The simFlight Network Forums

GPS integration

Guest Felcas

Do you have any software that let me integrate real GPS unit (like the Garmin 196) with FS2002?

How would you use it -- like FS2002 acting as a moving map? Do you have FS running in a LapTop when flying for real, that sort of thing?

I must admit I'm a bit at a loss to see the real use of this. Can you explain? I know using a real moving map, like Jeppesen FliteMap, with a GPS can be very useful, but what would you be expecting FS to do with the GPS positional outputs?

Regards,

Pete

Guest Felcas

It is just the oposite. I would use the output data of FS2002 to input the GPS. This way I could be using the unit to help me navigate with FS2002, same as the GPS found inside FS2002 but in this case for real, with a real hardware. I am asking this because I already have one GPS unit and I think it would make the experience of using it with FS2002 much more exciting. :D

Understand now?

:wink: Regards

Felcas

Guest Felcas

I have read some messages here in the forum and I found that you have a software that do at least part of what I have in mind.

The GPSout send data about the GPS inside FS2002 throught a COM port to another computer, this computer with a map software could be used as a moving map or navigator tool. I am right or wrong?

Did you tested it with a GPS unit instead of another computer?

That is the point I had in mind.

Instead of using another laptop, I could use all the marvelous features on my GPS 176!!!!

I just sold mine but if you tell me that your GPSout do this, I will have to buy another and your software as wall. But first I would like to be sure.

Please tell me it is possible!!!Tell me Tell me Tell me

The GPSout send data about the GPS inside FS2002 throught a COM port to another computer, this computer with a map software could be used as a moving map or navigator tool. I am right or wrong?

That part is right. When running FS with GPSout the output on the COM port looks, to any GPS-compatible software (or device) like the output from a real GPS. In other words, it turns FS into a "GPS simulator" as far as that external program or device is concerned. That is its purpose, so that all those GPS-compatible mapping programs can be used with FS.

Did you tested it with a GPS unit instead of another computer?

No, because I have never found a GPS which could receive the output from another GPS and act as if this was the signal coming from the satellites. Basically what you are asking for is your GPS to stop being a GPS, to throw its satellite receiver signals away, and instead connect to another GPS (in this case FS+GPSout) to get its positional data from.

Now *maybe* there are GPS's that can do this (why they would put such a facility in I do not know), but I don't know of one.

Many GPSs do have facilities to receive signals from external aerial or positional update systems, to more accurately determine their position. I think these use additional ground-based transmissions (beacons) and, together with the GPS's own satellite reception, can, in some parts of the world (probably only parts of the USA) determine positions to something like one centimeter accuracy or better. I think these are used in surveying. The protocol these use is RTCM SC-104 or similar, which deals with differential GPS beacons. Even my little Garmin Etrex can receive these, but I don't think they are of any use to me here.

Instead of using another laptop, I could use all the marvelous features on my GPS 176!!!!

Well if you find that your GPS 176 can be set to ignore its receivers and accept data in standard NMEA 0183 sentences on a serial connection, then configure it so and try it out with GPSout. I'm not saying that isn't possible, it's just that I've never come across a GPS device which will do this. Maybe it will have it as "simulation mode" or something like that, intended for training/classroom use.

Please let me know in case others ask. If you succeed I can tell others which GPS unit they'd need!

I just sold mine but if you tell me that your GPSout do this, I will have to buy another and your software as wall. But first I would like to be sure.

Ah, then you can't try it after all. Shame. Perhaps you can get the handbook off the internet and see if it says it is possible?

Regards,

Pete

Guest Felcas

Pete,

Thans for your help.

-----Now *maybe* there are GPS's that can do this (why they would put such a facility in I do not know), but I don't know of one.-----

Yes I think there is such devices, but I don´t know wich one. I am sure because on marine boats you have option to install a GPS antena and plug it with diferent units so one can mirron another, for example. You are at the bridge and using the GPS unit to pilot and inside the boat you can have another unit.

I don´t know if the Gramin´s units are able to do it. I hope they can.

----Maybe it will have it as "simulation mode" or something like that, intended for training/classroom use. ----

Yes the GPS 176 and the GPS III+ have this simulation mode, but I don´t know if they are capable of receive the signal in this or another mode.

