The simFlight Network Forums

FS9 reload required / PFC settings

Hello Pete - hope you are well.

It appears I will need to reload FS9 from scratch. I am curently using the PFC Cirrus 2 console, jetliner yoke and pedals.

It took me considerable time and frustration setting everything up within the PFC hardware configuration programme.

Is there a way in which I can save my current settings so I do not have tos pend hours configuring again??

Thank you for your time Peter.....Iain

It appears I will need to reload FS9 from scratch.

Eryou mean restart it, or re-install it, or what? Can you explain what you are posting about please? I don't understand -- some sort of context would be useful I think!

I am curently using the PFC Cirrus 2 console, jetliner yoke and pedals.

Right. Good choice, very nicely made hardware.

It took me considerable time and frustration setting everything up within the PFC hardware configuration programme.

Erdo you mean my PFC.DLL? Why? What caused this "considerable time and frustration"? My drivers, which I did for my own convenience, have always been well received. What on Earth was the problem?

Can you not explain anything? It seems odd to be so secretive. If you have questions or problems, why not ask? Is the documentation not clear enough? Most PFC users seem to think that the software is reasonably well designed, flexible and easy to understand. It is why PFC chose to change over from their previous drivers.

Is there a way in which I can save my current settings so I do not have tos pend hours configuring again??

1. The settings for PFC.DLL are always saved -- in PFC.INI. What on Earth makes you think they are discarded? I really do not understand where you are coming from here.

2. Why are you having to spend hours? You have only to select the console, to calibrate the 6 throttle axes, the yoke and pedals, and to choose whatever options you want, and it is done. It is a matter of a few minutes and only needs doing on first installation.

I really don't see the point of your posting as it stands. If you could please be rather more explanatory it would really be appreciated.

Regards

Pete

Hello - thank you for your mail.

I'm not trying to hide anything! FS9 is not working for some reason or another and keeps crashing - why I have no idea. I have decided to re-install the programme and the add ons I use and see if it improves the situation.

I was not saying your PFC DDL didn't work or was difficult to you use - it is very easy. I had problems calibrating the jetliner yoke (pitch and roll) with regard to the nul zones. The same null zone problems occurred with the throttle quadrants I use (I have 3). This situation was made worse by the fact that PFC gave me the incorrect driver in the first place!!

I just thought that there maybe a way in which to save and transfer the settings so I do not have to reconfigure again.

I would think that removing FS9 from your system would also remove the settings.

I gather from your mail that the settings are within the PFC INI file and that by saving this file before I delete FS9 - and then reinstalling the file after I reinstall FS9 will cause the settings to remain the same. Is this correct?

Sorry to upset you. I realise that you get many e-mails and they proibably "get on your nerves" from time to time. - thanks...IAIN

FS9 is not working for some reason or another and keeps crashing - why I have no idea.

Which version of FSUIPC are you using? Some folks have reported problems with version 3.71, and after working furiously on these over the last two weeks I think we've overcome them in version 3.719c, available above. I hope to release this as 3.72 this week. Oddly, I was unable to reproduce the problems here and yet they seemed to plague others quite a bit, so I had to rely on testing on other folks' systems.

I had problems calibrating the jetliner yoke (pitch and roll) with regard to the nul zones. The same null zone problems occurred with the throttle quadrants I use (I have 3).

What sort of problems? "Null zones" aren't complex, they are just small parts of the overall movement you leave out of the calibrated range so that minor fluctuations don't mess things up.

This situation was made worse by the fact that PFC gave me the incorrect driver in the first place!!

Incorrect driver? There's only PFC.DLL (for FS98 through to FS2004) and PFCFSX.DLL (for FSX), unless they sent you the very very old original drivers they had, which seems unlikely.

If you mean an older version missing some facility you needed, then, as with any new hardware, it is best to always look to get the latest update after receiving it. The same happens with video cards, especially. By the time they burn the CDs, package the goods, and get them shipped, the drivers have moved on by three or four versions! ;-)

I just thought that there maybe a way in which to save and transfer the settings so I do not have to reconfigure again.

