The simFlight Network Forums

A bit of help please

Hi guys I apologise that I have not had time to read the developers manual fully but I have very little time to dedicate to FS at the moment. I'm quite computer illiterate too so that doesnt help either!

I was wondering is somebody could simply explain how to do just one thing. Basically I want to be able to press a key to totally disconnect and reconnect my elevator and ailerons axes. I think I've figured so far by skimming the documentation that it has something to do with offset 310A.

Now I've tried adding a key press with Offset Byte Togglebits with x310A in the offset bit but I'm unsure what I should be putting in the parameter section? I'm going to set another key press to reconnect the axes but I am unsure what parameter I should be using for this.

Thanks, sorry once again for not reading the whole manual but I only need this one tiny bit of information.

Thanks

I want to be able to press a key to totally disconnect and reconnect my elevator and ailerons axes.

Hmm. Interesting but rather odd thing to want to do, but it isn't easy even with FSUIPC.

I think I've figured so far by skimming the documentation that it has something to do with offset 310A.

Yes, bits in 310A, when set, will operate the disconnections, but these facilities were intended for program use rather than direct user control, and as it says there the bits are reset (axes reconnected) after about 10 seconds unless the bits are re-written.

Now I've tried adding a key press with Offset Byte Togglebits with x310A in the offset bit but I'm unsure what I should be putting in the parameter section? I'm going to set another key press to reconnect the axes but I am unsure what parameter I should be using for this.

The parameter for both aileron and elevator would be 3 (Bit 0, worth 1, controls the elevator, whilst bit 1, worth 2, controls the aileron connection).

"ToggleBits" reverses the current setting, so it isn't what you want. To disconnect them you need "SetBits" and to reconnect you need "ClrBits".

The problem then, though, is repeating the SetBits every few seconds, so that the safeguard doesn't reconnect the axes. For a keypress you can only really do this by pressing the key combination regularly or holding it down so it repeats.

The button facilities would be a better bet, if the button can be held on (as for a toggle switch) -- you'd use the "control to repeat while held". Assuming you have no holdable button then the only way I can think of doing it is to make the KeyPress set a "virtual button bit", and another press to clear it. Then the virtual button could be programmed as above.

FSUIPC supports 288 "virtual" buttons, each represented by a single bit in one of the offsets fron x3340. To set virtual button #64,0 you'd program your Keypress for an Offset Byte SetBits with offset x3340 and parameter 1. To clear it you'd use Clrbits with the same offset and parameter.

Now, it would be 'nice' if you could then simply go to the Buttons tab, press your keypress, and program it there just as discussed above. Unfortunately, though, at least for this (rather unusual) application, FSUIPC isn't processing your programmed keypresses whilst it is in the Options screens. If you think about it, if it did then problems could easily arise which scupper further attempts to use the options.

So, I'm afraid you'd need to program the virtual button by editing your FSUIPC.INI file. You'd need to add two lines to the [buttons] section (create that if you don't have one):

1=R64,0,C0500310A,3

2=U64,0,C0900310A,3

Change the numbers on the left if these are used alreay -- allocate the next two in sequence.

Details for programming buttons and keys in the INI file are found in the Advanced Users document.

Regards

Pete