The simFlight Network Forums
Burkhard

Boeing 747-400 for FSX

Thanks Berkhard. I had a quick look at the blank texture and the door revisions look good. Over the weekend I'll do some updating. Can you have a look at the top deck windows? I think they start too close to the cockpit.

Looking further, I see the top deck has moved backwards, but so has the door below, so the windows don't start directly above the door like some photos I've seen.

Sorry for making this thread impossibly wide!

A couple of comments concerning the model:

1) In the side picture, a couple of polygons are sticking out just below the cockpit window. There also an area towards the bottom which you can see-through.

2) In the front picture, if you get close enough, the wings don't quite join to the fuselage

3) Should the upper deck windows be lower, the Qantas picture I have shows them slightly below the cockpit window line. Also should the emergency exit door be longer?

Looking forward to more repainting!

Simon

post-22939-1286895392_thumb.jpg

post-22939-12868953922_thumb.jpg

Thanks, on to the next version, but we are getting closer. I try to use picter ID#1242052 to have the windows distributed. Upper deck windows 2 and 19 are white on this.

So, another day on that model. It seems , from my reference photo, the upper windows are slightly smaller than the lower ones. In addition, I moved them down one pixel - more would no longer firt to the line given by the rear part of the fuseledge. Also the second ( dead) door moved slightly, no I think all the doors are above or below the correct window due to that picture.

Many more changes - all engines turn now when the aircraft moves, wheels are on ground and checked - so unless you find a big isue with this model, I would prefer to freeze it, to create the alternative engine models, than the 743, ....

Not major problems at all and things are looking very good. Thanks for your hard work today and before. I'm very happy with where we are at right now, and it may be time to quit while we are ahead. The only things I can find are:

1) Top deck windows still a little high, but I think you say they can't come down any more. If they could, about 4 pixels or so, so that the centre line of the window meets the bottom corner of the cockpit window. Looking back at some of the earlier screen shots here, they did seem lower in older versions.

2) Couple of small gaps appear in the body and door when rotating around at extreme zoom.

post-22939-128689539397_thumb.jpg

post-22939-128689539415_thumb.jpg

post-22939-128689539433_thumb.jpg

The bottoms of the windows are on the same level as the cockpit windows - the view is skewed - notice your red line isn't parallel with lower deck windows - if you move it, you see they are where they need to be. :?

Agree about the skew. However I think the centre of the windows should be inline with the bottom of the cockpit glass. Look at earlier and later screenshots of this model for comparison. Either way it's no big deal.

Hmm, I see what you mean. Looking at a few pics on a.net, I suppose they could be lowered by 3 pixels or 4 pixels without any ill effect. That's an easy fix since its all in the texture.

Let us agree on two pixels = 10 cm downwards for the top windows, and freeze the rest. If you want to make more, your freedon, since nothing is moving there. My originals show the upper lines if the top window to fall together with the line of the back fuseledge, and there they are now, therefore 4 pixels would be too much, ak a pixel is about 5 cm...

Berkhard, that sounds great thanks.

Also I noticed a small cropping problem in the engine. On the template, the kangaroo has a tail. When rendered in FSX, the tail is chopped off.

Simon

post-22939-128689539528_thumb.jpg

post-22939-128689539545_thumb.jpg

Actually the 747 blank template is really pretty good with accuracy - try the 320 sometime - it has some quirks around the tail section you really have to know. :)

Anyway, just remember for yourself that the back of the engine is a few pixels forward, or even better alter the blank texture and upload it here for the rest of us! 8)

Thanks Baddog - I'll have a look at modifying the template. I wasn't sure whether it was something created as part of the actual model (e.g. from Gmax) or separately.

The jetway docking can be configured in aircraft.cfg, I will do so. Also shorten resp. gray out the engine back - Have to check now, it may be we need the full length for the RR, but am not sure yet.

Here comes the next iteration of the master bitmap.

Te CF6 model and the PW4000 model will use the white part of the engines only. The RR model will use the red part too.

B744-t.zip

Thanks Berkhard, I'll try out the engine revisions tonight. Doors and windows are also on the move. The top deck has moved back towards the cockpit. Is that what you intended?

Here's a shot of the new master and the one before it overlaid to show the differences.

post-22939-128689539624_thumb.jpg

Here comes the next iteration of the master bitmap.

Te CF6 model and the PW4000 model will use the white part of the engines only. The RR model will use the red part too.

So just to aid my understanding and painting, in the fullness of time there will be three models:

747-400 PW engines

747-400 GE engines

747-400 RR engines

And the master texture is applicable to all, noting the importance of the red area.

Correct?

Thanks

Simon

Hi, there you missed one iteration :lol: yes, the second door and the upper windows moved si that they fir best to http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1242052.

I made a new upload to http://www.fsrail.com/B744MX.zip now. Now all three engine models are contained, and the little two issues could be fixed one page before could be fixed.

I try to add a little table with all existing current 744 versions. No, doesn't work as formatted. so I uploaded it to http://www.fsrail.com/744s.htm . Please note that the freighter models still do not exist, this needs another fuseledge.

Only in cases of airlines that need RR ond other models and have not simple engines, two versions are needed, I only see Qantas currently.

Hope I have a few days of holidays from this model now, others are waiting :lol:

During the final check on KLM, I noticed the following. In aircraft.cfg, KLM is configured to use CF6. However at a certain zoom out point, the engines seem to pop to RR with the red band at the back (from the template). The plane in the foreground is correct. The others have popped. What can I do to fix this?

post-22939-128689539724_thumb.jpg

Reference the above mentioned link: The answer that keeps coming up is that "the requested document was not found on this server".

I recommend you make it white. At that distance, it is at LOD075, FSX will use Mipmap 64 or 128, which means that one pixel is 80 resp 40 cm wide.