The simFlight Network Forums

Fiddling with buttons & Offset conditions

Dear Pete, hi everyone

A few days ago I had this idea to simulate something like "ground effect" by using ambient wind at offset 3478. I then assigned a key via the keys page in FSUIPC and then added an offset condition in the ini file (i.e. only add ground effect a few feet above the runway). Something like this:

[buttons]

0=D31E4<400000 R0,27,K85,8

[Keys]

0=85,8,x7C003478,x00000352

It worked like a charm, but I decided to use a flag and a virtual button, like this:

[buttons]

0=P0,1,C1003,2565

1=D31E4<400000 H10,5,K85,8

[Keys]

which unfortunately doesn't work anymore. Obviously I make a mistake here but I have no clue how to work around this. Is there another way to do this, I do not want to assign a button just to "switch on" the ground effect? I'm not a programmer otherwise its much easier to write a program for this I assume :?

Chris

A few days ago I had this idea to simulate something like "ground effect" by using ambient wind at offset 3478. I then assigned a key via the keys page in FSUIPC and then added an offset condition in the ini file (i.e. only add ground effect a few feet above the runway). Something like this:

[buttons]

0=D31E4<400000 R0,27,K85,8

[Keys]

I don't understand this really. What is button 27? When is it pressed? And then why you have the button send a key which sends a control. Why not have the control programmed on the button instead of the keypress?

It worked like a charm, but I decided to use a flag and a virtual button, like this:

[buttons]

0=P0,1,C1003,2565

1=D31E4<400000 H10,5,K85,8

[Keys]

The Flags are only used in Conditions, they don't represent the real setting of a switch for the prime operation. flags are referenced via the "F" letter in the Condition parentheses.

I really don't understand exactly how you are tring to do this thing. What is your method of operating this facility?

It sounds like what you really want is a latching switch, not a button. Is that right? If so, use your button to toggle a bit in the Virtual Button offsets (3340), and program that virtual button to (conditionally) send the control for offset 3478 repetitively.

I still don't see where the keypress comes in. why use it?

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply.

It sounds like what you really want is a latching switch, not a button. Is that right? If so, use your button to toggle a bit in the Virtual Button offsets (3340), and program that virtual button to (conditionally) send the control for offset 3478 repetitively.

Aaaah, so that's what I've missed in the docs. Yes that's right - I need a latching switch. I want to switch it on before landing (a/p disconnect button?) and wait for the "ground effect" at 8-10 feet radio altitude.

Another thing is that there is less drag when the a/c is in ground effect, unfortunately that's impossible to simulate in FSunless I've missed something again.

Less drag / more lift that's why you need to cut the throttle - in FS the effect is that the a/c drops like a stone on the runwayHmmm, I can try Throttle_10 just to see the effect ...

And then why you have the button send a key which sends a control. Why not have the control programmed on the button instead of the keypress?

That was only for testing pusposes - by pressing a key I can see the effect on the aircraft right away, otherwise I'll have to wait until my condition is met.

I'll play with this and report back! FSUIPC is really amazing!!

Many thanks! :D