Of course. All the settings for FSUIPC, PFC, WideFS and so on are stored in INI files, in your FS Modules folder. Surely you back these up now and then in any case, along with the FSUIPC.KEY file?

I would think that removing FS9 from your system would also remove the settings.

If you simply deleted everything without saving what you want first, then of course you are correct. Re-formatting the hard disk would do the same.

Incidentally, simply using FS's own uninstall won't delete most of the add-ons you've got in any case, as these weren't installed by its installer. They'll be left in bits and pieces wherever they were installed to.

I gather from your mail that the settings are within the PFC INI file and that by saving this file before I delete FS9 - and then reinstalling the file after I reinstall FS9 will cause the settings to remain the same. Is this correct?

Yes, that's what the files are for. I would suggest you do the same with any other INI and CFG files you have, and of course the FSUIPC.KEY file, especially if you are registered.

Regards

Pete

Pete

I am running version 3.71 and yes I am registered.

PFC sent me files that were VERY old. I ended up getting the latest PFC file from you.

The problem I had (note I said had) was that the yoke would not recentre itself. I had to keep jiggling the null zones to get it just right - same deal with the throttles.

Yes I do have a copy of my registration key saved.

I apologise that my knowledge on computer files in vague. I have very limited time to fool with these things and I'd prefer to fly than play with files. I will in future backup the INI files (althought they are automatically backed up in my weekly backup).

Yes I realise that the FS uninstall will not remove all add on files. I was planning on uninstalling all FS add on files that have auto uninstallers, then removing FS with the FS uninstaller followed by manual removal of all other files. I then will do a install of FS9 and follow through with the add ons I use.

I installed FS9 the 2nd week it was out and over the years I've collected an odd assortment of add ons - many of which I no longer use. Others have informed me that it is a good idea to reinstall and then install ONLY what you require. For instance, I have4 so much landclass I have no idea what is there!

Just for your interest, here is a screen grab of the FS eror screen which pops up continually - no one can seem to advise hat the problem is which is the reason for the reinstall of FS9. Thanks...... IAIN

post-6773-128689501882_thumb.jpg

I am running version 3.71 and yes I am registered.

Try 3.719c above before going to all the bother of re-installing FS.

The problem I had (note I said had) was that the yoke would not recentre itself. I had to keep jiggling the null zones to get it just right - same deal with the throttles.

Strange. I don't think there was ever a version of my driver with such problems.

I have4 so much landclass I have no idea what is there!

Ahthere is a bug in FS which occurs to do with LandClass. I had problems with stuff like that. There's a program called "Flight Sim Manager" which can help resolve those problems. It identifies potentially problematic land class files and offers to move them to a folder structure which makes them work properly.

Just for your interest, here is a screen grab of the FS eror screen which pops up continually - no one can seem to advise hat the problem is which is the reason for the reinstall of FS9. Thanks...... IAIN

Ah, that one isn't something I recognise as being related to the FSUIPC fixes in 3.719c (but please try it anyway). But have had such crashes when flying at night. I got fed up with them and only fly FS9 in daylight or dusk.

Regards

Pete

Thank you for your help.

I beleive my crash problem is associated with landclass files (best guess) as a few commercial programmes I have attempted to install do not install correctly (some FS Genesis mesh & Flight One Portland airport).

All the same I'll try your new file before going to the trouble of reloading all FS files. I do not and never did think it was a FCUIPC problem. In fact, to my knowledge I've never had any issues with FSUPIC other than reading through the very extensive documentation.

Still, I use only about 40% of what is currently loaded into the sim (add ons) and some programmes/files have been added/removed/tinkered with, etc) so many times I belive that somewhere within FS9 there are files that do not do what they are not supposed to do. My modules and FS9 route folder is HUGE and full of files that I never use (left overs from this & that).

Others have told me from their experience, that doing a re install improved the sim quite a bit with regard to performance and reliability - thank you.....IAIN