The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC 3.712

Installed FSUIPC 3.712 today after starting FS9 I found I was now unregistered and FS Realtime & AI Smooth were not working. I tried reentering my keycode with no luck, code was accepted but made no difference. Reinstalled 3.71 all is back to normal.

Installed FSUIPC 3.712 today after starting FS9 I found I was now unregistered and FS Realtime & AI Smooth were not working. I tried reentering my keycode with no luck, code was accepted but made no difference. Reinstalled 3.71 all is back to normal.

Hmmm. Can't see any problem here. Can you ZIP your FSUIPC.KEY file and send it to petedowson@btconnect.com please?

I'm now using a different compressor and the code is properly signed (for virus protection). This is using the same techniques as in my FSX version (FSUIPC4). There may be some sort of error, but I have tested it here and see no problems.

Thanks,

Regards

Pete

Thanks for the KEY file. I've tried that here and cannot make it fail at all. I'm really puzzled about this.

The only thing I can think of is that the signature checking mechansim isn't working correctly on your system for some reason. Can you tell me what version of Windows you are using please?

Can you also right click on the DLL, select Properties, and see if there's a "Digital Signatures" tab? If there is click it. It should show the DLL as being signed by me, Peter L. Dowson and have a Timestamp shown there of 14 December 2006 13:24:55 (you may need to change some field widths to see the time -- or just click "Details" and read it there).

Note that if you are using WinMe or earlier this may explain it. I'm not sure that these facilities were implemented back then. Hence the IMPORTANT note in the Announcement.

Regards

Pete

Thanks for the quick reply

Using Windows XP SP1

DLL is signed Peter L Dowson Thursday December 14, 2006 8:24:55 am

Even if FSUIPC wasn't registered I think FSRealtime & AI Smooth should have connected and they acted as if it wasn't there. Im now using 3.71 with no problems I also had no problems with 3.711

Using Windows XP SP1

DLL is signed Peter L Dowson Thursday December 14, 2006 8:24:55 am

Hmmm. That's should be okay, unless there's some difference in the signing system between SP! and SP2. Any reason you are sticking to the older XP release?

Even if FSUIPC wasn't registered I think FSRealtime & AI Smooth should have connected and they acted as if it wasn't there.

No, the problem you are getting is what would happen if FSUIPC thinks the code has been tampered with. If it has, then the signature should say it's invalid too, so it obviously hasn't. The code I use to check the signature inside FSUIPC is, as far as I'm aware, identical to the way Windows checks it -- that's why I asked you to look for the Signature details.

Im now using 3.71 with no problems I also had no problems with 3.711

Of course not -- the change to use signatures instead of my old sumcheck/CRC checking system is new in 3.712. Now that I have paid for an (expensive) software publishing certificate I am using it for all new releases. With the number of false virus alarms being attributed to my compressed and zipped modules these days, I feel it is beneficial in any case to give users the assurance of a proper signed certificate. When Vista comes along it will be a necessity in any case otherwise you will get security warnings.

I am stumped at present as to why the certificate checking inside FSUIPC isn't working on your system. Until I get some more reports I'm not sure I can do anything, though I'll have a look at the code and maybe add some diagnostic logging to see where it is going awry. Perhaps, if I email you a test version (probably 3.713) you could try it and return the Log?

Regards,

Pete

Could you check whether you have a "WinTrust.dll" installed in Windows please? Do a search on your Windows folder. If it is there, could you right-click it and check the version number.

I found many websites where you can download and install WinTrust.dll, so it may just be that it wasn't an original part of WinXP. See here, for instance:

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-fl?wintrust

If that DLL isn't installed, or possibly if it isn't supporting the interface I'm using, it would explain your reported problems. I cannot tell here as all my PCs are fully updated to the latest versions of everything in WinXP.

Regards

Pete

Have WinTrust.dll 5.131.2600.0 its in C:\I386 folder & C:\Windows\System32 folder

I'm sending FSUIPC 3.713 which is sepcial in that it contains extra logging. Please check the Email, as you'll need to get an extra program to capture the logging.

BTW, why ARE you still on WinXP SP1? I don't think that should be a problem, but I've now tried 3.712 on all my systems and it is okay on all -- but then they are all SP2 + later updates.

Regards

Pete

Thanks again for the quick reply and all your extra work on this problem.

Downloaded dbgView.exe & installed 3.713

Ran dbgView then started FS9, nothing was displayed or logged by dbgView.

So until I have more time to look at this again i'll stick with 3.71

Once again thanks for all the help and sorry for any inconvience

Thanks again for the quick reply and all your extra work on this problem.

Downloaded dbgView.exe & installed 3.713

Ran dbgView then started FS9, nothing was displayed or logged by dbgView.

Ersomething wasn't installed then. Please check the FSUIPC.LOG, see if you really did have 3.713 installed.

Perhaps it needs "Debug=Please" added to the [General] section of the FSUIPC.INI file. It shouldn't but that should certainly make it display the normal log entries "live" at least.

