The simFlight Network Forums
Burkhard

Modification of FSX airports using AFCAD2

Nice set of tools and good instructions. Only problem I've encountered so far is that upon recompiling, com type = "ASOS" becomes com type = " " which the bglcompX does not like.

Thanks, I never came across that, but others, like the clearence_remote_delivery. At laeast one can repair by hand by now.

Many thanks for this new tools to make changes to airports, using AfCAD2. I supplied some Dutch airbases with ramps, following the work-around of Burkhardt. So I have those BR2_****.bgl files. The work-around tells me that we know what to do with these file. I feel ashamed and a dummy but I really don't know how to proceed. Could anyone help me? Many thanks.

Burkhard,

Thanks for the quick answer. Somehow there must be a way to implement the BR2****.bgl files back to the original APK*****.bgl, overwriting the previous airport files. You did that while making MyTrafficX with EHGR and perhaps other Dutch airports also. I don't know how that can be done and need help.

Secondly I have planned to modify all the Dutch airports that don't have parking facilities. Up until now, I modified EHLW AB and EHTW AB. When I have finished this job I will upload those modified airports, together with new aircraft and flightplans (generated with Traffic Tools). I used those with FS2004 and it works for FSX. The upload is promised as soon I finish the job. For now, my problem is to get those modified airports back in its original APX*****.bgl file.

There's no need to merge the BR2*.bgl file into the APX*.bgl file!

In FS2004, AFCAD files in a higher scenery layer take precedence over data in default airport and scenery files. You see this in the AFCAD program when you call up an airport and you see the original file, and you see a "modified" file. The modified file is the AFCAD AF2*.bgl file.

Likewise, placing BR2*.bgl files in \MyTraffic\scenery folder causes airport and facilities data in that file to take precedence over the data in the APX file, because the MyTraffic\scenery folder is in a higher layer in scenery.cfg file.

Doug

P.S. I've prepared a simplified step-by-step checklist for Burkhard's procedure. It's attached.

Using AFCAD with FSX.zip

Yes, that is nothing but normal scenery priority - and that works for XML made scenery. One of the few things that work...

Just a word of warning - ttools made schedules are incompatible to FSX. FSX can show traffic either in the backwards compatible FS9 mode or in FSX mode, but not a mix of both - ttools format is FS8 format.

On the other hand, trafficdatabasebuilder format is much easier to read or write than ttools - so either use MyTraffic Editor 5.0b or Trafficdatabasebuilder X for schedules.

I keep getting this error when trying to merge fsx xml.

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Desktop\ass\X2AF2X\FSX_KSHV.xml'.

File name: 'C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Desktop\ass\X2AF2X\FSX_KSHV.xml'

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)

at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path, Encoding encoding, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, Int32 bufferSize)

at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path)

at X2AF2X.Form1.openFileDialog2_FileOk(Object sender, CancelEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.FileDialog.OnFileOk(CancelEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.FileDialog.DoFileOk(IntPtr lpOFN)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

X2AF2X

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/HP_Administrator/Desktop/ass/X2AF2X/X2AF2X.exe

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Anyone know what I can do?

Best zip all the files you have of that airport and send them to me, so that I can run it through the debugger. Most like in this airport some order of objects is different to others, I had some of these and removed them, but there will be more that follow.

Claws,

In some cases I got identical errors when merging modified Dutch airport files with X2AF2X.exe. It was a lucky shot but I discovered that in all those cases the FSX_ICAO.xml file was incomplete.

Try this out: Open your FSX_ICAO.xml with your Window editor. When the FSX_ICAO.xml file ends with , then add the following lines:

availability="YES"/>

availability="YES"/>

availability="YES"/>

Save the modified file and try to merge it again. It works for me.

Henk

Can you just give an example where this happens. It is about the type of problem I described above, or tried to...

It happened while I was modifying the smaller Dutch airports and airbases. I attach 2 BR_ICAO.xml files from the FSX\scenry database as an example. BR_EHAL.xml, what after reading in with X2AF2X gives an incomplete FSX_EHAL.xml file and BR_EHMZ.xml, what after reading in with X2AF2X gives a complete FSX_EHMZ.xml file.

Burkhard there is really no need to modify the files with AFCAD2. Simply split the files by reading in and try then to merge them again. In the case of EHAL you get an error in the case of EHMZ merging goes well.

If you look at the differences between FSX_EHAL.xml and EHMZ.xml, you can see that the fuel services are missing in FSX_EHAL.xml.

BR_ICAO.zip

Burkhard,

Just finished my work, updating/modifying 17 Dutch airports. I planned uploading these files and some other (perhaps interesting stuff) at Flightsim.com. Are you interested? If yes, what do you suggest.

Henk

Yes, I'm very interested. Today I managed to work on a new version, which deals with airports wihich haven't got anything by MS, and solves the G- problem. Uploading tomorrow or tuesday.

For the ease of all of us, just upload to flightsim and post the filename here, so that everybody can download. I will go and have a look on them...

Hi Burkhard

I've been happily using your X2AF2 tools but have run into a snag.

The latest version of BglanalyzeX decodes the TaxiwaySigns objects.

Is it possible for your program to recombine the AF2 and FSX files including this data?

Just a thought

Cheers

Chris

This may have already been asked and answered but I could not find it easily.

Will Navaids like ILS created with AFCAD transfer to FSX correctly using the creation process in its present state?

If so, do we have to do something specific to make them active or appear in FSX?

The ILS structures are part of the runway structures in FSX. So I do not see why it should not work, you may want to inspect the code for them though before you release the airport.