The simFlight Network Forums

First Steps with WideFS

Dear friends,

I am a newbe for the networks stuff, recently purchesed the WideFS and looking forward to using it. My idea is to share the load from my desktop and have some order in bringing everything up and running.

I will appreciate you focusing me on what is the best way to configure my system, which is:

One desktop with FS9 including:

2 Screens configuration (7800GT)

FSUIPC and WideFS

Active Sky 6.5

FSInn and SB3

Ground Enviroment

FSBuild

Server Info

Team Speak

Delta Virtual ACARS

LDS and PMDG addons with CH pro yoke and peddals

I have a laptop I want to engage into the system, and yesterday I added Edimax6204Wg router and connected the laptop together with the desktop via the router and a cable modem to the internet.

No further setup is done yet.

My quest and concerns are as follows:

Which of my applications to move to the laptop?

What is the way to configure each of the laptop applications?

How should I set firewalls? only on the router? on both computers too?

How is the correct way to configure such firewall/s?

Is there a "newbe guide" which will take me through this proccess?

I appreciate your advice for best focusing...

Active Sky 6.5

FSInn and SB3

Ground Enviroment

FSBuild

Server Info

Team Speak

Delta Virtual ACARS

LDS and PMDG addons with CH pro yoke and peddals

Which of my applications to move to the laptop?

I don't know all of those, but certainly ActiveSky runs well over WideFS. You need to follow the instructions carefully for the Cloud graphics installation and control, but the weather part is easy.

I don't know FSInn -- isn't that an alternative to SB3. How are you using both? I do know folks configure SB3 on a client PC via WideFS. One of the advantages then is that you have a separate sound output for your headset.

Ground Environment, LDS and PMDG aircraft are all FS add-ins, and cannot work except from within FS.

I don't know FSBuild, Server Info, Team Speak and Delta Virtual ACARS so I can't say whether they are suitable. I would have thought all of those except FSBuild were more related to the SB3 or FSInn internet connection than to FS -- do they use FSUIPC at all? It seems unlikely.

Does FSBuild use FSUIPC or is it a planner which integrates into FS and its scenery databases? If the latter it may not be suitable for client use either.

What is the way to configure each of the laptop applications?

You need to study the documentation of your applications, or check with their individual support. Of all those ActiveSky is the only one I have any experience of, and I just followed the instructions.

How should I set firewalls? only on the router? on both computers too? How is the correct way to configure such firewall/s?

I have a router and 12 PCs hanging off it, and I rely on the firewall capabilities of the router. If you do enable firewalls in Windows you will have to make exceptions on each PC to allow FS and WideClient to talk to each other. Exactly how you do that I'm not sure. If your firewall has a setting which allows all local PCs access but not Internet ones, that should be okay. I think that option may be in Vista, I don't know about XP.

Is there a "newbe guide" which will take me through this proccess?

Windows Help for its firewall, is all I know. For applications it depends on the applications. Some need access to files in FS, some don't, some use FSUIPC, some don't. You need to refer to the documentation for the applications, or just try them on the clients, for the simpler ones that is usually enough.

Regards

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for your reply. It looks that there is no easy workaround other than diving into the separate guides :(

I do not use both SB3 and FSInn at the same time, I prefer the second one while some VAs are limitted to the first.

About GE, I think I saw Nico Kaan using Ground Enviroment with WideFS, that's why I asked.

About FSBuild, it has it's own database, it does not use FSUIPC but it uses AS6 information so I would think it better be with the laptop. The only question regarding it is the ability to supply the FSB with flight plans export folders on the desktop while it will run on the laptop.

Appreciate your assistance.

Thanks for your reply. It looks that there is no easy workaround other than diving into the separate guides :(

Well, for programs like ActiveSky, surely you need to "dive into" the documentation to install and use it correctly? Are you someone who just runs the install EXE and that's it? I don't think that approach works with everything.

Where that technique does work with programs using FSUIPC on the FS PC, it will work on the WideFS PC too -- assuming the program doesn't want access to FS's own files. If it does you would need to help it find them somehow, as it won't know where FS is from another machine.

There's never going to be a "magic pill" which will make everything work just by wishing it so. I really don't know how you can expect that.

About GE, I think I saw Nico Kaan using Ground Enviroment with WideFS, that's why I asked.

But surely it's a scenery enhancer. How is it going to enhance scenery from a different PC? I really don't know how it can be used with WideFS -- if you know more please let me know. FSUIPC/WideFS most certainly cannot do anything with scenery, textures, buildings and so on.

About FSBuild, it has it's own database, it does not use FSUIPC but it uses AS6 information so I would think it better be with the laptop. The only question regarding it is the ability to supply the FSB with flight plans export folders on the desktop while it will run on the laptop.

Well, the FS plans folder on the FS PC can be accessible to it on the laptop. If the program doesn't allow the use of Network UNC names (like \\MYPC\C\My Documents\.... ), which most programs do, then you can always map the relevant folder to a drive on the Laptop. It'll look local to the laptop then.

Regards

Pete

There's never going to be a "magic pill" which will make everything work just by wishing it so. I really don't know how you can expect that.

I took a shot hoping to be surprised :D

So far I think this tool of FSUIPC is extraordinary.

I'm sure the WideFS will be as much fun to use, thanks a lot!

What about FSNavigator? It is a flight planner that resides in the modules folder of FS9. It is a DLL type of program

It isn't just a "DLL type of program", it is an FS DLL which runs inside FS, just like FSUIPC. It doesn't use FSUIPC at all. It cannot be run anywhere but inside FS. This is why some folks prefer programs like FS Commander which can be run on a Client PC.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

But surely it's a scenery enhancer. How is it going to enhance scenery from a different PC? I really don't know how it can be used with WideFS -- if you know more please let me know.

Indeed. It does so via shared directories over the LAN directly, and not via WideFS ...