The simFlight Network Forums

Getting Serial Port Data Into FSX

Hi,

I'm a clueless noob to SimConnect, and I've been banging my head against the SimConnect API for days trying to get integer values from a non-keyboard-mouse-joystick serial device into FSX to control the yoke of an aircraft. I've got some code in C++ that reads the values into a console as FSX runs my client, but I'm at a loss as to how I can affect the yoke.

Is doing this even possible using SimConnect (if so, please tell how or where I can find the solution), and if not, will FSUIPC solve my problem? The device

doesn't come with Windows drivers. :(

I've been banging my head against the SimConnect API for days trying to get integer values from a non-keyboard-mouse-joystick serial device into FSX to control the yoke of an aircraft.

You surely mean control the elevator and ailerons? A yoke is an input device such as the one you are trying to interface.

I've got some code in C++ that reads the values into a console as FSX runs my client, but I'm at a loss as to how I can affect the yoke.

Instead of thinking "affect the yoke" think "affect the aircraft controls". A yoke controls two sets of surfaces on an aircraft -- elevator and ailerons. FS's controls for these are called, respectively, AXIS_ELEVATOR_SET and AXIS_AILERONS_SET. You can send values for these using SimConnect's "SimConnect_TransmitClientEvent" after assigning an ID to these Sim Events by using "SimConnect_MapClientEventToSimEvent". The associated parameter values for these vary from -16383 to +16383, with zero being straight and level.

Regards

Pete