The simFlight Network Forums
Burkhard

Boeing 747-400 for FSX

Attached is a rar file (sorry about the 777 iso 744) with two files:

- a modified blank texture as bmp

- the same but now as photoshop doc

I changed the doors to look more like B744 doors and also lowered the rear doors (not tested how this looks). On pix of the real Queen you can see the lower outside of the rear door is curved somewhat along the body.

In the photoshop version I did split the background including the shapes to a seperate layer, as well as the doors and windows. I also added a layer with the paintable parts colored red.

Daniel

Regarding paint programs: have a look at Paint.net (http://www.getpaint.net/index2.html), it supports multiple transparent layers (but no advanced blending options I think). Through a plug in you can load Photoshop files, in the notes for beta 3.10 they even talk about DXT and DDS but haven't looked at it in detail.

b777-t.rar

All models are built in a way so that, , when you make the front and the rear part, in pixel, the same distance from the upper corners give abolutely straigth lines, within about 1 cm.

So I make let us say the rear part first, than copy and paste about 3 pixels of the open end into the front part - and know it fits. If not, it has to be corrected in the model.

There is one problem with lowering the rear doors still further: The left one must match the opening door - and if this comes too far down, the surfaces have to be tilted so much that they throw strange shadows. I will try with that texture, but cannot guarantee it can be done.

Is the concept of "layers" something generic or specific to a package like "paint". Where can I learn how to do it?

Layers arent specific to any package, though it was Photoshop which probably popularized it. However, "Paint" doesnt have it as it is a very rudimentary program.

I would suggest you download the Beta version of Adobe Photoshop from their website and try your hand using it. Its learning curve is a bit steep, but if you get the hang of it, you would be good to go..

When I paint, I usually use Adobe Photoshop. These days I am using a few paint programs in Linux as I am spending most of my time developing on the Linux platform.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Right now I'm having a good experience with paint.net, which does have layers. That makes things easier. So I'll proceed with a rough version of the major elements and then refine.

I think I'm missing a step. To create the AI plane, I copied Burkhart's Lufthansa bmps into a new texture subdirectory, and then replaced B744-t.bmp with my creation. However at more distant views from the AI aircraft, the original Lufthansa scheme shows through. What do I need to do to generate the lower LODs?

Getting there :D

Simon

Thanks, but not quite:

The quality model uses the -t bitmap for the 4 four LODs, and the t_3 for the last five.

The performance model uses the -t_1 for the first three LODs, and the t_3 for the last five.

I checked about the rear doors. This realy is very difficult to achive, the fuseledge already is so much rounded there that I see no way to get a smooth joint of the door without collapse of the triangles. I will continue to try, maybe we can make the rear door 10 cm = 2 pixel smaller.

Some help please on how to create the LOD bitmaps. I'm creating the -t.bmp, but only at 1024x1024 I think. How to do the others?

Rear doors:

- Maybe lowering the painted window/handle on/inside the door will create the illusion that the door is lower

LODs:

I create a copy of the original image, scale it down to 512x512. Then open the DXT version of the 512x512 bmp in DXTBmp, send it to the editor. There I copy my scaled down repaint over it. Save it, and the 'Reload after Edit' in DXTBmp. Finally I save the 'reloaded bmp' using DXTBmp.

Daniel

Here's a more complete repaint. I've also included the texture that I composited together if anyone wished to make critical observations to improve my technique. That is welcome, be ruthless, but kind words are always encouraged for this labour of love!

My comments:

The tail was a lot of work in the end. And it is not as clean (image noise wise) as Baddogs. I tried to use that but trying to fit/stretch it became time consuming. However I can always carry on in that direction.

Nearly but not quite lined up the blue on the front and rear fuselage.

The BA banner logo does not quite fit right over the door. I did this to balance with the upper deck windows. On one of my reference pictures, the windows start further towards the rear, more above the door than to one side of it. However, could I be looking at the wrong member of the 747 family?

Paint.net worked out real well. Somethings worked better in MS paint, like line drawing to fill an enclosed area.

ba747.zip

post-22939-128689539068_thumb.jpg

You are developping quickly :)

I use ACES imagetool to create the DXT1 bitmaps. Once they are done and saved, a simple extract mipmaps and a "crete mip maps " on teh _1 and _3, saving them makes all the explicit mip bitmaps.

I will give the door another try later today, but want to make the necessary repairs on the A321 first, to get that out of my way...

Built with winzip 11 probably using an 11 only compression. Here's a version that should be compatible with winzip 2. If that does not work, I guess I'll stop swimming against the tide and get winrar!

BA Composite2.zip

Berkhard,

Don't forget my comment about the upper deck windows, they look too far forward on the model and presented a few problems for me with positioning the BA logo that paints across them.

Simon

Thanks Vikram.

Now: Presenting the Flying Dutchman, and friends. I'd like to take a view on any model revisions (e.g. top deck windows and doors) and any comments before finishing the paint, so I'll put the bmp up once we have that.

Next: Quantas.

Simon

post-22939-128689539109_thumb.jpg

I will kook into the master texture this evening, I found a rather clear image that might help for the placements. It may be that I have to make the fuseledge below the read door a bit thicker. More on that tonight or tomorrow.

They look pretty good. I'll look at the textures more closely this weekend for you.

BTW - how did you get all 3 in one picture?

Quite by chance.

I'm lazy when it comes to scheduling, so I just cut and paste and change only the plane id. That means I have a lot of aircraft departing (and arriving) at the same time. When I decided to watch the aircraft from an arrival point of view, FSX puts them all initially in the same space (so they horribly overlap), however they all shortly diverge and for a few minutes you can take nice pictures like this one. Quite the beauty contest!

Despite what I said earlier I've also pained a Qantas to an extent. PM me your email and I'll send you the bmp for all if you wish.

Simon

Here's my files for anyone whom wishes to take a look and make comments. Note KLM and Qantas only have 1 side painted, on the basis that the other side is just a simple mirror image (excluding text).

I can finalise once we are happy with the models and comments are applied.

Next: NWA

post-22939-128689539129_thumb.jpg

qantas.rar

klm.rar

BA Composite.rar

Wise decision to make one side only.

I worked some hours on the model to be able to lower the rear door, and created a new master texture that fits with the doors, the slightly changed fuseledge dimensions, and made some more changes like a cockpit back wall, etc. I uploaded again to the above link, and changed the LH texture to the new layout. Shouldn't be too much work to adjust the textures to the new layout - please try it an comment.

One point, which is outside of any textures, is the rear tires to touch the ground, I will work on that tomorrow, not sure if the last change wasn't too much.