The simFlight Network Forums

Getting in a Flap

Sorry about that had to do it though.

FSUIPC4 & FSX

I have setup one of my axis for the flaps.

Used the Axis Assignment and calibration okay. The only problem I am getting is the flaps go from off to full in just 45 degs of the axis. Where as the axis is about 110 degs. Is there any way of spacing the increments out over the whole axis.

regards

Tony

The only problem I am getting is the flaps go from off to full in just 45 degs of the axis. Where as the axis is about 110 degs. Is there any way of spacing the increments out over the whole axis.

Yes, of course. It's what we call "calibration". Before setting any detentes or increments, establish the minimum and maximum positions, allowing a little "dead zone" at either end to allow for jitter.

If you are doing this in FSUIPC, you will find step-by-step numbered instructions for calibrating properly in the User guide.

Regards

Pete

Found it

Cheers Pete.

p.s. when calibrating for 'Aircraft Specific' it saves for that aircraft, okay. So why when you want to make changes, is the 'Aircraft Specific' greyed out so you can't untick to save as for a default aircraft, e.g. flaps? When checking the ini file the flaps bit is saved in the 'Aircraft Specific' not default. Is it safe to cut and paste it back into the default 'Joytick Calibration'?

when calibrating for 'Aircraft Specific' it saves for that aircraft, okay. So why when you want to make changes, is the 'Aircraft Specific' greyed out so you can't untick to save as for a default aircraft, e.g. flaps?

Because by that time the tables are set up to deal with that aircraft only. If you were able to do that, you'd lose the aircraft-specific setting for that aircraft -- when you exited from the options by pressing "OK" (which is when they are saved), what would you expect to happen for the current aircraft?

I did have it with such flexibility and more originally, but different folks expected different results and everyone (including me) got confused, so I made it nice and simple and clear-cut. Then it always works the same, no surprises.

The best way to set al this stuff is to do everything you want to do generally, without it being aircraft-specific. Most things then apply okay to most planes. Only then do you start making specific assignments to specific planes. Then, if you add a new third party plane, you have your defaults operating naturally and only need to make specific changes.

When checking the ini file the flaps bit is saved in the 'Aircraft Specific' not default. Is it safe to cut and paste it back into the default 'Joytick Calibration'?

Yes of course. You can edit the stuff in the INI file as much as you like. Best to make a backup copy first, just in case.

Regards

Pete