The simFlight Network Forums
Burkhard

Boeing 747-400 for FSX

The door itself is easy to add and to get moving. The limitation is that it will not work on all airports, airports will need a very special type of parking specialized fpr such heavy loads - but again that is rather realistic. Also, no automatic scheduling of these freighters to those airports may happen.

Training this feature will be more important for C17s and C5s and Antonovs etc. later so.

Concerning the tail - it might have been possible to redesign the main part of the aircraft when relealed 4 weeks ago. Now I will not discard the work of the last 4 weeks to go back. Once a model is frozen, with FSX SDK there is NO WAY to make later modifications.

To complete the PAX versions, here is

http://www.fsrail.com/B741MX.zip

The texture is identical to the 742, as is the fuseledge, differences are in the engines. The Engine house of the early PW JT9 is about 10pixel shorter than the CF6 or later PW. No RR engines ever on the 741.

So now I leared:

The following freighter versions exist:

100SF,200SF,300SF,400SF . All are converted PAX, with filled windows, frame still visable, no front cargo door.

BCF are the same, but converted by Boeing or a partner on behalf of Boeing.

200F,400F have the front cargo door, and are originally built freighters, have no windows.

Still some models to build :shock:

Just download the -100, many thanks, more painting to do! The bitmaps are named B742-t..., should they be B741?

Also do you have a list of paints you would like, did the 741 exist in myTraffic before? I see on a.net there's JAL, which I'm currently working on for the other models.

Hi, the fuseledge is exactly identical on the -100, so we can use exactly the same texture ( and only have to keep in mind that the PW model uses less of the engine house, if there is a paint that cares about it at all, so I think we can even keep the name of the texture.

No. Painted materials are slower than natuaral ones, show many artefacts unless the wing texture is really large, and would considerably increase the work per model - no way to get all models redone before FSXI comes out with paited wings.

Will we have the option to paint the intermodal freight boxes?? :lol: I'm thinking Hanjin, NY, some others I see on the BNSF line here all the time.

Seriously, though, that really looks cool. :mrgreen:

Not yet, but I plan for it, at least a paint on the sides of the box. What we can also make is to have different shapes of the boxes for different engine models.

Maybe a Red Cross truck or other kind of vehicles? Or military/UN mission equipment? A Hanjin container sounds great! :-)

Cheers and kind regards

Jaap

Oh c'mon, Burkhard, don't be a spoil sport! :-)

It's a pity we don't have that many logical connectors... But maybe that's good too? :-)

Kind regards, Jaap

Here comes the bitmap for the freighters, same for -200F and -400F.

http://www.fsrail.com\B744F-CF6-quality.zip contains a model that allows painting the container - but that part may still change. Also, the model still has to get some more changes, not sure if all of the pax mods can be added, but there are some days of work waiting for me...

B74F-l.zip

I'm in the process of generating the night textures - just the windows, not the custom tails. Firstly there a small problem with the master. The circle used to draw the light on the tail overlaps the engine area. I rubbed it out and here's a new version.

Secondly, looking at Lufthansa I see the following:

B744-l 512x512, 8 mips

B744-l_3 128x128, 6 mips

So B744-l is really B744-l_1 as produced by Image tool. Why do we not use the 1024x1024 LOD? It doesn't quite look as good, particularly if you switch the lights off and on for comparison. I'm guessing it's down to performance, two textures to apply to each AI aircraft instead of 1.

Simon

B744-l_new.zip

Microsofts recommends to have smaller night maps than day maps to get some night smoothing, and to save texture memory in the grafics adapter and bandwidth over the IO busses.

And maybe a little more before the snow melts :wink:

For the night textures, there are -l.dds and -l_3.dds. If I have changed the master bitmap, and regenerated the DXT1 BMPs, do I need to (somehow) regenerate these DDS files too?

Simon