The simFlight Network Forums
Burkhard

Boeing 747-400 for FSX

Finally I'm proud to announce the release of the first version of a new aircraft series for FSX - the mighty Boeing 747-400.

It comes with one paint only - Lufthansa, and I hope that our growing team of painters will change this limitation rather soon. Please give it a look and a try, so that changes to the paint kit or model can be made now rather early, before all the other models get built. Intended models, besides this 744 Pax, are 741,742,743,744F and 74SP - 748i and 748f will follow later.

Blank texture will be uploaded here later today.

I ran some intense performance tests on this model. The quality model performas about 5.2 times faster than the Microsoft supplied 744, and about 1.6 times faster than the MyTraffic model originating from FS9 - it even beats the MyTraffic A346 slightly - so definitively the basic MyTraffic principle to bring out new item with more features, better optics and better perfromance could be met.

Also, if somebody can propose a military variant do so now.

Download of the model to replace the old Lufthansa, to be included into the B744MX folder, is

http://www.fsrail.com/My744.zip

post-148-128689536485_thumb.jpg

The model is perfect, but there is in my opinion a bug in the rear windows that looks a little bit strange

The windows are not in line with the windows in the fordward part of the plane

have a look to this picture and look the windows over the registration and compare with MYT 747 model shown .

post-17696-128689536564_thumb.jpg

The rear most windows curving upwards is what I noticed right away too. Other than that... looking very good! May I claim the Martinair Cargo repaint :) ?

Daniel

Hi, the Cargo model is a very different one from geometry of the fuseledge, so please no cargo repaints for the pax models.

Thanks for the remark on the windows, should not be too complcated to change them, what concerns more is that the opening left side rear door has to be lowered too - so thanks to see this now!

I had seen another little bug with the windows.

If you look at the real plane of the photo, the windows of the upper deck are at the same level than the windscreen of the cockpit

In the MTX model, the windows of the upper deck are under the level of the windscreen of the cockpit

see the picture and compare

I´m sorry to have to say this little bugs, but is better to say this today than in two months when there will be 100 textures

Thank you very much

In the other side, the model is wonderfull

@Mvc: if there's no door there, that's an easy fix; just move the windows on the blank texture. 8) Besides, looking at your picture, there, I can see that there should visually be more distance between the two decks.

But you're right about something - better the painful truth now than more painful later.

Ben

Wow.. This was the ONE plane I was REALLY waiting for.. :)

Great Job Burkhard, but I have a couple of pointers too...

The first obvious one, just as everyone else noticed, were the rear windows..

The second one is that I am not comfortable with the positioning of the doors, nor am I sure if the number of windows are correct.

The two rear doors seem to be too close together and the number of windows between them far too less. If I am not mistaken, from what I have seen of the photos of the 747-4, the rear two doors should be seperated by 26 windows. Further, the second door from the rear, when the plane is seen from side-on, fhould ideally be present just at the end point of the engines. Also, all the remaining doors should be moved a little towards the front of the aircraft.

Next, the upper deck, I believe, has the windows positioned incorrectly. The set of windows nearer to the cocpit should have 10 windows and the ones away from the cocpit should have 8 windows. The current model has that inverted! Further, I dont see the cargo-door anywhere!

And if I am not mistaken, I think the size of the windows are little too big in ratio to the size of the plane. I guess they need to be shrunk a little (though comments on this are welcome!).

Dont assume I am nit-picking.. Just that this is my favorite aircraft and I want it to be the best looking one! :)

Regards,

Vikram.

Thanks - I have the impression that maybe some of those things changed over the 20 years this aircraft was built.

My comment on the window size - I agree in principle - but making them still smaller is almost impossible - that would be too few pixels, so let us keep that size.

The only door positions that cannot be changed are both front doors and the left rear door - the rest is texture only. I attach a modified empty bitmap here - just give it a try and redistribute them as you think it is appropriate, I'm busy with something else (A310) today and tomorrow.

The cargo door has been placed behind the second last door. The main reason for this is that otherwise, at a more realistic position 5m more to the front, the vehicle just taxies through the engines. Also the part in the rear part of the front texture is one of the few were a shortening to the 74SP is possible - placing a door there would prohibit this model.

I also uploaded a version of the LH with flat rear windows to the above address.

B744-t.zip

So, except for these doors, none of the other doors can be opened, is it??? But, isnt the second door from the front on the left also opened usually??? Especially when the aerobridge is two-armed like the ones we have at EDDF??? So, I am assuming this cant be done. If u press Ctrl-E on the stock 747 plane, u would see that both these doors are opened.

FSX does not support dual armed jetways, so we do not winby opening them. The rear one gets used for fresh air mainly oftenly on airports.

On the other side, the two front are too near, the material would collapse between them - there are stability issues with Software surface as odd as with carbon fiber panels :lol:

I tried that intensly on the A340 to open more than 2 doors per side, and the penalty for this is huge.

I uploaded a new version to

Mayor changes are:

New, more rounded engines,

All flat base windows texture

Windows / doors redistributed

Read door lowered

Included is a blank texture. Please test, and maybe try to paint, or improve the blank texture further, and distribute the results here.

Attached a detailed view of the new engines.

post-148-128689537695_thumb.jpg

I uploaded a new version to

Mayor changes are:

New, more rounded engines,

All flat base windows texture

Windows / doors redistributed

Read door lowered

Included is a blank texture. Please test, and maybe try to paint, or improve the blank texture further, and distribute the results here.

Attached a detailed view of the new engines.

Can someone help me? I am unable to write a traffic source file to display any MyTrafficX aircraft, let alone the glorious 747. Don't know why, perhaps because I've had to switch to my infrequently used Athlon system after my Core2 had a "bios incident". Can anyone give me example source code and complied BGL for 747 please? I have to figure this out.

