The simFlight Network Forums

ActiveSky/FSBuild Question Using WideFS on FS9

I have tried this same question on the FSBuild Support forum with no help, so I am trying it here in hopes of getting the information that I am looking for.

I am using WideFS for my FSBuild and ActiveSky installations. I am having no trouble with them working with FS9, the only problem that I am having is when I want to import a Flight Plan into ActiveSky. FSBuild is using the default directory "k:\micorsoft games\flight simulator 9" for the FS9 export. How can I tell FSBuild to send a flight plan to my "c:\documents and settings\john\my documents\flight simulator files" directory? I had this working before I decided to setup another PC for my WideFS client. Like a fool, I didn't save either cfg files.

Thanks,

John

How can I tell FSBuild to send a flight plan to my "c:\documents and settings\john\my documents\flight simulator files" directory?

If FSBuild is running on the Client PC, not on the FS PC, then that wouldn't be the correct path in any case. The best thing to do is to "share" that path, on the FS PC, with an obvious name, like "FSPLANS", then, on the client PC, tell FSBuild that path is "\\\FSPLANS" where of course you substitute the name of the FS PC.

How you actually tell FSBuild this I don't know. Sorry, but I don't have it.

Regards

Pete

It seems to be working fine now. It helps alot if you correctly spell "Files" when you create the directory. :shock:

On another note, how long after starting FS9 and WideFS Client should it take to have a connection between the two? I seem to have to wait upwards of 10 minutes for them to connect. The PC's are DHCP on a Linksys router/switch. Until last night, the Client PC was in my basement, connected to my FS machine which is upstairs. I moved the FS9 PC downstairs to see if that would help. It did not. I tried to open port 8002 on the Firewall on both PC's and that seemed to not help. Would it help matters to assign static IP addresses to each Server and Client PC's. I can send any ini or log files this evening if you think that would help in troubleshooting. I am using using 6.71 client and 3.71 server. The fsuipc.dll file on the server is dated 11/7/2006.

Thanks,

John

... how long after starting FS9 and WideFS Client should it take to have a connection between the two? I seem to have to wait upwards of 10 minutes for them to connect.

10 minutes!?!!???

10 seconds is pushing it!

What do the logs show? sounds like you have something pretty seriously wrong.

Would it help matters to assign static IP addresses to each Server and Client PC's.

It always helps if you have static IP addresses on ALL your PCs on a Network, and your Router too. but it wouldn't account for your long long long connection time.

If it is taking 10 minutes or more before it can even see the Server, it is certain to go wrong later too. I really cannot imagine any sceneraio where such a time would be possible. assuming both ends are running WinXP, the Server sends out its details every second, so 2-10 seconds for initialisation is normal.

I can send any ini or log files this evening if you think that would help in troubleshooting. I am using using 6.71 client and 3.71 server.

3.71 is an FSUIPC version number. WideServer version 6 would hsave to be 6.71 or you have an explanation already -- WideFS 3 would be about 6 years old and certainly not very compatible with recent versions.

Regards

Pete

I was not incorrect in saying 10 minutes. I could start FS9 and WideFS and walk away for awhile before it would connect.

You are correct, my fsuipc is version 3.71 which was purchased last month. WideFS is version 6.71.

I will setup my entire network to be static this evening and do a complete uninstall of the fsuipc.dll and WideFS files. After I reinstall I will run FS9 again and see if I experience any problems. If I do, I will cut and paste both ini and log files here. Do you think the uninstall and reinstall is necessary? Or could I just delete the log and ini files and have fsuipc rebuild them.

Thanks,

John

I will setup my entire network to be static this evening and do a complete uninstall of the fsuipc.dll and WideFS files.

Apart from possibly upgrading to the FSUIPC 3.716 avaialble above, I certainly don't see the point of uninstalling and reinstalling FSUIPC or wideFS DLLs. they are code. they don't change except from version to version.

Unless you have edited the INI files there's no point in reinstalling those either. Have you edited them? Are you using winXP throughout by the way?

After I reinstall I will run FS9 again and see if I experience any problems. If I do, I will cut and paste both ini and log files here.

If you haven't been changing the INI files i don't want to see them. I can look at mine! ;-)

Log files are made each time you run FS.

Regards

Pete

Yes, I am using XP on all my PC's at home.

