The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC 3.71 causes CTD. FSUIPC 3.70 OK.

Just trying to help. I will stop bothering you.

No bother. But if you still can do some testing I will send something when I have something to test. Okay?

So far it looks certain to be a timing problem exacerbating bugs still in FS itself. When I add diagnostics to try to locate the problem on my test sites, it slows things like flight and aircraft loading down, and then there are no CTDs at all. It is thus proving almost impossible to get any information about what is happening.

One thing is for certain now, though. It isn't actually anything in the FSUIPC code -- every part of it is now covered by traps, and they aren't being triggered. The problems are deep in FS's threading somewhere.

If they never occurred with 3.70 or before it was just plain luck.

Regards

Pete

Hello Pete,

Normally I made no long flights but now I am "active" in Australia and I also suffer from CDT's in long flights (+ 1 hour , but sometimes it was less). Like the guys on these thread, I reinstalled 3.70 and the CDT's are gone (at least in the flight I made today. + 3hours)

If I can help you with test something, let me know.

Regards,

Hugo

If I can help you with test something, let me know.

Please see the "Other Downloads" Announcement and try 3.719.

Since uploading 3.719 I've also obtained evidence to show that, with some aircraft, accessing the HSI variables (specifically "HSI Distance") can certainly crash FS9. This is despite using the 'correct' SIM1.DLL procedure calls to obtain them. These variables were added in 3.705 and they are, in fact, at the end of a long list which are obtained on every FS frame using the same method -- none of the others have ever caused any crashes.

I am working out a way of protecting FSUIPC against these accesses when they might lead to an error, but it isn't easy for values accessed procedurally. All my direct accesses into FS memory are simply protected by memory access checks, but I've never tracked these values down to an actual data structure.

Best Regards

Pete

Unfortunately I haven't found any time doing some serious testing by flying with v 3.719. However I started FS and just left it by itself for a couple of hours and that went OK and FS was still running when I got back to the PC, before it most of the times terminated by itself within maybe 15 mins of so and sometimes even faster.

I still get CTD with 3.719, but less frequent now. Thanks for efferts pete, I sticking with FSUIPC 3.70.

Please use 3.719c, not 3.719!!! I know about a possible CTD with 3.719 and fixed it! All other testers are now reporting no problems whatsoever with 3.719c, and it will be released as 3.72 tomorrow or Thursday.

Pete

Hi Gents,

Although there probably is an "inverse" relation between my replies in this thread, and the amount of Emails/Skype-sessions/testhours with Pete :-), I personally am convinced that V3719c is VERY stable.

Being a developper myself, I (and a testfriend of mine) had very frequent CTDs with V371*, untill Pete found the problem and worked around it in V3719c.

Since then, I have a 100+ FS-hours, and must have done a 1000+ aircraft/flight reloads in it, without a single CTD.

Now, one can never be sure that "your" CTDs are caused by the same problem as "mine", but, as Pete said, an evident problem was solved and it surely solved my CTDs.

Thanks again, Pete.

Cheers, Rob Barendregt

Pete,

We're all deeply appreciative for all your sleuthing, coding, and labor on this CTD issue. FS is more fun when it doesn't suddenly go "poof" on finals...

And to Rob and all the testers, thanks for your time and effort.

Best,

Mike MacKuen

I got interested only because I noticed some unusual and unsolicited crashes to desktop since recently after my comeback to FS9. Had not seen any of those before, nor could I recall anything relevant. Thought it was due to my new hardware. So, is V3719c a keeper?

I got a lot of CTDs with FSUIPC3.71 and have the same problem with 2.72 but maybe the problem is SB3.04. I didn't have any trouble on 3.70:

The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( Microsoft Flight Simulator 9.0 ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: fs9.exe, 9.1.0.40901, fsuipc.dll, 3.7.2.0, 00033bf8.

FS2004

XP Pro

AMD 64 X2 2.2 GHz

ASUS M2R32-MVP MB

2GB RAM

ATI Radeon PCI-E 256M Vid

All drivers and bios latest published by manufacturer.

Hi Pete,

I'm just posting to let you know that I had exactly the same issues as Lee and others.

I could'nt fly for any longer than an hour before the sim would hang, and sometimes CTD and occasionally reboot the machine. I tried eveything (but not as extensive as Lee) and could'nt put an end to it.I almost gave up flying altogether. It was just by chance that I located this thread and tried ver3.70 and have been crash free ever since. In fact, I flew for 10 hours non stop without a problem last night.

So, just some more info for you. I'm running an invidia geforce 7800gs,3.0gig proc.,2 gig ram, with PMDG, Wilco,UT,FSGenisis, and a few more.

Regards, Ron

Here is another characteristic of my FS crashes. Every time it crashes, 2-4 of these messages are generated:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 3.

I don't have any detectible viruses or spyware running on my machine. I use professional software to run scans. Also, this is FS with only FSUIPC. No Squawk Box or Active Sky. Recent testing has eliminated those.

-Pv-