The simFlight Network Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Burkhard

MD83 in FSX format released - Paintkit here

Dear all, it was already hidden elsewhere, but here now the offcial anouncement.

I'm happy to tell you that the longer MD80s got finished now in the new format, including updating of all textures, you can download it from

http://www.fsrail.com/MD83MX.exe

It contains two models, one of the highest quality, one with improved performance, to your decision - you can switch between the models by changing the entry in the model.cfg file.

It also contains 80 different paints - but if you look to airliners.net you can easily identify about 100 more that exist or existed - I count on you to get some of them done.

Here comes the paint kit. Since all the reflexions etc are made inside the models materials, no complicated alpha channel tweaking are needed - unless for materials like the AA livery. All projections are pure planar.

Once the 1024x1024 bit bitmap, most like in 24 bit format, is made, you can use imagetool to make a DXT1 mip mapped version of it, but do not overwrite the original before you made enough backups! The smaller images _1 (required by the performance model ) and _3 (required in all far away situations) can be made in the same run.

So if you plan to make some further paints, tell us here to avoid double paintings and upload them here or mail them to support@fsrail.com, or upload them to any other server but please without the mdl files.

MD83_t.zip

Posting here as requested.

I really like the new model, and I think since it was asked for I'd try my hand at helping with repaints. I am doing some new paints, but also going over old ones so that they look as good as I'd like to see, but tell me what you think. I include 4 paints here: American Airlines (edit), 1time (edit), 1time-2 (new), Aerolineas Argentinas oc (edit).

Edit: added original bmps to archives

post-19978-128689499793_thumb.jpg

post-19978-128689499801_thumb.jpg

aerolineas_argentinas_oc.rar

AA.rar

1time.rar

1time-2.rar

Just one remark, if you find another of the existing paints to replace, just drop me a note and I can send yout the original bitmap, so that there are no small losses due to the Texture conversion.

Thanks for the encouragement :) I'll be happy to keep painting. I like doing this because I know eventually all the AI traffic will have good visuals, especially with the new models coming.

Today I have an Aviajet/Dubrovnik hybrid and just plain Aviajet. I have included the original BMP in the zip file this time.

A note: I found a bug in the model - the starboard inner flap doesn't lower. I haven't checked to see if it's also true for the MD80 or MD87.

Aviajet.rar

Aviajet_Dubrovnik.rar

It was a slow (read lazy) weekend for me, so this is all I have. Actually this paint took way too long anyway and I'm glad it's done. The sunburst on the tail refused to come out right several times, but it's okay now.

Allegiant.rar

I hope I can identify which ones. But even if not, you know that MyTraffic uses older colour schemes for the time machine - so nobody should mind to paint those too, they will be used.

Spanair today. I am working on another Spanair paint, but I could use some advice on color if anyone has seen this plane in real life. It's this paint: *link removed by me - too long!* Now the dark color looks like black to me, but in other pictures it almost looks like dark blue. The camera is fooling me, i think. What color is it really?

Spanair.rar

The other Spanair paint I was speaking of: all the pictures of this date 1993-94.

Later- Added Star Alliance Spanair. I know we can use this one! Star Alliance SAS to follow...

:lol: I just noticed the inflight title on the Star Alliance pic - I guess you can figure out how I test my paints now... KDFW always has a bunch of MD83s in the area!

post-19978-128689503775_thumb.jpg

Spanair-2.rar

StarAlliance-Spanair.rar

post-19978-128689503828_thumb.jpg

StarAlliance-SAS.rar

Baddog73,

Nice paint...

How did you get the inside surfaces of the engines to be metallic but the outside white. From what I have seen of this model. the engine uses a planar bitmap projection on both inside and outside surface. If the outside of the engine (behind the metallic nacelle which is unmapped metallic material) is white, then the corresponding inside surface would normally also be white in this model since it uses the same bitmap. And yet you have managed to get it metallic !

How on earth did you do that?

I use 1-sided pixels! :P

Seriously, though

That's just a really darn good question, and the answer is - "I have no idea..." I'm not doing anything unusual. I noticed on your Kulula paint, that what you described is what happened.

Could Burkhard maybe shed some light here?

EDIT: On my computer they're all that way and I'm doing nothing special, I assure you - could be video settings or card or something of that sort. What I'll do is see if your paint shows up that way later when I get home. We'll see then...

@Burkhard - This page is about 5 screens wide, and it's because of those 2 links to airliners.net above. I removed mine. If you have a second, could you do that too?

These engines are composed of multiple parts. The inlet is a pure metalic that knows about no texture, the engine texture is on the mid part only. Or did I miss anything?