be implemented into this tool is the question of parking radii. Microsoft has coupled the used radii to wing span now instead of bounding box diameter, so they could go down by something like square root of 2.

What I understand is the small gate radius of 18 m, that nicely fits the A320s and the B737s, the NGs have 35.6m span.

What I understand is the heavy gate radius of 36 m, that nicely fits the B744, OK, 33 would do it too, ok for the 748 that needs 35m, it is too small for the A380 but A380s aren't so common today, so that is OK.

What I wonder about is the medium range: 23m is OK for the A300, but too low for the B767 - I do not see any sense to cut between these two. My preference would be to

either set it at 26 m, than it would include the MD11, but not the A330, or to 31 m to include A332/A343, but not A345/6.

Also, the 10 m for the ramp small makes no sense, why reducing the size of the Rates when not of the other parkings.

My point is that X2AF2X could make a radius conversion before sending to AFCAD automatically.

Burkhard

I would like to address several issues that I have with the program.

When Winfried developed NewBGLAnalyze for FS9 type files the VASI becomes corrupt and must be changed manually in the xml code.

All the KATL VASI PAPI4's became PAPI2's in your example. In some cases based on the type VASI, NewBGLAnaylze will change them to a type unknown and the FS9 xml will not compile.

Another issues is the deleteAllApproaches = "TRUE" is not part of the merge in the final br2_ .xml. Because this element statement is missing and you pulled into the final bgl all the approach data, the GPS receiver is listing all approach data twice. FSX is reading all the approach data in the root file and then again in the br2_ bgl. This is a sure CTD when entering the active AI Zone from different sectors.

A warning should exsist not to change any of the Parking Spot Codes when woking with the AFCAD program. If any parking Code is changed such as GATE_G 2 to GATE_C 4 the Jetway can no longer find the spot and will cause the Jetway to disappear.

Jetway element statements must have a cooresponding Parking Spot listed. The Jetway uses 2 different codes to find the Planes door.

The first hard code controls which way the Jetway moves. If the Parking Spot and Jetway are not the same as in my example below the Jetway will go to the Parking Spot that it is assigned. This maybe no where near the correct position so the Jetway will extend until the slip joints seperate trying to reach the wrong Parking Spot (when a plane is parked).

The default KATL FSX airport has this problem on both Concourse C and D where some of the Jetways and Parking Spots are not in sync. The Jetway rotates in the wrong direction and trys to dock at the plane door which is parked to the left of the Jetway.

gateName="GATE_C" parkingNumber="10">

type="GATE_SMALL"

name="GATE_C"

number="12"

Another area of concern is all 5.0M parking spots are the Fuel Trucks that go to the AI planes automatically and the User plane by Shift F.

All the 16.0M type parking is a Fuel Parking Spot so the Fuel Truck visits the visual Fuel Pumps which simulates refueling the tank.

Many airports do not have a Fuel Truck or enough Fuel Trucks such as KATL. Using the GA_DOCK, Airline Code VEHI works well for pulling it out of the FSX bgl and then finding it and puting it back replacing with correct element tags. However, GA_DOCK when compiling reverts back to GATE instead of the needed type=Parking for FSX to understand that we want to add a new Fuel Truck if needed.

Hope some of this will be helpful if you plan to update your great program.

The method works great!

Also, I've verified that AFCAD2 can be successfully coupled to FSX via FSUIPC4, as previously done with FS9. This allows slewing FSX/AFCAD2 together for accurate placement of parking, taxiway and apron nodes, etc. Press "padlock" icon in AFCAD2 with FSX running (and FSUIPC4 properly installed).

Hi Burkhard,

Got it working on EGNM (Leeds UK)

However one line did cause an error until I removed it

- alternateFixedDistance="TRUE"

Thought you'd like to know.

Chris

Hello,

Please excuse my obvious ignorance but I am totally stumped by the earlier posts that refer to the airport locations and bgl files to use.

The grid system to find LAX in folder 0302 is easily understood but the reference to 2520 is a mystery. There are several references to this but at no time is it made clear how exactly to determine which one to use. Someone suggests using TmfViewer to find out but once again it is almost as if one is assumed to know what this is all about.

The SDK mentions Hong Kong in large grid square 0903 then goes on to state that the airport is in small grid square 7824. Once again 7824 is meaningless to me.

Perhaps some kind soul could point me to a post or reference that clarifies this. :?

Hello,

Please excuse my obvious ignorance but I am totally stumped by the earlier posts that refer to the airport locations and bgl files to use.