I will send Garmin an email to ask about this.

ANY WAY I AM VERY VERY GLAD THAT SOMEBODY MADE THIS VERY USEFUL AND EXCITING SOFTWARE THT IS CAPABLE OF EXTENDING THE USEFULL OF FS2002. THANKS A LOT PETE. :wink:

I will have to buy the new cable. Is that a serial to serial cable or a null serial cable?

And if that works with GPS I think I will have to spend some more on a new unit.

:D

I am sure because on marine boats you have option to install a GPS antena and plug it with diferent units so one can mirron another, for example. You are at the bridge and using the GPS unit to pilot and inside the boat you can have another unit.

Yes, but I expect they might slave the antennae signals, or at least use a more convenient (to them) signal protocol than NMEA 0183. It's worth checking into I suppose, but I have strong doubts.

Okay. Let me know what you find out.

I will have to buy the new cable. Is that a serial to serial cable or a null serial cable?

Well, between two PCs it has to be a "null modem" cable, though in truth all it needs is three wires -- ground (1-1) then Tx-Rx and Rx-Tx (2-3, 3-2).

For a GPS it would be the appropriate cable to link that GPS, bidirectionally, to a PC -- they all tend to come with their own specific plug arrangements so no standard cable would do.

Regards,

Pete

I am sure because on marine boats you have option to install a GPS antena and plug it with diferent units so one can mirron another, for example. You are at the bridge and using the GPS unit to pilot and inside the boat you can have another unit.

Yes, but I expect they might slave the antennae signals, or at least use a more convenient (to them) signal protocol than NMEA 0183. It's worth checking into I suppose, but I have strong doubts.

Okay. Let me know what you find out.

Well, between two PCs it has to be a "null modem" cable, though in truth all it needs is three wires -- ground (1-1) then Tx-Rx and Rx-Tx (2-3, 3-2).

For a GPS it would be the appropriate cable to link that GPS, bidirectionally, to a PC -- they all tend to come with their own specific plug arrangements so no standard cable would do.

Regards,

Pete

If you want to get the FS2002 data into a REAL gps, all you have to do is:

On the computer connected to the FS2002 computer via GPSout, run your moving map program, such as "Street Atlas USA", with the option to SAVE the data to a file. Most moving map programs will have this option.

Now you will have a set of data at x samples per second. If your REAL gps won't except the data format, pull it into Excel and woprk on it so it fits the REAL gps format.

Several GPS units now come with PC software that allows you to build routes and upload them to the GPS unit.

FYI -- I got my Street Atlas from Ebay for $10. Not the current version, but who cares if Mickey D has moved down to the next exit?

Regards,

BobS

On the computer connected to the FS2002 computer via GPSout, run your moving map program, such as "Street Atlas USA", with the option to SAVE the data to a file. Most moving map programs will have this option.

Now you will have a set of data at x samples per second. If your REAL gps won't except the data format, pull it into Excel and woprk on it so it fits the REAL gps format.

Several GPS units now come with PC software that allows you to build routes and upload them to the GPS unit.

Yes, that is an interesting option for checking or setting the route followed, but I thought the requester was thinking of using the GPS "live" as an additional flight instrument.

Regards,

Pete

Guest felcas

Pete

Unfortunately I discovered that the software I use for mapping (mapsource from garmin) have its own proprietary protocol because of this it will not work with NMEA thus GPSout.

If you think this is chalanging can you support this?

I will apreciate very much.

Thanks a lot

Felipe

Unfortunately I discovered that the software I use for mapping (mapsource from garmin) have its own proprietary protocol

I use Mapsource as well, but it is NOT a moving map program. It can plot routes for you to download into your GPS ready for a trip and it can upload the routes you followed afterwards so you can see where you went, but in no way is it a useful moving map. If you have a map display facility on your Garmin GPS it can even download map segments into the GPS so that it (the GPS) can be used as a moving map -- this is what I use it for when I am on holiday trips, for instance.

Even if it could follow things in real time, which it can't, its maps are really pretty awful compared with real map programs like Autoroute, and more expensive in any case.

If you think this is chalanging can you support this?

No, there is nothing in real time to support. I think you misunderstand its function. Sorry.