Just install it, and go to EDDF, you will meet about a dozen there. Since it replaces the MyTraffic 5.1 744 model for LH, you can also simply use the MyTraffic editor to send it wherever you want ( and the airport has at least two heavy parkings or 36m radius).

Yes - thank you - now I see them. Back to my original question, I would like to answer the challenge of compiling traffic plans with the FSX tools. If anyone has a source code sample and compiled BGL, best using one of the FSX SP1 aircraft models, I would be glad to try it. Once I did have this working, now I cannot.

MyTraffic does this for you, the schedules are in FSX.1 format. You find them under MyTraffic\MT_Plans, and also in the special schedules for the new models only distributed in one of the latest stick posts.

Of course the programmer in me tells me to do it the hard way with the SDK :wink:

So now I've used the mytrafficX editor, and Lufthansa has at last commenced its new daily service from Birmingham to LAX! However it was necessary to put mytrafficown.bgl in its own scenery library entry, and disable the others for MyTrafficX. The 747 is put at a cargo ramp at Birmingham, I guess there are no gate spaces big enough. And perhaps there is just too much competition for spaces. How does FSX decided which planes to use from its collection of BGLs? I would like mytrafficown.bgl to take precedence. I'll try putting it higher in the scenery library later.

Let the programmer in me tell you that that part in the editor, that ensures that the automatically created schedules indeed can take place in meaningful ways, is about 70000 lines of code and took alone half a year to create it.

The most important criterium we know is the radius of the parking, compared to the wing span in aircaft.cfg.

To learn the necessary techniques, here's my first (ever) attempt at a repaint, which I offer for suggestions to improve it. Clearly it's very rough and is viewed with the sun behind the aircraft, so we are looking at the darkside.

Some questions:

1) How do I get the best colour tone for BA? The white is too cream (compare body with tail), however should I try to match to an existing repaint such as 737 or airbus? Should I need the original (non-DXT) bitmap for that, so I can acquire the pixel colour directly?

2) For the body and engines, I used the paint line and fill tools, picking a colour from the original jpeg. Is that best, or should I try cut and paste of the entire engine just like I did for the tail?

3) How to do images like the BA "banner" logo that goes around windows?

4) How to do text "British Airways"? Directly onto the fuselage?

Long way to go, but pleased to get this far!

post-22939-128689538988_thumb.jpg

1- Color. If this was a new operator I'd tell you about how to find a good picture with well saturated colors, not too much direct sunlight (colors look washed-out if you use those), and darker than you think you need. But BA has a good A320 8) paint that you can copy color directly from. http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=60990&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

a: As a general rule use full white for white fuselages, except where they are obviously off-white. Not a good idea to use full black for black, just use a very dark gray.

b: Yes get the original bmp where possible so that you don't have artifacts from reconversion. In fact, where possible use the other bmp to help paint, if available and of a quality that pleases you, i.e. the tail of BA if it's a similar size on the bmp.

2- This is a matter of preference and what you think looks best. Me, I prefer that all my colors that are the same actual color get painted a uniform color and then let the sim do the specular highlights. Some people prefer to "paint on" the highlights. In this case with BA, I'd go with filling with a good color and grabbing the detail from a picture and layering it on top.

a: As an aside again, if you want to get best results with paints, really try to learn to work with layers - this takes patience and trial and error.

3- The logo. If this was a paint from scratch find a good, large picture to cut a logo from: paste it into its own layer, delete what parts are not the logo, recolor the logo or rebalance the color on the logo to match a reference, clean up the pixels on the edges, then make a layer with just windows on the fuselage, move the layer to a higher layer than your logo, delete all white in the "windows" layer, move and resize the logo underneath the "windows" layer until you are pleased with its placement and size (use a picture reference for help - count windows, reference size to door, something), and there you are.

a: As an aside again, don't be worried to take the time to clean up dirty pixels and garbage from digital cameras that leave ugly artifacts in the picture - it will look better.

b: Always use your best judgement!

4- Text. The hardest, in my book, to get right. Take it from a picture, like the logo, but make sure the picture is not too small or taken at an angle, so the writing doesn't slant. Sometimes you have nothing else, and you have to either paint it by hand or transform and stretch the heck out of it to get it good, but watch out as more than one transform will mess up the edges. In fact, best to always try to start with a bigger picture than you need and size it down - it covers many bad things to size down - sizing up, however makes bad things more noticeable.

a: Clean up the edges!

b: Use the number of windows as a reference for size.

c: Maybe fill with the correct color that you need to match (usually I start painting with the tail, so I have to match that color)

5- Painting can be hard work. I hope you like it as much as I do in spite of that.

Longest post ever, and I didn't even say enough... :)

If you are really interested in doing this, you can always ask here on the forums for help, or even you could PM me your bmp and I will be a brutal and merciless critic :P but you will be happy with it when you are done!

[/code]

Thanks Baddog. I sent you a PM with a request for a bmp. I'd like to do some more work to ensure I've touched every area of the process, and then have you tear it apart!

Simon

Also, take care of painting the under carriage. The paint template usually has the main fuselage and the tail section of the fuselage seperate. So, if you are drawing a straight line across the body of the fuselage, take care to see that they align. In the above picture, you can notice that the blue section of the under carriage below the tail is way higher than that of the main fuselage.

Absolutely right, I will come back and correct that once I have proved I can do the other major elements ("British Airways" and banner logo, tail logo on the other side (!), and overall colour tone).

Perhaps vikram can help here - I use Photoshop and its a great tool. MS Paint is going to be tough to work with. We really need to get something better but Photoshop is not cheap.

Any suggestions? I don't know any free programs off the top of my head.