The grid system to find LAX in folder 0302 is easily understood but the reference to 2520 is a mystery. There are several references to this but at no time is it made clear how exactly to determine which one to use. Someone suggests using TmfViewer to find out but once again it is almost as if one is assumed to know what this is all about.

The SDK mentions Hong Kong in large grid square 0903 then goes on to state that the airport is in small grid square 7824. Once again 7824 is meaningless to me.

Perhaps some kind soul could point me to a post or reference that clarifies this. :?

The formulas will be in the next versions maual. If you divide the earth from -180 to 180 Lon in 96 parts, and from +90 to -90 Lat into 64 parts, you get square with 3.75 degrees size in Lon and 2.8125 deg in Lat - the old landclass tiles. If you count the from the let top in Alaska as 0000, you get the quads.

Thanks for you reply. After some serious navel gazing and staring at what now appears to be obvious, I think I have solved my problem.

I just opened the worldlc.bgl with the viewer and noticed that it seemd to be showing me the directories and files. Picked the one that I thought was correct and voila when opened I could zoom right in on my airport in Hawaii.

cvx0624.bgl. Now I know where to start...I think

Just a note of thanks to you all. Even this dummy was able to create a small change to KATL with success.

Thanks so much for your help ! :D

Here's another means of finding in which APXxxxxx.bgl a particular airport is located. Much easier than identifying quads, etc.

Download a free time-unlimited version of PowerDesk 6. It's a file manager alternative to Windows Explorer (not to be confused with Internet Explorer). The trial version includes pop-up ads but is fully functional and will not expire. I opted to purchase the Pro version when they had reduced pricing a few months ago, and I've used at least two earlier versions. Download link is http://www.v-com.com/product/PowerDesk_Free_Trial.html

After installing PowerDesk, browse to the FSX\Scenery folder, then press F3 to open the File Finder. On the General tab, type APX*.bgl and check the box for "Include subfolders. On the Contents tab, insert the desired ICAO code, such as KORD, or text name, such as O'Hare. Finally, press the Find Now button, and the finder will show APX24170.bgl in scenery folder 0302, for either contents KORD or O'Hare.

The registered Pro version includes a checkbox on the Contents tab of the File Finder for "Show matching text." I use this feature to confirm what contents are found. According to the PowerDesk 6 features matrix, this feature may not be included in the free trial Standard version.

I've had one case where the finder could not find the ICAO code, but it found the text name of the airport in several APX*.bgl files, and after using the shredder on each of these bgl's, I found the desired airport.

Will appreciate reading feedback on experiences using PowerDesk 6 or other alternatives for finding which APX file contains a desired airport. Hopefully, there are other simple means of finding file contents.

Doug

The same method works well in Total Commander also.

You have to press Alt-F7 for Search, then fill the Search for: field (apx*.*) and the Find text: field.

Dinya Tamás

Can someone help me..?

When I try to compile using the 'Newbglanalyse' it's saving it as a text file instead of xml.

It's says xml*,txt*....and then the file comes out as a text document. AF2 is not recognising it.

NewBGLAnaluse does not compile code, it decompiles code. You take an existing BGL file, decompile it to either a TXT file or an XML file, but they're the same except for the extension.

When you go to compile, you take the XML file and run it through BGLComp to produce the new BGL file.

Please, provide exact information of what is in the directory. Using NewBGLanalyse, you can also decompile to an XML extension, just click onto AF2_XXXX.xml to be overwritten and it will do.

If you save to AF2_XXXX.txt, that is fine too, but before you can rename that you have to check that the original AF2_XXXX.xml is no longer there, so maybe rename it to AF2_XXXX_fromFSX.xml first, than you can rename the txt file to the xml file.

A new version got uploaded to http://www.fsrail.com\X2AF2X.zip

It takes acount of some of the comments here, has a complete airport seletion, can handle airports that have no visible tower, and has some more info in the manual. including how to find the quad and typical errors.

Also a small option to change stock radii is included, the most important to change the 23m that makes an A300 a medium and a 767 a heavy aircraft gets shifted to 27m, to keep the 764 as medium, but 772/A330 as heavy.

What this product cannot solve is the fact that the airports that are found in FSX, or at least some of them, have been made with a tool different to the one we have in the SDK, contain code that we cannot create, and have been compiled with parameters that are rejected with the current compilers.

OK, updated again. Most airports outside of the UK should work now. There is a special problem with many airports only in the UK that needs fixing next.