So until I have more time to look at this again i'll stick with 3.71

Once again thanks for all the help and sorry for any inconvience

The problem is that I don't know why it is happening. The debug log should have showed me.

Can't you tell me at all why you are stuck on WinXP SP1? As well as SP2 there have been hundreds of updates and fixes for WinXP. I'm concerned that it is a WinXP problem.

Regards

Pete

3.713 was installed I triple checked that.

As far as XP SP1 just a personal choice until this one incident never had any major problems with XP, FS8, FS9 or any other program in the last 4.5 years.

If it is a XP problem it may become more apparent if there is a v3.72 in the future.

Hi, Pete:

I'm also on XP Pro SP1 because I have a non-related app that does not like SP2.

Same problem with 3712 not recognizing my full registration. Properties show your signed certificate and wintrust.dll is in place.

I went to 3711.

3.713 was installed I triple checked that.

If it is a XP problem it may become more apparent if there is a v3.72 in the future.

3.712 is the "Release Candidate" for 3.72. I release interim versions in order to resolve any problems before making a general issue and withdrawing support from the older one. If it were not for this problem I would be releasing 3.72 soon after Christmas.

I don't know whether it is some difference between SP1 and SP2 or something else, and I cannot find out without some help from someone who is experiencing the problem. so far there's only you. When do you think you may have more time to try things, please?

Regards

Pete

Cant say at this time, Wife thinks I already spent too much time at the computer

Well, before you fire up FS again, please check in the announcements above. Look for FSUIPC 3.714 or later. I am now adding more persistent logging in the case of a signature problem, and if there are any errors they will appear in your normal FSUIPC Log file, without the need for DebugView.

Don't bother before tomorrow though -- take the rest of the day off and fuss the wife! ;-). Just don't use 3.71 next time.

Let me know when you have a result, and show me the Log then, please.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

I'm now ungregistered too (FSUIPC3 & WideFS6) after installing v3.712 & v3.714. I'm using Windows XP x64 (64-bit). I've never had a problem with Keys until these two beta versions of FSUIPC3.

Simply dropping back to v3.711 and restarting FS9 appears to restore my registration.

WinTrust.dll (C:\windows\system32) = v5.131.3790.1830 / March 25, 2005

The following is from my FSUIPC.log when running v3.714.

Al Jordan

******** FSUIPC, Version 3.714 by Pete Dowson *********

Verifying Certificate for "E:\Flight Simulator 9\MODULES\FSUIPC.dll" now ...

FAILURE! "WinVerifyTrustEx" error 0x80092003:

This return is non-standard, possibly specific to trust provider

Running inside FS2004 (FS9.1 CONTROLS.DLL, FS9.1 WEATHER.DLL)

User Name="correct / edited for posting"

User Addr="correct / edited for posting"

FSUIPC Key is provided

WideFS Key is provided

Module base=61000000

ClassOptions: UIPCMAIN=FF7F, FS98MAIN=FF7F, FS2KMAIN=FF5E

******** FSUIPC, Version 3.714 by Pete Dowson *********

Verifying Certificate for "E:\Flight Simulator 9\MODULES\FSUIPC.dll" now ...

Yes, there are now two of you. John's is the same error.

That error number isn't in the main programming references I have, but a search via Google found this:

80092003 CRYPT_E_FILE_ERROR Error while reading or writing to the file

Which is very strange. Why would the certificate system have problems reading or writing the file? Is it protected in some way, read only or anything? I don't think that affects it in any case.

I am very suspicious of this, and I am concerned that it is actually a WinXP bug which has been corrected in a later version. I will have to contact GlobalSign, the Trust Authority for the signing facilities I use, to see what can be done. This may take a while. :-(

WinTrust.dll (C:\windows\system32) = v5.131.3790.1830 / March 25, 2005

That's certainly later than John's (which is 5.131.2600.0). Mine is 5.131.2600.2180 dated Feb 28th 2006. Strange that it is a lot later but your version number seems higher! Odd or what?

It might be worth, in both your cases, to try just replacing that one DLL. Rename it and download the update from someplace like

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-fl?wintrust

which is the link I gave earlier. That site has the same (up to date) version I am using (5.131.2600.2180). Could one or both of you try, please, and let me know?

Otherwise, and this is less likely, possibly the GlobalSign certificate, which is supplied as part of Windows, is corrupted in your systems. That really does seem most unlikerly, though, and I'm not sure how you'd repair that. You could try right-clicking on te FSUIPC.DLL, selecting Properties, Signature, details, then "Install", to see if it can install the Root certificate properly.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete

sorry, but I had also to switch back, but in my case 3.712 is OK.

FSUIPC 3.714 is doing crasy things, it "plays" with the Offsets.

It sets and resets Offsets by its own willing.

The FSUIPC.log shows

********* FSUIPC, Version 3.714 by Pete Dowson *********

Verifying Certificate for "D:\Flight Simulator 9\MODULES\FSUIPC.dll" now ...

