The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC can't find FSX

I have a partition in my PC. In one side, which I call C/FS9 I have FS9 and a registered last version of FSUIPC 3., and both work beautifully well. Now on the other side of the partition, called H/HP, and after adding a 250 GB hard disk to make room for it I installed a fully paid, properly registered, copy of FSX. This hard disc is called E/FSX. Now I wanted to install FSUIPC 4.5 before buying its registration, but then the installer tells me first that can not find my copy of FSX.EXE and that I should locate and open it myself. I do it at E/FSX, and then it tells me that the installation attemp will proceed but that as my FSX installation is not properly registered in Windows this might cause me problems. The installation carries on and at the end I get a final message saying that FSUIPC4.DLL can not be placed into the FSX/modules folder, and that the error reported by Windows is: The system can not find the specified route, and that the DLL is read only. As I believe that trying to run any MS flight simulator without FSUIPC is like trying to make a car run without fuel, I need desperately that somebody tells me how to solve the problem.

I need desperately that somebody tells me how to solve the problem.

The FSUIPC4 installer produces a log on screen explicitly to allow these things to be resolved. When you get such errors, there is a file menu for you to save that log. Please do so, and show me the log. I cannot possibly help without information.

Pete

Pete, thanks for your answer. Please find enclosed image files of the 3 steps I mentioned in my post

Oh dear. Why provide huge pictures, when all I asked for was the Log? See the picture with the Window entitled "Installer for FSUIPC4"? And see, when the installation fails, the little Menu entry in that Window saying "Save As ..."? Didn't you read my reply to you, just above, at all? :-(

Anyway, at least your pictures show that you are using an unsupported out of date copy of FSUIPC4 -- 4.05. The released version is 4.06 (since November 25th last year!), and there's a version 4.067 available above. Version 4.07 will be released within a week.

Also, it does actually show that the Setup Path stated in your Registry is wrong. The registry says that FSX is in "Microsoft Games", whereas you found it in "Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X". So the warning it gives you is correct. And you will have problems in future.

Didn't you press "Aceptar" to allow the installation to continue? Check back. In your first message you said

The installation carries on and at the end I get a final message saying that FSUIPC4.DLL can not be placed into the FSX/modules folder, and that the error reported by Windows is: The system can not find the specified route, and that the DLL is read only.

but you don't show anything of the sort here!?

Please do NOT post large unnecessary and unwanted pictures of your screen. Please just provide the information I ask for. First please get a current copy of FSUIPC4 (4.06, or better 4.067 from the FSX downloads announcement above), run the Installer as far as it will go, and if it still fails Save the Installer log (e.g. as "FSUIPC4 Install.log") and show it here.

Either way you are likely to get problems in future, even if FSUIPC4 installs. It certainly looks as if you moved FSX after installing it, as the Registry evidently thinks it isn't where it is.

Regards

Pete

I did made a mistake when I sent those image files because the 2nd and 3rd are in fact the same. The text in the last installer menu reads:

Installer for FSUIPC4.DLL version 4.05

Looking in registry for FSX install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

Parameter"SetupPath"

SetupPath="E:\Archivos de Programa\Microsoft Games\"

Checking version of FSX.EXE:

Couldn't obtain Version Info! Asking user to find FSX.EXE ...

User identified path:

"E:\Archivos de Programa\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X"

... Version 10.0.60905.0 (Need 10.0.60905.0)

Checking compatibility with installed SimConnect:

... Okay, Probe Manifest matches an installed SimConnect module

Checking if there's already a version of FSUIPC4 installed in:

E:\Archivos de Programa\Microsoft Games\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL

... No previous valid version found.

Error 3 reported creating Modules folder: "El sistema no puede hallar la ruta especificada. "

Failed to place FSUIPC4.DLL into folder as "E:\Archivos de Programa\Microsoft Games\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL"

Error 3 reported ("El sistema no puede hallar la ruta especificada. ") ,

Just in case you do not understand Spanish "El sistema no puede hallar la ruta especificada" means "The system can not find the specified route"

I hope I did it right this time. I apologize for my lack of experience in working with installer menus. So far what I had done with installers was only to click several times to instal, and a few less clicks to uninstall.