Regards,

Pete

Guest felcas

Pete,

I think you will fell glad to know that you are wrong! Yes, you are wrong. MapSource IS a moving map. I had used Mapsource WorldMap and Bluecharts with my laptop linked with a GPS for some experiences and it works great.

When you conect a GPS (already with a satelite llink) on a computer with the Mapsource runing, if everything is okay, you then select the GPS option, that is aside of TRACK, ROUTES, WAYPOINT, Etc... on the left side.

You just have to click on StartTracking and it starts geting info from the GPS and not only moving the map but also displaying several informations and ploting a track that you are doing.

Or...maybe I am wrong, maybe all that I described is not moving map and I am misunderstanding the concept of moving map.

:? :?:

I think you will fell glad to know that you are wrong! ...

When you conect a GPS (already with a satelite llink) on a computer with the Mapsource runing, if everything is okay, you then select the GPS option, that is aside of TRACK, ROUTES, WAYPOINT, Etc... on the left side.

You just have to click on StartTracking and it starts geting info from the GPS and not only moving the map but also displaying several informations and ploting a track that you are doing.

Oh .... that's good. Thanks! Still, I don't like the maps, compared to many other programs.

Or...maybe I am wrong, maybe all that I described is not moving map and I am misunderstanding the concept of moving map.

Now, now, there's no need for sarcasm! Apologies for getting it wrong.

Regards,

Pete

Guest Felcas

I was not using sarcasm.

English is not my native language and sometimes I get my self using what appear to be the right expression or word but it is on a wrong way.

So I was just humble. Maybe I was wrong, that is all, but soo I could learn just a little bit more. :wink:

The MapSource may not be the best moving map software but is what I have and I would like to make it run.

Another strange thing I have noticed is that it also tries to read NMEA data, but I just can´t do the damn thing to work.

Good Wishes

Felipe

I was not using sarcasm.

Okay. Sorry.

The MapSource may not be the best moving map software but is what I have and I would like to make it run.

Another strange thing I have noticed is that it also tries to read NMEA data, but I just can´t do the damn thing to work.

Well, I do have the software so I can take a look. But I am going to be pretty busy now till late August, what with the imminence of FS2004. could you perhaps ask me again then?

In the meanwhile, perhaps you can see if you can get any details from Garmin. If the protocol they are using is proprietary then it may also be "secret". I really wouldn't want to start trying to work it out without any information -- it would be far cheaper to buy you a different program!

Same applies if it is too complicated -- I know some of their stuff is really so different from NMEA that I wouldn't want to go there with the simple freebie GPSout DLL.

Regards,

Pete

• 1 month later...

Hi Pete,

Its me again Felipe.

I just bought my GPS176 back and I am again interested on making my GPS work with FS2002.

But first I need to make GPSout work.

When we last talked I had conection problems that I thought it was compactibilitie problems between GPSout and Mapsource. But now I know it is not that way. GPSout apears to not be working at all, I say this because after a lot of research and trials, I found that my other computer is not receiving a single sentence from the computer runign FS2002 and GPSout. For that I am using NMEATOOLS+ a software that focus on testing NMEA sentences over comunication ports. I also made tests with NMEATOOLS+ on both ends at the same time, one sending and the other receiving and everything had gone well. So it is logic to thing that GPSout that is not working properly.

That is why I am writing...Am I forgeting something, do you have any sugestion???

Thanks a lot~, again.

Felipe

GPSout apears to not be working at all, I say this because after a lot of research and trials, I found that my other computer is not receiving a single sentence from the computer runign FS2002 and GPSout. For that I am using NMEATOOLS+ a software that focus on testing NMEA sentences over comunication ports.

Better to start off using something that checks whether ANY data is coming from the FS COM port -- something like HyperTerminal, for example.

That is why I am writing...Am I forgeting something, do you have any sugestion???

Sounds exactly like you don't have FSUIPC installed. If with FSUIPC installed and a valid (available) and working COM port assigned for GPSout, there is no way you can actually stop the output whilst FS is running and in normal flight modes.

Regards,

Pete

I did not have FSUIPC installed, but I have it now, both FSUIPC and GPSout on the Modules directory of FS2002. I can see FSUIPC in the menu inside FS2002 soo it is installed correctly, but I still do not have any clues about the output of GPSout.