User Name="Thomas Richter"

Hi Pete, think I have a prob of different kind.When putting version 3.714 in the modules folder (and same with previous version 3.712 and I am registered user) when I start FS9 I get an error message stating: "FSUIPC version too old.Need at least version 3.48 or later.Flight Simulator will close now.".When putting version 3.71 back in all goes well.Any ideas?

Much appreciated.

Regards...Marc

Pete,

With 3.714, I am getting this:

Verifying Certificate for "D:\fs2004\MODULES\FSUIPC.dll" now ...

User Name="Doug Dawson"

User Addr="douglassdawson@netscape.net"

FSUIPC Key is provided

WIDEFS not user registered, or expired

Module base=61000000

ClassOptions: UIPCMAIN=FF7F, FS98MAIN=FF7F, FS2KMAIN=FF5E

WeatherOptions(Orig)=40003605[40003605]

InitDelay: 0 seconds

WeatherReadInterval=4

LogOptions=00000001

DebugStatus=15

WINTRUST.DLL is version 5.131.2600.2180, dated Aug 4, 2004.

Despite FSUIPC reporting in the log that it is registered, it runs in the game as unregistered.

I had previously clicked on the FSUIPC certificate to install it in the certificate store.

Doug Dawson

sorry, but I had also to switch back, but in my case 3.712 is OK.

FSUIPC 3.714 is doing crasy things, it "plays" with the Offsets.

It sets and resets Offsets by its own willing.

The FSUIPC.log shows

Verifying Certificate for "D:\Flight Simulator 9\MODULES\FSUIPC.dll" now ...

User Name="Thomas Richter"

Thomas, this shows that the Certificate checking is failing on your system. This is why the "offsets" don't work. It is the same thing that happens when a pirated key is used or when the code is tampered with -- that is the whole point of the checking!

But 3.712 and 3.714 are identical in all respects EXCEPT the logging of the signature checking, so when you say "3.712 is OK" I suspect you MUST mean 3.711 or 3.710!?

If you do actually mean 3.712, please do a run with it and show me the log -- a complete log, start FS and close FS please. I have made no other changes between 3.712 and 3.714 except for the extra logging, and that is all done during initialisation, and there is no way I can see that logging the errors in the signatire check makes it fail if it succeeded before!

:-(

Are you running FSX on the same system? Because FSUIPC4 contains EXACTLY the same certificate checking code.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete, think I have a prob of different kind.When putting version 3.714 in the modules folder (and same with previous version 3.712 and I am registered user) when I start FS9 I get an error message stating: "FSUIPC version too old.Need at least version 3.48 or later.Flight Simulator will close now.".When putting version 3.71 back in all goes well.Any ideas?

When FSUIPC won't run because of the signature check failure, the version number isn't readable through the offsets -- programs attempting it will get rubbish.

I've no idea what program is telling you that "FSUIPC is too old", but it is not FSUIPC of course, but another add-in or add-on, and it is really nothing whatsoever to do with the current investigation into the signature checking problems.

Please, tell me what Windows version you are using and what version your "WinTrust.DLL" is.

Thank you.

Pete

WINTRUST.DLL is version 5.131.2600.2180, dated Aug 4, 2004.

Ah, damn. That's a pity. I was hoping my WinTrust.DLL (same version number as yours but dated 2006!) was the "cure".

There must be something else different.

What Windows version, please? So far, of those who have told me about this, they all all still on XP SP1 or WinXP x64. All my systems are fuly up to date and are SP2 and I cannot reprodcue the problem.

Are you running FSX on the same system? Because FSUIPC4 contains EXACTLY the same certificate checking code.

Regards

Pete

What Windows version, please? So far, of those who have told me about this, they all all still on XP SP1 or WinXP x64. All my systems are fuly up to date and are SP2 and I cannot reprodcue the problem.

Regards

Pete

Yes, running FSUIPC4, v4.064 - seems to be working OK.

I'm running WinXP, SP2. It's a reasonably fresh install. Just checked with Windows Update - it's not showing any critical updates that I need.

Doug

Yes, running FSUIPC4, v4.064 - seems to be working OK.

I'm running WinXP, SP2. It's a reasonably fresh install. Just checked with Windows Update - it's not showing any critical updates that I need.

I'm really really puzzled by this. I have the exact same certificate checking code in both FSUIPC4 and FSUIPC3 (since 3.712), and they both work fine in my systems here, yet I now have 5 users reporting that FSUIPC 3.712 or later fails on its certificate self-check (not on a user check) whilst FSUIPC4 doesn't on at least yours and probably Thomas's systems.

So it doesn't appear to be bug in WinXP or its DLLs.

I've tracked down the specific error being reported as from CRYPT32.DLL, and it is a file read/write error. But what that can be I've no idea.

I'll be trying a few more little changes here and issuing updates until this is resolved. I feel it is important for the future -- I really want to get all my programs and modules into the same secure system if possible. (If nothing else it makes maximum use of the fees I paid for the certification, but I think it is going to be quite important for Vista in any case).

Look out for 3.715 to try tomorrow.

Thanks,

Pete