I downloaded 3.716. I will definitely try the new version after I IP my network. I don't remember doing anything with the ini's, but I could have messed with them in my frustration. Will fsuipc and wideFS recreate the ini's if I delete them from their respective directories?

John

Well, I found my problem. After static IP'ing the house and installing the new fsuipc.dll and wideclient it was still doing the same thing. I tried it with the Windows Firewall UDP Port 8002 exception and without. I did the next best thing. I disabled the Windows Firewall, and guess what, it worked like a charm. So to make a long story short, I disabled the Windows Firewall on both PC's and downloaded Zone Alarm. I'm having no problems now.

How many WideFS clients can I have connected to my FS9 installation? I was browsing online tonight and ran across the FSGoogleEarth application. I would like to run the program, but don't want to bog down my FS9 PC and the PC that I am using for ActiveSky and FSBuild isn't the fastest PC in the world. I was thinking about setting up another PC for the Google Earth program.

Thanks for you help,

John

How many WideFS clients can I have connected to my FS9 installation?

It isn't particularly limited. The tables internally alloow for 255 simultaneous connections, but a few of those should be left free for re-connection attempts in the event of errors. I suspect the real limit is imposed by Windows sockets -- the maximum number of sockets it can allocate is specified somewhere in the network properties. That may be limited to something like 128 or even less.

Regards

Pete

Do you even have a guess as to why Windows Firewall was blocking the WideFS client even thought I had the correct UDP port open?

I don't really know anything about firewalls. I use a router which has my firewall, so usually I don't bother with any software ones. When I have tried them I am simply prompted the first time anything wants to access the Network and I am able to set the correct permission, like "yes, always" or "only this once", or "no, certainly not" (but not those exact words). This occurs with both WideServer and WideClient -- WideServer to send out the Mailslots (port 9002 on the clients, by default, by the way), and WideClient to request connection.

Oh, also, Is a "UDP" port the same as a "TCP port"? By default WideFS uses TCP -- did you select UDP instead?

In any case, you didn't actually say it would not connect but that it took over 10 minutes to connect. How would a firewall block come to allow a connection attempt only after such a time? I doubt that it would have a setting saying "don't allow any connections unless they are really really persistent!" ;-)

Sorry, I am not being very helpful on this subject at all, simply because I don't know. I cannot imagine what took 10 minutes, and without any logs showing any errors I couldn't really even guess.

Just glad you resolved it!

Regards

Pete

Pete,

After getting crappy framerates using ZoneAlarm, I needed to revisit the problem that I am having with WideFS. I uninstalled ZoneAlarm and started using Windows Firewall. When I do that, what I need to do is disable the firewall long enough to get the PC's to connect, then I am able to enable the firewall and everything works fine. Here is my client log front startup to when I get connected:

********* WideClient Log [version 6.712] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 21/01/07, Time 17:33:16.814: Client name is DESKTOP-FS2

981 Attempting to connect now

1993 Trying to locate server: IP protocol needs ServerName or IP address!

1993 Failed to connect: waiting to try again

3044 Attempting to connect now

35942 Trying to locate server: IP protocol needs ServerName or IP address!

309675 Server = DESKTOP-FS1

309685 Trying UDP/IP host "DESKTOP-FS1" port 8002 ...

309685Okay, IP Address = 192.168.1.111

309685 UDP connectionless mode set up okay!

309996 Connection made: receiving okay!

362471 New Client Application: "ASv6" (Id=4080)

You can obviously see where the two connected. Any ideas. I really don't want to have to run either PC without the Firewall running.

Thanks for you help,

John

After getting crappy framerates using ZoneAlarm, I needed to revisit the problem that I am having with WideFS. I uninstalled ZoneAlarm and started using Windows Firewall. When I do that, what I need to do is disable the firewall long enough to get the PC's to connect, then I am able to enable the firewall and everything works fine. Here is my client log front startup to when I get connected:

Your firewall is merely stopping the broadcasts from Server to Client which are received on port 9002 (or as configured). -- as I am sure I mentioned earlier. This is why the Client cannot find the Server automatically.

If you cannot enable the mailslot reception through your firewall settings then all you need to do is configure the INI file for the Client to tell it the ServerName and the Protocol to be used. Please review the documentation!

Regards

Pete