The simFlight Network Forums

Installing fsuipc with FSX and Vista

HI! Pete: I bet you are tired of covering this, but I simply am at a loss! I am sure I am doing something incorrect, but am at a loss as to what. I have installed your program in ME and XP but this is something else. So here goes; I read your installation instructions, which seem easy enough, I turned off the Vista firewall, and this is a new computer and I only have Vista and FSX installed at this time, downloaded your program into a file I call my files, I proceeded to place fsuipc4.exe on the desktop, and installed; the Modules file was created, I opened the file and what you said should be there was, I then opened the installation doc and found it to be in gibberish, went back to the zip file, opened the same doc and it was fine. I turned up FSX and the ADD-ON was there clicked on that and fsupic opened up. The following was observed; there was the version and normal defaults and clear all WX and the check boxes for multi display and single line msgs. Registration spots were blanked out, and I expected that, do to the Admin problem. In summary all the information in the zip seems to be ok! but in the Modules file the information can't be read, and in FSX I would think your page would have had more on it, however I worked on getting a higher position as an administrator, so I might register, but have not accomplished that yet. Any help you could provide would be appreciated. :cry:

I turned off the Vista firewall

Not sure why you needed to do that. I have it enabled on my one and only Vista PC and it doesn't interfere at all.

I proceeded to place fsuipc4.exe on the desktop, and installed

Eryou don't do any of that. You need to download the FSUIPC4.Zip file. Unzip it to anywhere of your choice then run "Install FSUIPC4.exe". There is no "FSUIPC4.EXE".

the Modules file was created, I opened the file and what you said should be there was, I then opened the installation doc and found it to be in gibberish

What exact file was that and what did it try to open with? I supply no gibberish files at all! Please tell me what FSUIPC4 file you downloaded and where from. And what version you think you were getting! You are not making any sense I'm afraid. :-(

In summary all the information in the zip seems to be ok! but in the Modules file the information can't be read

Can't be read by what? Can you tell me what is there? They documentation files are standard Word DOCs or Adobe PDFs, and the is a simple Text "Read Me" which any editor, including the default NotePad, can read.

... and in FSX I would think your page would have had more on it

If you mean the Add-OnsFSUIPC options, until you Register you only get the main about/registration page and the Logging taba -- as clearly documented, as as has been the case now for four years.

however I worked on getting a higher position as an administrator, so I might register, but have not accomplished that yet. Any help you could provide would be appreciated. :cry:

Help to do what? Run as administrator? Just right click on the FSX icon and select "Run As Administrator", exactly as documented!

Pete

I then opened the installation doc and found it to be in gibberish, went back to the zip file, opened the same doc and it was fine.

Okay. I've just re-checked this on my Vista PC.

It looks like Microsoft have done a stupid thing here. The default installed program "WordPad", which was always fine viewing Word documents in previous versions, is now unable to correctly view Word documents in Vista! In fact it won't even view their latest format "Docx" produced by Word 2007!

It looks like they are forcing the change to Adobe's PDF format. I find that quite astounding, that they would reduce support for their own formats and force folks to use an alien one. I can only assume they've now accepted that Adobe have won that "battle" for portable documents!

In the next update for FSUIPC4 (4.10) I will only include Acrobat PDF documents, no Microsoft format ones, to get around this. You will need to update to 4.10 in any case after you apply the much-anticipated SP1 update to FSX.

Meanwhile, luckily, as you found, I do include the PDF version of the User Guide in the ZIP file itself, so please refer to the Installation and Registration sections in that. Also the READ ME text file can be read by almost anything, including the default NotePad installed with Vista.

Regards

Pete