The simFlight Network Forums

widefs client virus

What anti-virus software are you using?

I know a lot of people using WideFS without that report, so suspect it's a false positive (although some viruses do overwrite applications or files with themselves, so it's probably worth reinstalling WideFS just to be sure).

Cheers,

Ian P.

does any one else get the widefs client flagged as a virus it come up as W32/new-malware!Maximus.

Right click on the EXE, check Properties then Signature. If it says my signature is valid then the file is good and cannot possibly have acquired a virus. Your checker is mistaken and is simply being fooled by the random bit arrangements in a compressed and encrypted binary file.

If it says it isn't valid, or there's no signature to check, delete the file and go get the latest.

This is what signatures are for, to assure you of the correctness and validity of files thus signed.

Regards

Pete

hi, thanks for the replys. im using a program called pcguard supplied by virgin media. as for the signature it is by peter l dowson.

Really you should notify the virus checking authority for your virus checker so they can revise the way they check for that particular virus. False alarms from these programs aren't desirable, and they do try to avoid them.

i bought both widefs and fsuipc recently so the versions are up to date.

One does not follow from the other, as you don't actually buy the programs, only a Key to unloack them. The programs are only as up to date as the last time you downloaded them, and then only if that website was up to date.

Regards

Pete