As you suggest I'll download your last version and keep them updated, but also I am getting in touch with Microsoft to ask them explain how come my FSX installation is not properly registered in Windows when I installed it by the book and never moved it. Will keep you posted through this page if I get any usefull answer from them. Thanks again for your help.

Installer for FSUIPC4.DLL version 4.05

Can you show me the Installer log from 4.06 or, better, 4.067 please? Things have changed since last November. I don't know if I have specifically dealt with the problem you are getting -- if not I'd like to fix it immediately as I am planning a release this weekend.

From the installer log, this should actually point to where FSX is (and I do mean FSX.EXE etc):

SetupPath="E:\Archivos de Programa\Microsoft Games"

Whereas you kmow it is here:

User identified path:

Okay. After you identified the correct path, then, according to the log, my installer still continued using the Registry path. That is wrong, but I think it might have been corrected in 4.06, or maybe later (hence, please try 4.067).

Failed to place FSUIPC4.DLL into folder as "E:\Archivos de Programa\Microsoft Games\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL"

If you could, please, as a matter of urgency, try 4.067 and let me knowif there is still the latter problem I would like to fix it now.

I am also wondering whether, when you get the warning about the wrong folder, it would be a good idea for my installer to offer the option to fix the registry entry. It should be easy enough to do.

Regards

Pete

As you suggest I'll download your last version and keep them updated

I tested the re-direction problem you had when using the older version (4.05) but with version 4.06 and I could prove that it was actually fixed, so you would have been okay with that. I'm not sure where you got 4.05 from -- it was only available for a week or so in November, being withdrawn when 4.06 was released in November, too.

In version 4.07, now available above, there is an option offered at the end of the eventually successful Install process to correct the Registry entry for you, in the case where you had to find the right place during the install. You might want to take advantage of this when installing 4.07, as it will certainly save you getting problems with future add-ons.

Regards

Pete

I could not find 4.067 either at your page or at flightsim.com, but I run 4.06 with the same results and the following instaler texts:

Installer for FSUIPC4.DLL version 4.06

Parameter"SetupPath"

Parameter"SetupPath"

User identified path:

Parameter"SetupPath"

User identified path:

Checking if there's already a version of FSUIPC4 installed in:

... No previous valid version found.

Error 3 reported creating Modules folder: "El sistema no puede hallar la ruta especificada. "

Error 3 reported ("El sistema no puede hallar la ruta especificada. ")

By the way, I do open FSX.EXE which I guess is the blue square icon with the white plane in the installer FSX root.

I have to go now but when am back I'll tell you if I have any feed back from Microsoft and try again to find 4.067

regards

I could not find 4.067 either at your page or at flightsim.com, but I run 4.06 with the same results

You evidently did not look in ths Forum!!!

ALL interim updates and many other things are downloadable through the Announcements above, at the top of this Forum. Please ALWAYS read the announcements. That is the way I inform users about updates and bugs and supply fixes.

Also please read the messages in the threads you add to before adding another message -- you evidently didn't read my last message telling you about 4.07 at all! :-(

Regards

Pete

I have downloaded 4.07 and I'll try it and read all your announcements during the week-end. I have received a mail from Microsoft asking me to call them on monday, and afterwards I'll get in touch with you again. I am sorry for the mistakes I have made in my posts, but these days have been very busy and allways answered in a hurry. It is clear that one can not go too fast, even in virtual flying.

Pete, problem solved. Reading again your answers in my post, realized that I had made a mistake when I first installed FSX. The first menu that appears in the FSX installer gives you the alternative to install in any address. It gives you a default address, which in my case was “H/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Microsoft Flight Simulator X”, but you can browse to find the address where you want to install FSX. I did that to install it in the additional hard disc, and browsed to “E/Program Files/Microsoft Games”.

When the installation was finished I checked the file and found that the FSX root was hanging straight from the Microsoft Games file, and what I did was to open a new and empty “Microsoft Flight Simulator X” file at Microsoft Games and moved the whole FSX root to the new file.

So you were absolutely right when you said it looked like I had moved FSX.EXE. I not only had moved FSX.EXE, but the whole FSX.

I reinstalled FSX properly yesterday and 4.07 got installed in a second. So my FSX is now Fsuipced and already registered.

Thank you for your help Pete, and let me tell you I am very sorry for my mistakes in your answers, my only excuse being that I did not have the time the problem deserved untill the week-end.