The simFlight Network Forums

Unable to get Add Ons loaded in FSX

And do the joysticks now not work in FSX?

No. Cool. I just figured out how this quote button works.

A copy of what? The whole announcement? Huh?

Show me the Simconnect.INI file you have made please.

Thanks for your support. Is this UK humor? Here is the simconnect.ini file. I've never done anything like this before so I hope the way I created the file was correct?

[simConnect]

level=Verbose

console=No

file=C:\SimConnect%01u.Log

file_max_index=9

simconnect.ini file is located in my documents/flight simulator X files. Tonight I am going to copy all our correspondence and start at the beginning step by step. Hopefully my learning curve will increase and success will be at the end of the excercise. Such as learning how to get to the FSXhelp: in the forum from the post a reply page. Not easy is you don't know how to do that. Expecially at the age of 62. Thanks.

And do the joysticks now not work in FSX?

No.

Well, if you truly have "NoAxisIntercepts=No" in the FSUIPC4.INI file, and FSUIPC4 still cannot see the axis values, then Simconnect is certainly being blocked.

Can you show me the FSUIPC4.LOG for this (and the FSUIPC4.INI to double check).

Thanks for your support. Is this UK humor?

Is what, exactly, "UK humor"??? Sorry, you seem to be going completely off-topic. Can you explain what you are talking about?

[simConnect]

level=Verbose

console=No

file=C:\SimConnect%01u.Log

file_max_index=9

simconnect.ini file is located in my documents/flight simulator X files.

That should be okay. The Simconnect log files (up to 10 of them) should be created in your C:\ root folder when you run FSX.

If it isn't, you certainly do have a broken SimConnect and need to try to do the repair as described in that FSX Help announcement.

Such as learning how to get to the FSXhelp: in the forum from the post a reply page.

How do you actually manage to GET to the "post a reply" page (whatever that is, I don't see it) without going to the Forum first? I am really at a loss to understand how you could possibly MISS the Entire Forum, which is where you get to from any of my links. How did you first get here???

Not easy is you don't know how to do that. Expecially at the age of 62. Thanks.

What has being 62 got to do with it? I am 64 this year. And I don't know how you are getting to these messages WITHOUT seeing the Announcements -- what sort of browser are you using that can do that?

:-(

Regards

Pete

If it isn't, you certainly do have a broken SimConnect and need to try to do the repair as described in that FSX Help announcement.

Re installed simconnect with the repair utility. No improvement.

How do you actually manage to GET to the "post a reply" page (whatever that is, I don't see it) without going to the Forum first? I am really at a loss to understand how you could possibly MISS the Entire Forum, which is where you get to from any of my links. How did you first get here???

I click onto the link I receive in my emails from you in outlook express. Try out the link. Completely bypasses the forum.

Hello,

You are receiving this email because you are watching the topic, "Unable to get Add Ons loaded in FSX" at The simFlight Network. This topic has received a reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.p149#367149

Pete.

1. I reset all defaults in FSX. This gave me back ailerons, elevators, brakes, throtttle. In FSUIPC joystick calibration I have In OUT number changes with movement on ailerons, elevators, rudder, and throttle. on learning module takeoff, the cesna 172 has aileron movement, elevator movement, brakes. No rudder. Had to set it up as auto rudder. Now when I move the throttle forward to increase in speed, the throttle fluctuates in and out and does not build speed even after setting up with auto mixture. It doesn't appear that FSuipc4 has taken over control of the joystick functions. Also, I am still not generating a simconnect log on my C: drive. I am about to can the whole damn thing and go back to Flight sim 2002. Time to go night night.

Re installed simconnect with the repair utility. No improvement.

Okay. In that case, short of reformatting your hard disk and reinstalling windows and FS from scratch, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. All the things I've advised you about have worked for others with SimConnect problems so far. I'm sorry that you are having these problems but I'm afraid it is now Microsoft support you need to talk to.

I am sure that, compared with the many thousands of users of FSX and SimConnect, the ones with problems are very few, but it can be terribly frustrated when you are one of those few.

