The simFlight Network Forums
mvc340

ANY IMPRESION WHEN USING fsx sp1 AND MYTRAFFIC X?

Thank you for asking, mvc, I was waiting for your post. ;-) Well, there are 'small' differences...

Here are a couple of screenshots FSX.0 vs FSX.1 vs FSX.1/MTX with a similar amount of AC as the first two pictures.

Kind regards

Jaap

Edit: Text partially removed because it seems irrelevant. I'm looking into whether the shots should be replaced as well.

New edit: Leaving screenshot #2 as is, because perf is the same whether framerates are locked or not.

post-5896-128689525858_thumb.jpg

post-5896-128689525881_thumb.jpg

post-5896-128689525907_thumb.jpg

I guess I'm not so lucky. I installed fsx sp1 and followed Mike's fix for the traffic toolbox (thank you Mike) and tested out the sp at KLAS. Jaap, I tried your suggestion using an unlimited setting for the frame rate and unfortunately I don't see any improvements from pre-sp1. All of my settings are the same as before installing sp1.

post-19713-128689526028_thumb.jpg

Hi Kazagi, well, the 'tweak' seems to be debunked. What I could perfectly reproduce yesterday, cannot be any longer today! Puzzling... :-)

You say no improvement at all and I see 4 fps in the pic. What are your specs and FSX-settings?

To maybe get you started, 4fps standard often is a call to check the mainboard plus VGA driver situation? If, consider starting/installing bottom up; aka mainboard (new bios?) drivers first, then VGA and the rest. It's also a good practice to update DX to the latest state.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Searlaylang=en

Good luck and kind regards

Jaap

After a day ( and some weeks of training for this day) my impression is the following.

FSX.1 perfromance is significantly better than FSX.0.

As example EDDF with Scenery "dense" and MyTraffic at 100%, I get 3 fps where I got 1.7 before. It isn't MyTraffic, with Scenery "very low" I get 45 instead of 30 with 100% MyTraffic. So overall I see a 30 to 50% improvement.

What is more important: A setting of Scenery "dense", Autogen "sparse", AI Traffic incl. airport vehicles full, could only be used at very remote locations in FSX.1 to have stable 18 fps, SCIP the only place to really reach this. Now, I have this at most airports I visit, even Lisbon, Ankara or Rome, only a handful of airports ( In Europe EDDF, LEMD, EGLL, LFPG ) and their surroundings are still a problem. For me this is something addons should attack, it cannot be difficult to write airports more real and much faster than those supplied.

So , if you have 4 fps, you either really are at a bad place, or you have hardware/settings/driver problems.

I've never gotton good frame rates at KLAS - 4 to 6 fps. I'm averaging 6-8 fps at KIAD and 14-16 at ELLX. I think my Intel Pentium D 3 GHz with 3 gigs of ram is good. My video card is ati X1650pro with 256 mb which is average. I know my bios and DX are up to date.

At this point I'm beginning to believe that my settings are too high and that I'm going to need to tweak the settings a bit to a more realistic setting for my system. In general my settings are at medium to medium high.

My scenery is extremely dense and autogen is normal. Other settings in general:

Anisotrophic filtering

AA

Global texture very high

advanced animations

Level of detail radius medium

65 mesh comp.

38 mesh reso

2m texture

2x low water

90 mi detailed clouds

special effects high

cloud draw 90mi

cloud coverage maximum

detailed clouds

ai traffic 65% commercial and GA

minimal airport vehicles

Hi Kazagi, thanks for the detailed reply. Frankly, I'm not too surprised you're seeing such low framerates and your impression seems justified.

My tip for the AI setting is:

- If you prefer heavy metal, push that slider further than the other. GA-lovers do it the other way around. Since MTX also uses stock AI-aircraft, I'ld generally suggest being conservative with the GA-slider. ;-)

Other tips maybe:

- reduce cloud draw to minimums

- 'don't do' shadows

- keep AA/AF as low as possible

- special effects @ medium max

Basically, anything which eats up CPU-cycles. Is your CPU single- or dual-core?

Final questions: How many OS-processes are running in the background? Did you squelch unnecessary OS-autostarts? What's your display's resolution?

Good luck for now, hope's this gets you started. Kind regards

Jaap

Hi Jaap,

My CPU is dual-core, but the original core-duo not core2duo. My screen resolution is set to 1280x1024 (max for my system). Regarding my display resolution, I use the same setting in fsx. I've always experienced display distortions (the plane will suddenly appear out of aspect) when I've ended a flight and returned using the same or a different plane. It happens every time. I'm not sure what causes this but it may be due to my display setting.

I own a DELL so there's probably too many processes running in the background, but I did follow a very good tweak over at simviation forums, which helped me to safely turn off the basic processes and maximize performance of XP SP2.

I'm going to try some of your suggested tweaks to see if there's a difference.

