The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC 4.12 allocation of axes, buttons, keys for FSX

Hi Pete:

A couple of questions:

1. In the FSUIPC.ini file there are a couple of lines”

“AxisCalibration=No”

“NoAxisIntercepts=No”

I am showing are the “default settings” from my FSUIPC.ini file, ie on installation, do I need to change these settings ie what do they do?

2. How should I handle commands in FSX which are slightly “different” in FSUIPC 4.12

One example leaps to mind: In FSX “G” (I can assign a single button on my yoke) is assigned to landing gear up/down but in FSUIPC I could assign single button assignments to landing gear down and landing gear up. I usually make all assignments as “Aircraft Specific”. Do I need to delete the button assignment for “landing gear” in FSX or won’t it matter? If I have to delete it in FSX how do you get it to work in any default aircraft not yet designated as “aircraft Specific” in FSUIPC?

I guess what I am asking is, should the assignments in FSX be exactly the same in FSUIPC or doesn’t it matter? For example keystroke “B” is assigned to Barometric reset in FSX, if I assigned that to "doors open" for a specific plane in FSUIPC would there be a conflict? Or, if You assign anything in FSUIPC do you delete that same assignment in FSX?

Thanks

PeterH

A couple of questions:

1. In the FSUIPC.ini file there are a couple of lines”

“AxisCalibration=No”

“NoAxisIntercepts=No”

I am showing are the “default settings” from my FSUIPC.ini file, ie on installation, do I need to change these settings ie what do they do?

No, unless upon reading the documentation and finding out what they do you decide you need them.

2. How should I handle commands in FSX which are slightly “different” in FSUIPC 4.12

FSX "commands" different in 4.12 compared to what? 4.11?

One example leaps to mind: In FSX “G” (I can assign a single button on my yoke) is assigned to landing gear up/down but in FSUIPC I could assign single button assignments to landing gear down and landing gear up.

Since at least FS98, FS has supported three Gear commands == Toggle, Up and Down. For a single button or key press you can only really choose "toggle", but for a proper switch, or a big lever in a cockpit with two micro-switches, you'd obviously use gear Up for up and Gear Down for down. your choice entirely, depending upon what you are using.

FSUIPC doesn't offer anything there which isn't in FS already. The list of controls I provide IS a list of FS controls. FSUIPC does offer a few additions, but these are not they.

I usually make all assignments as “Aircraft Specific”. Do I need to delete the button assignment for “landing gear” in FSX or won’t it matter?

As the documentation clearly explains (you do have the documentation, don't you?), if you assign buttons in FSUIPC you should de-assign them in FS else BOTH actions will occur, which may well be undesirable.

If I have to delete it in FSX how do you get it to work in any default aircraft not yet designated as “aircraft Specific” in FSUIPC?

Erassign it in FSUIPC "Buttons" options. Please please please do read the documentation. Why on Earth are you using "aircraft specific" assignments for general assignments applicable to all aircraft in any case? That makes no sense whatsoever!

I guess what I am asking is, should the assignments in FSX be exactly the same in FSUIPC or doesn’t it matter?

Of course it matters!!! If they are exactly the same why bother to use FSUIPC? Just use FS and forget FSUIPC! Don't bother to use FSUIPC for things well supported in FS already. If you want bto use FSUIPC,, use it for things which FSUIPC is for. And NEVER EVER have buttons assigned in both. Please do read the documentation some time. It will help!

For example keystroke “B” is assigned to Barometric reset in FSX, if I assigned that to "doors open" for a specific plane in FSUIPC would there be a conflict?

No, not KEYstrokes -- KEYSTROKES are not BUTTONS. If you assign a KEYSTROKE in FSUIPC, it will not be seen in FS -- FSUIPC will pinch it. That doesn't apply to buttons. Please do read the documentation.

:-(

Pete