I have reported, in detail, direct to my contacts in Microsoft, the several different problems that have been reported to me, and I know other add-on producers are doing exactly the same, whilst also losing their hair and becoming as bald as me in the process. My main problem in reporting the problems is that I have never managed to actually reproduce any of them, and I have FSX installed on four PCs or different types and ages.

I click onto the link I receive in my emails from you in outlook express.

Emails? I haven't sent you any emails.

Try out the link. Completely bypasses the forum.

How frustrating! So I go to all the trouble of getting SimFlight to set me up a Forum specifically because email support (as I used to provide over three years ago) is so inefficient and time consuming, and you bypass it all? Why? The Announcements themselves are there for a purpose, but, more importantly, by never bothering to peruse other threads and messages you miss all the hints, tips and solutions discussed with everyone else. I don't understand why you'd want to ignore such an advantage over email.

1. I reset all defaults in FSX. This gave me back ailerons, elevators, brakes, throtttle. In FSUIPC joystick calibration I have In OUT number changes with movement on ailerons, elevators, rudder, and throttle.

So when you said above that repairing SimConnect made no difference, you were mistaken? In the last message there was no response to joysticks in FSUIPC4! What is going on? It sounds like it is all okay now?

on learning module takeoff, the cesna 172 has aileron movement, elevator movement, brakes. No rudder. Had to set it up as auto rudder. Now when I move the throttle forward to increase in speed, the throttle fluctuates in and out and does not build speed even after setting up with auto mixture. It doesn't appear that FSuipc4 has taken over control of the joystick functions.

It won't do anything of the sort by itself. But let's take this one step at a time:

1. Do I now assume that ALL of your previous complaints are solved, done with, finished? If FSUIPC4 can see your joystick movements, then it is working, SimConnect is okay. Please confirm this is indeed what you mean after all this hiatus.

2. First, before trying to se FSUIPC4 for joystick calibration, get things working as well as you can in FSX itself. To start with you must calibrate your joysitcks and pedals in Windows "Game Controllers". Then check the assignments in FSX, and make sure that all the Sensitivity settings are at maximum and the null zones at or near minimum.

This is all nothing to do with FSUIPC4. If you have things set correctly in FSX it should most certainly be as flyable as Microsoft intended. They don't sell FSX specifically for folks to add FSUIPC4 on to in order to fly it!

3. FSUIPC4 will not touch the values until you tell it it. The input values will simply be copied to the output values. To use FSUIPC's calibration, you must follw the step-by-step instructions in the User Guide. They are very easy, involving the use of mouse clicking as well as joystick movement.

If you make a mess just close FSX, delete the FSUIPC4.INI file from the FSX Modules folder, and start again.

Also, I am still not generating a simconnect log on my C: drive. I am about to can the whole damn thing and go back to Flight sim 2002.

Odd that you would give up after apparently solving everything you were complaining about in the first place. But as I said right at the beginning, maybe FSX was a mistake for you -- on a 3.2Gb PC you'd have to either turn most of the new stuff off, or spend many hours tweaking in any case. Your PC is, however, well suited to FS2004, which looks like remaining very popular for quite some time yet.

Regards

Pete

Emails? I haven't sent you any emails.

I receive emails from:

SubjectIn : Topic Reply Notification - Unable to get Add Ons loaded in FSX

Reply-To: francois@simflight.com

How frustrating! So I go to all the trouble of getting SimFlight to set me up a Forum specifically because email support (as I used to provide over three years ago) is so inefficient and time consuming, and you bypass it all? Why? The Announcements themselves are there for a purpose, but, more importantly, by never bothering to peruse other threads and messages you miss all the hints, tips and solutions discussed with everyone else. I don't understand why you'd want to ignore such an advantage over email.

You know, I don't ever remember ever going to the forum until you directed me to. Initially I typed into google Pete Dowson And it directed me right to the page where I could order FSUIPC4 without going into the forum. Then somehow I typed into google "problems with FCUIPC4" and it took me directly to the page with

ragwood68 Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:40 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I turned off the firewall, and ran the FSX program, looked at the SimConnect log and found lots of loads. Strted a frre fly, tapped the Alt Key and there was the Add On menu. I have since registered my program and are flying high. It appears that Norton Firewall was causing the problem. Disabling the Norton Firewall allowed the program to load properly. It appears that I loaded Norton Internet Scurity to block all and not allow any exceptions. Windows firewall is on and the program is responding as advertised.

back to the focus at hand.