Thanks.

jaap,

i made the tweaks that you had indicated and a couple in Burkhard's comments as well and the result was a doubling of the frame rate while at klas. I was maxing out my frame rate at 20+ when I left the immediate vicinity of the airport. The biggest gain in my opinion was when i turned off or unchecked antialiasing (AA) in the game and let my video card perform this task. I'm sure I can do better with a few more tweaks, but for now I'm satisfied with 8fps at KLAS. Thank you for your suggestions.

:-)

post-19713-128689526108_thumb.jpg

I have experienced a performance improvement of more than 20% and My Traffic is running well. Obviously I had hoped that my 'empty Frankfurt' problem would be solved after a completely clean reinstall, but that did regrettably not happen :cry:

The only other problem that showed up is the VC of the Wilco/FeelThere Airbus; as soon as I switch from 2D to 3D, all kind of strange things happen, like the IRS going down and loosing one of the engines... :?

@renebon:

Do you say you made a fresh install of FSX, applied FSX.2, than MyTraffic, no other addon and you already had the EDDF Problem? Or did you install anything else?

Hello Burkhard,

Thanks for reacting. Before the whole uninstall/reinstall operation I made a list of all steps in their proper sequence, so I can trace every action. After reinstalling FSX, I tested, installed SP1, tested again, then reinstalled a logbook-recovery programme, then FSUIPC4.10, then My Traffic. At the point where I 'revisited' EDDF there were no other addons installed.

Kind regards

Hi Kazagi, great news! Thanks.

Apart from cloud draw, I forgot to mention reducing visibilty distances as well. If acceptable to you, I would further suggest capping your AI settings at for example 55% IFR/15% GA for now. Although somebody reported he's capable of running MTX full blast (on a quad-core), it remains very important to not overflow FSX's sub-system. Once your above a certain threshold, FSX does a pretty good job at delivering reasonable framerates. With SP1 that is. :-)

Further things maybe worth trying:

- Lens flare off

- Unlocked framerates? ;-)

On the OS-side:

- 'Start' --> 'Run' --> type 'msconfig' then hit the enter button. Now, have a look your autostarts. I'ld suggest removing all of them minus security and hardware related starts. For example, AFAIK, don't stop 'rundll32' instances from starting.

A couple of further questions, what kind of screen do you have, TFT or CRT? Connected to this, have you tried lower resolutions? A 9200 is 'a bit' weak for 1280x. Depending on the amount of VGA-RAM, you should be fairly succesful if you keep an eye on the 'Global texture quality' slider. @ max your GPU is almost certainly being overflooded with work.

Hope this adds to thoughts again, kind regards

Jaap

@ René, that's mysterious indeed. Do you at least see the MT aircraft?

@rene. If my ghairs weren't mostly gray already, now they would be. I myself installed FSX from scratch + SP1 + MyTraffic twice now, and of course Frankfurt is as busy as it has to be. This is so bizarr, I'd like to see and trac this myself. Are you near to EDDF?

jaap,

thanks for the additional hints. I'm not sure how to reduce "visibility", but I did reduce the traffic to your suggested settings and I eliminated a couple of programs at the startup. I also unlocked the frame rates. Lens flare and shadows are both off.

My monitor is dell E196fp analogue and the graphics card is a radeon x1650pro w/256 Mb DDR2.

With just a couple of additional tweaks I'm now getting 8-20 fps at KLAS. The frame rate jumps around but I'm averaging 12-14. Big improvement from 4!

@ Jaap: Hi, I see MT traffic at all airports, but not a single one at EDDF. The situation is the same as it has always been since I run FSX: The airport is there, but 'the system' considers it as non existing, as far as traffic is concerned. Another funny thing is that when I fly from, say, Hamburg to Stuttgart, ATC never mentions Frankfurt Control, not to me and not to other a/c. I can however communicate with Frankfurt approach and tower. But then I'm the only one... :)

@ Burkhard: I'm not sure whether I understand what you have in mind. You are welcome to look into my system, but since you live near EDDF and I in Gouda, that seems difficult to arrange, unless you would come and buy some cheese here :lol:

Have a nice week-end!

Hoi René, inderdation, héél erg raar. Ik hoop dat Burkhard trek in een stukje Gouda heeft! :-)

Vertel ajb zoveel als mogelijk over je FlyTendo. Alvast bedankt.

@ Kazagi, great news again. Did you have to squelch many autostarts? They usually don't take up too much RAM, but running unbloated process wise can be helpful. HST, I don't believe it's a good idea to eliminate as much as is sometimes recommended.

You can reduce visibilty in the 'Advanced' section of FSX's weather menu. I usually set cloud draw to 40 (the min in the scenery dialog) and visibilty to 20 miles. Looks neat! ;-)

On twin cores, I've found I get most if I don't do any energy saving. Hence, my OS' power scheme is 'Always on' and in the bios Cool 'n Quiet (AMD64) is de-activated. On Intels CPUs (all of them?), CnQ is called EIST.

