The simFlight Network Forums
rabid

Accelerated models

Hi there,

Just a couple of questions please from a satisfied customer...

What are the main visual differences between the accelerated and superior models in MyTraffic X?

What is the easiest way to change between the two types?

If we aren't bothered about FPS, is it worth it?

Thanks!

This is not always the same for all models, and differs again for MT2006 and MTX, and is different again for the new FSX models.

What is in common in all cases is the harder LOD switching. You may know that Ai models get displayed to full detail only when they are large on screen, the smaller they get the simple the model that gets displayed. By changing this value, one can reduce the number of high detail and increase thenumber of low detail models displayed. The thing that is most easy to observe are the tires. If you look at a 777 as example, it has 14 tires. Tires near to the observer have 128 polygons typically to appear round, so for every 777 this makes 1700 polys to draw per frame. When you increase the distance, the tires will get simpler hexagons (24 triangles), than the inner ones disappear, than there are only 2 per gear, than they vanish completely, and always the main difference between the models will be that the faster model has this transition nearer to you ( a bit too near most of the times, transitions that are further away than necessary are a design bug.

Second item on many models is the size of the texture. The aircrafts come with 1024x1024 and 512x512 pixel textures - in many cases the faster models use the smaller ones, and trade bit less sharp textures for less usage of memory and video bandwidth.

In some cases, the fast models miss some fancy details like semitransparent windows, moving spoilers or flaps etc.

My recommendation is, that you leave most aircrafts as they are. Those that are your favorites, change them to the quality model. You can do so easily by editing the model.cfg file in the \model directory of that plane.

This is not always the same for all models, and differs again for MT2006 and MTX, and is different again for the new FSX models.

What is in common in all cases is the harder LOD switching. You may know that Ai models get displayed to full detail only when they are large on screen, the smaller they get the simple the model that gets displayed. By changing this value, one can reduce the number of high detail and increase thenumber of low detail models displayed. The thing that is most easy to observe are the tires. If you look at a 777 as example, it has 14 tires. Tires near to the observer have 128 polygons typically to appear round, so for every 777 this makes 1700 polys to draw per frame. When you increase the distance, the tires will get simpler hexagons (24 triangles), than the inner ones disappear, than there are only 2 per gear, than they vanish completely, and always the main difference between the models will be that the faster model has this transition nearer to you ( a bit too near most of the times, transitions that are further away than necessary are a design bug.

Second item on many models is the size of the texture. The aircrafts come with 1024x1024 and 512x512 pixel textures - in many cases the faster models use the smaller ones, and trade bit less sharp textures for less usage of memory and video bandwidth.

In some cases, the fast models miss some fancy details like semitransparent windows, moving spoilers or flaps etc.

My recommendation is, that you leave most aircrafts as they are. Those that are your favorites, change them to the quality model. You can do so easily by editing the model.cfg file in the \model directory of that plane.

They are installed as "quality" by default, right?

Under FSX, the performance models are installed by default. The new MD80s and MD90s installe the quality model when downloading.

Under FSX, the performance models are installed by default. The new MD80s and MD90s installe the quality model when downloading.

Yes, i just installed the MD's and when i checked the model.cfg they are as quality.

Thanks for your answer.

Burkhard,

but at FSX default models it doesn´t appear any word in .cfg file!!!! I have to put "-quality" by my own at there if I want the quality models???

Thanks.

Renato

Hi Renato,

The "normal=" parameter must always be set to match a .mdl file in the model folder which the cfg file is in. The -quality and -performance "tags" are a new naming scheme implemented with the FSX models (MD80 onwards) where as the older scheme was to have an x after the model name for performance models.

See my reply to your other post for an example of how the old naming scheme worked.