So when you said above that repairing SimConnect made no difference, you were mistaken?

No, there was still no response in FSUIPC4 joystick calibration.

the last message there was no response to joysticks in FSUIPC4! What is going on? It sounds like it is all okay now?

Thats right. Don't know what was going on. When I reset all defaults in FSX, FSUIPC4 joystick calibration faculties had motion responses.

Do I now assume that ALL of your previous complaints are solved, done with, finished? If FSUIPC4 can see your joystick movements, then it is working, SimConnect is okay. Please confirm this is indeed what you mean after all this hiatus.

Guess so.

To start with you must calibrate your joysitcks and pedals in Windows "Game Controllers".

Done

Then check the assignments in FSX, and make sure that all the Sensitivity settings are at maximum and the null zones at or near minimum.

Done

Ran take off lesson. With auto rudder was able to taxi onto run way. Pushed throttle full forward and took off. Throttle seems to be working ok now. Im flying without rudder pedals, but at least I am flying. These rudder pedals are pro pedals with a usb adapter. Even though the calibration utilities (windows and FSUIPC4) records their movement, they don't work the rudder in FSX. I bought them on ebay and I think that is where they are going to get sold. I think I want to replace them with a new set of pro pedals USB.

Still not generating simconnect log. Things are sort of working. Ain't going to monkey them up. I'll let you tech guys fix the problems and notify me of the fix.

But as I said right at the beginning, maybe FSX was a mistake for you

Remember, it was a Christmas present.

on a 3.2Gb PC you'd have to either turn most of the new stuff off, or spend many hours tweaking in any case. Your PC is, however, well suited to FS2004, which looks like remaining very popular for quite some time yet.

What equipment do you have? what GB CPU? this dell computer set up seems to be running fine now and not to slow. Yep, I seriously decided that I may get a copy of FS2004. I found on ebay Microsoft FLIGHT SIMULATOR 2004 A Century of Flight DVD

that it is selling for $19.00 US.

OK Pete, I guess I will leave all well enough alone for now and we are done.

Thanks for your help.

You know, I don't ever remember ever going to the forum until you directed me to. Initially I typed into google Pete Dowson And it directed me right to the page where I could order FSUIPC4 without going into the forum. Then somehow I typed into google "problems with FCUIPC4" and it took me directly to the page

So my placing links on the download page, and in the documentation, and even on the About+Register screen of FSUIPC Options, is all wasted on you, eh? I Support via the Support forum. I think you should take a look now and then, please, or you will miss out on most of the support.

I turned off the firewall, and ran the FSX program, looked at the SimConnect log and found lots of loads. Strted a frre fly, tapped the Alt Key and there was the Add On menu. I have since registered my program and are flying high. It appears that Norton Firewall was causing the problem. Disabling the Norton Firewall allowed the program to load properly. It appears that I loaded Norton Internet Scurity to block all and not allow any exceptions. Windows firewall is on and the program is responding as advertised.

But wasn't all that was mentioned at the start, as well as in the FSUIPC Read Me (part of the download package)? It is even mentioned by Microsoft themselves in their own website. I don't understand how it took so many exchanges here over so many days before you did this.

Thats right. Don't know what was going on. When I reset all defaults in FSX, FSUIPC4 joystick calibration faculties had motion responses.

It sounds like the joysticks weren't assigned or enabled in FSX in the first place!

These rudder pedals are pro pedals with a usb adapter. Even though the calibration utilities (windows and FSUIPC4) records their movement, they don't work the rudder in FSX.

I don't understand that. If they are calibrated and FSUIPC4 shows them providing a good OUT range (about -16000 or so to +16000 or so), for the rudder, then there's really no way FSX can ignore that. UNLESS you've gone to the Steering Tiller page in FSUIPC4 options and enabled that -- then you'd get little or no rudder steering on the ground, but it should still be operable in the air, or on the ground once you get up to speed.

Still not generating simconnect log.

Isn't that another contradiction! Just above you said

"I turned off the firewall, and ran the FSX program, looked at the SimConnect log and found lots of loads."