Pls note, I've never 'switched' a running system like this. I would only switch if all your data is backed up and safe. Certain bios changes can necessitate an OS re-install - switching from PIC-mode to APIC comes to mind.

A final 'one' for now: 'Control Panel' --> 'System' --> 'Advanced' --> 'Performance' --> select 'Adjust for best performance'. It will take parts of XP's 'Mickey Mouse' GUI out, but for example mouse shadows are history. Whilst at it, perhaps make sure Data Execution Prevention is set to minimal settings?

Questions: Do you have a TFT screen? How many MBs of RAM on your GPU?

Cheers and kind regards

Jaap

Dag Jaap, dank voor je medeleven. Wat FlyTendo betreft verwar je mij denk ik met iemand anders. Ik weet niet eens wat het is...

Overigens: complimenten voor je deskundige bijdragen en hulp op dit forum!

Hartelijke groeten,

Jaap,

I have a TFT LCD analogue and 256 Mb on the video card. I'm playing with some of your other suggestions to see what makes a difference and what doesn't. Thanks.

Jaap,

I must be looking in the wrong section because I can't find the advanced button in the weather section. Picture below.

post-19713-128689526317_thumb.jpg

Hi Kazagi, sorry, I meant FSX's ingame weather menu. Alt --> W --> W --> User defined --> Advanced. In that menu you can indeed only set cloud draw distances.

TFT... Is MS ClearType active on your end? If you aren't familiar with this term, I'ld suggest looking at the OS' Help Center for more info.

If you do a search for MemStatus v.2.50, download it etc, you'll get a good indication how your VGA is doing memory wise. Let it run for a while and after finishing FS, have a look at the values. Memory consumption in FSX.1 has dropped pretty sharply vs FSX.0. But you'll still go well beyond 256MB VGA at high settings in dense environments if you use 1024x textures. You can control the amount of VGA-memory consumed with FSX's Global Texture Quality slider.

@ René, ja, wij doen ons best. Hartelijk dank voor je aardige woorden. Appreciated.

FlyTendo is my nickname for our machines. ;-) Pls excuse if I wasn't clear. In this line, there are - of course! :-) - RaceTendos, TestTendos, SailTendos, CrashTendos and even a YouNameItTendo! :-) It just goes well with almost everything.

Your case really is mind boggling. Burkhard and I probably have well over 20-30 installations each and - as you know apart from the early FSX days - have never seen it. Personally, I think we need to look at the software environment on your end. For example, which MTX installer & updates are you using? A brief exposé of your system might be helpful too (software & hardware).

Thanks again and kind regards

Jaap

Good morning Jaap,

Thank you very much indeed for your concern. Here are some data.

- CPU AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (dual core) on ASUS board;

- 2 GB RAM

- NVidea Graphics card 7900 GS, 256 Mb

- Windows XP SP2

FSX runs very well on my system, settings in the medium and some high, no autogen, fps after SP1 in the 40's to 50's with a Cessna in the Scottish Lochs, and 25 to 30 when landing and taxying at Geneva with the default B737 (with virtual cockpit). Even at Heathrow reasonable fps (12 to 17).

Before going on about the MT installation you should know that Burkhard did an extensive investigation into my EDDF problem a few months ago (somewhere on this forum you can read the details, the thread has the title 'EDDF stays empty' if I remember well). After a number of tests we concluded that MT did not cause the problem, but rather 'something' in FSX. Obviously there was the suspicion that somewhere FS9 code was at work, but we couldn't find proof of that.

I bought My Traffic in a boxed version (5a) and updated to 5b. Later the modified AFCAD files were installed and individual a/c updates (mainly airbus). As I said earlier, MT runs well on my system with traffic density around 25%. Should add that I brought some Aardvark aircraft into MT, mainly heavies in KLM livery, a.o. because the (old) MT models showed a 'wobbly' behaviour when taxying.

Hope this is sufficient info.

Kind regards,

G'dag René, bedankt for the details. Yes, I remember the thread, 50b should have solved it but didn't. I'ld be curious to learn what happens if you get one of the latest installers.

Something else to maybe check are certain security settings? Maybe DEP (Data Execution Prevention) doesn't or didn't let bits of data pass?

For trouble shooting, it would be best to be 'original MT AI-elements only'. AIM, my suspicion is the software environment, something is stopping somethings else from happening. Another question, is EDDF positively the only airport?

Thanks and kind regards

Jaap

Hi Jaap,

Thanks. I will check the security settings (when I have discovered where they are). But... why would DEP settings allow all airports to work and prevent just this one from doing so? :?

Obviously I haven't checked all the airports in FS, but the 'regular' airports in the European environment (like EHAM, EGLL, EGKK, EGBB, EDDS, EDDH, EDDK, EDDL...and so on) do not present any problems.

Kind regards,