I will check with hyperterminal, but NMEATOOL+ is a professional aplication to verify NMEA signals, I don´t see why it is not proper to check for GPSout sentences.

Anyway I am going to test hyper terminal, any news I report.

Thanks again.

Felipe

I did not have FSUIPC installed, but I have it now, both FSUIPC and GPSout on the Modules directory of FS2002. I can see FSUIPC in the menu inside FS2002 soo it is installed correctly, but I still do not have any clues about the output of GPSout.

Well, there's no other' magic' involved. If you've got a good COM port selected and the right speed (NMEA default is 4800 bps, but I use the highest supported by the receiving program).

You need to check your cable too. If HyperTerminal or something similar can use it to exchange chat between the two PCs then GPSout can use it. The program is really very very simple, there is nothing to go wrong, and it has been in use now for over 4 years.

Don't forget the cable, although it only needs 3 wires for GPSout, must have Rx to Tx and vice versa (i.e. 1-1, 2-3, 3-2).

I will check with hyperterminal, but NMEATOOL+ is a professional aplication to verify NMEA signals, I don´t see why it is not proper to check for GPSout sentences.

I didn't say it wasn't, but you are now trying to find out why you aren't getting the correct signals out of your COM port. There are only a few possible choices:

1. The COM port is dead or faulty

2. You aren't selecting the right COM port

3. The COM port is already in use by some other application

4. The speed is set wrongly

5. The cable is wrong -- faulty or not "twisted".

1-3 you could check by trying the other COM port.

4 & 5 should be ditinguishable by using Hyperterminal or something similar to see if you get any data, albeit rubbish -- if it is at the wrong speed it will be rubbish, which your NMEATOOL is probably not designed to recognise or even tell you about.

Pete

Here we are...

I tested hyperterminal on both ends - worked OK

I tested hyperterminal with NMEATOOL+ - worked OK

I tested hyperterminal with GPSout - did not worked

I revised all setings of GPSout including com port that is set to 1 and speed set to 4800, like hyperterminal and Nmeatool, but it still does not work.

Below a sample of what I could get from hyperterminal on my laptop:

The Nmea sentences came from Nmeatool on the other side, then I disconected nmeatool and ran FS2002, the results are those "trash" stuff, that didn´t stop even after I closed FS2002.

$GPRMB,V,,,,,,,,,,,,A,S*0E

$GPGGA,040516,2342.6409,S,04649.5505,W,8$GPBOD,,T,,M,,*47

$GPBWC,040520,,,,,,T,,M,,N,,S*6A

$GPVTG,182.0,T,201.6,M,59.4,N,110.0,K*78

$GPXTE,V,V,,,N,S*43

$GPRMC,040522,V,2342.7447,S,04649.5544,W,37.8,182.0,270803,19.6,W,S*0D

$GPGGA,040522,2342.7447,S,04649.5544,W,8,10,2.0,768.7,M,-3.3,M,,*5D

$GPGLL,2342.7447,S,04649.5544,W,040522,V,S*44

$GPBOD,,T,,M,,*47

$GPBWC,040522,,,,,,T,,M,,N,,S*68

$GPVTG,182.0,T,201.6,M,37.8,N,70.0,K*4B

$GPXTE,V,V,,,N,S*43

$GPRMC,040524,V,2342.7567,S,04649.5548,W,16.2,182.0,270803,19.6,W,S*0D

$GPGGA,040524,2342.7567,S,04649.5548,W,8,10,2.0,768.7,M,-3.3,M,,*54

$GPGLL,2342.7567,S,04649.5548,W,040524,V,S*4D

$GPBOD,,T,,M,,*47

$GPBWC,040524,,,,,,T,,M,,N,,S*6E

$GPVTG,182.0,T,201.6,M,16.2,N,30.0,K*46

xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€xàxà€€x

Now I am receiving nothing from GPSout.

But Hyperterminal and NmeaTool+ are working perfectly.

I have already tried to change COMport from 1 to 2 and 3, Interval time from 100, 500, 1000 and 1500, speed from 4800, 9600, 19200 and 115200. But nothing happens.

Do version 2.5 work with fs2002 or only with fs2004?

Felipe