Things are sort of working. Ain't going to monkey them up. I'll let you tech guys fix the problems and notify me of the fix.

Sorry. Things don't work like that. If you want updates you need to browse the Forums, see what's happening, download fixes, get advice, and so on. There's no waiter service here I'm afraid. It's only self-service.

What equipment do you have? what GB CPU?

As I mentioned earlier, my slowest PC is 3.2Gb. That's the one I do development and debugging on mainly, and FSX runs on it usually in a smallish window so it gets enough frames per second. I have FSX installed also on an Athlon FX-57, an Athlon FX-62 and, my fastest, driving my main 737 cockpit, an Intel Extreme 6800, the fastest around when I bought it in September. I'm afraid I've no idea what their clock rates are these days.

My FSX installations are tweaked like crazy to get decent performance. It takes a lot of time.

Anyway, good flying for now!

Regards

Pete

NO, NO, NO. This was the other guys reply to you.

ragwood68 Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:40 pm Post subject:

"I turned off the firewall, and ran the FSX program, looked at the SimConnect log and found lots of loads."

Again this was from ragwood68 Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:40 pm Post subject:

I don't understand that. If they are calibrated and FSUIPC4 shows them providing a good OUT range (about -16000 or so to +16000 or so), for the rudder, then there's really no way FSX can ignore that. UNLESS you've gone to the Steering Tiller page in FSUIPC4 options and enabled that -- then you'd get little or no rudder steering on the ground, but it should still be operable in the air, or on the ground once you get up to speed.

Thank you. The steering tiller was set but I don't remember doing that. I don't even know what a steering tiller is for yet. I now have rudder pedals One other thing. My mixture lever is showing up as the prop pitch setting in the joystick calibration. What is that all about?

NO, NO, NO. This was the other guys reply to you.

But in my SECOND reply to you, specifically, I said this:

Hmmm. It sounds like you have one of the very serious SimConnect problems which we think must be associated with some anti-virus, firewall or other security program you have installed. It is mentioned in the "FSUIPC4 Read Me" (which of course you didn't, did you?) as Problem Type 2, and whilst there's a workaround (change "NoAxisIntercepts=No" to Yes in the FSUIPC4.INI file, before loading FSUIPC), this loses you the facilities for joystick calibration in FSUIPC4.

But first, could you show me the FSUIPC4.LOG file please (it is in the FSX Modules folder). If it is too big, ZIP it and send it to me at petedowson@btconnect.com.

You may be able to fix the problem by re-installing SimConnect (see the FSX Help announcement at the top of this Forum), but it is more likely that the only fix is to uninstall completely any added security software you have, test it to see if it then works, then gradually add stuff back being very careful what you enable, and testing each time.

and in your reply you said:

Uninstalled free 30 day trial of McAfee firewall, antivirus, etc

So you actually had TWO extra firewalls installed -- McAfee, and Norton? Both being in addition to the built-in Windows firewall?

Again this was from ragwood68 Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:40 pm Post subject:

Erno. You are really confused! In the exact same message as where you said "looked at the SimConnect log and found lots of loads.", but a few paragraphs later, you said

Still not generating simconnect log

How is that not a contradiction?

Regards

Pete

The steering tiller was set but I don't remember doing that. I don't even know what a steering tiller is for yet.

Best not to mess with things you don't understand. Next time delete the FSUIPC4.INI file from the FSX modules folder and start again.

My mixture lever is showing up as the prop pitch setting in the joystick calibration. What is that all about?

How would I know? You tell me! See what you've got it assigned to in FS. Have you never even used FS's joystick settings? You should have done all that long before even looking at FSUIPC! :-(

The FSUIPC4 Joystick Settings options don't change assignments, they only show what FS tells it. They aren't reading your joystick, FS is. FSUIPC's calibrations work on the controls inside FS, not on the joystick values. If the prop pitch values are changing in FSUIPC it is because the prop pitch values are changing in FS.

You can assign axes in FSUIPC4, through its axis assignments options, but all that is separate from FS altogether and really requires you to de-assign everything in FS. As a beginner, I'd advise you not to go there at all.

Pete