The simFlight Network Forums

an't connect FSUIPC4 -> WideClient

I don't know why it worked yesterday, and not today - I haven't changed anything on either the desktop FSUIPC4 machine or the laptop Wideclient machine.

WideClient just says it is waiting for a connection, even though FSX is running and WideFS is enabled, GPSOut is sent to WideFS on ports 8002 and 9002.

How can I troubleshoot the connection? I use Windows Firewall, but nothing else that would block the ports. Is there some port-scanning or other TCP/IP utility I could use to test the connection?

I don't know why it worked yesterday, and not today - I haven't changed anything on either the desktop FSUIPC4 machine or the laptop Wideclient machine.

WideClient just says it is waiting for a connection, even though FSX is running and WideFS is enabled, GPSOut is sent to WideFS on ports 8002 and 9002.

How can I troubleshoot the connection?

First, be doubly sure that you have enabled WideServer in the FSUIPC4 options (first tab, bottom right). And put FSX into Windowed mode and see what the FSX Title Bar says -- if WideServer is running okay it should say it is waiting for clients.

Then check the Logs. WideServer.Log on the Server (in the FSX Modules folder), WideClient.Log on the Client, in the same folder as WideClient. Show them to me if you don't understand.

I use Windows Firewall, but nothing else that would block the ports. Is there some port-scanning or other TCP/IP utility I could use to test the connection?

I expect there is but I don't know one specifically and I certainly wouldn't understand its output. You should not need to be concerned about IP port numbers in any case, just let them default.

The only additional information I'd need at this stage are what Windows versions are in use on each PC and whether you've made any changes to the WideClient.INI or the [WideServer] section in the FSUIPC4.INI files.

Regards

Pete

Thanks, Peter. Actually, my pair of PCs actually do eventually connect - it's just awfully slow - 5 minutes or more. And the WiFi signal level on the client PC is very high. Is there anything that would tend to slow down the connection startup? Once it's started, the connection works fine - no slowdowns or dropouts. Hmmm...

Thanks, Peter. Actually, my pair of PCs actually do eventually connect - it's just awfully slow - 5 minutes or more. And the WiFi signal level on the client PC is very high. Is there anything that would tend to slow down the connection startup? Once it's started, the connection works fine - no slowdowns or dropouts. Hmmm...

Sounds like the broadcast isn't working correctly. Are both PCs running XP or only the Server? What do the logs show? Are they both in the same WorkGroup? If not try to make them so. Alternatively you may need to provide the ServerName and Protocol parameters in the WideClient.INI file. That will make WideClient try to connect immediately, not waiting for broadcasts from the Server.

Regards

Pete