The simFlight Network Forums

Flight control Gauge

Greetings,

I have a flight control XML gauge that limits the flight control throws when using a joystick. I noticed that when the gauge is active and the flight controls are moved, they freeze in the limited full deflection. When I take the FSUIPC4 DLL out of the modules folder of FSX everything works as advertised. I think it was when I calibrated my joystick via FSUIPC4 that the problem started. Any thoughts?

Christopher Raison

I have a flight control XML gauge that limits the flight control throws when using a joystick. I noticed that when the gauge is active and the flight controls are moved, they freeze in the limited full deflection.

Sorry, I've no idea what your gauge is reading. Care to be more explicit about how it works -- specifically what FS variables is it reading? Maybe the gauge is not written correctly? This must be the case if the flight controls are operating correctly despite the false readings, don't you think?

When I take the FSUIPC4 DLL out of the modules folder of FSX everything works as advertised. I think it was when I calibrated my joystick via FSUIPC4 that the problem started. Any thoughts?

Not really, at least without further information. It is easy for you to check whether the gauge still works without the calibration enabled, just disable it (press the appropriate "reset" button(s) -- you can always re-enable these afterwards).

If you've assigned your flight controls through FSUIPC4 then, depending on what your gauge is reading, it may not work in any case -- it could be reading the joystick value rather than the actual control surface positions.

Please ALWAYS state the version of FSUIPC when asking questions here.

Regards

Pete

Greetings,

Rob Barendregt created the gauge for me some time ago. It worked just fine with FSUIPC3 with no problems. I have FSUIPC4.1.2. I don't know how exactly the gauge works so I have attached it here.

Thank you.

-

This FS2004 gauge limits the Elevator and Rudder controller Axis input (and thereby the Elevator and Rudder controlsurfaces) when flaps are fully retracted. To install: - In the \panel\ folder of your aircraft, create a subfolder \rcb-gauges\ - Move this gauge (ControlSurfaceLimit.xml) to this new folder ...\panel\rcb-gauges\ - In the panel.cfg file, preferably in a [Vcockpit**] section, or if not available, in the [Window00] section, add the line: gauge**=rcb-gauges!ControlSurfaceLimit, 0,0 where ** is the next free gauge number. - You can change the limit percentages in the (*******) section below, to your preference. Current limitiations: - ElevatorUp: 50% (12/24 degrees) - ElevatorDown: 80% (9.5/12 degrees) - Rudder: 11% (4/35 degrees) NOTE1: when added to the [Window00] section, the 2D CockpitView must have been visible at least once before the gauge is active in FS2004 !! NOTE2: when the external axis (joystick, pedals) is moved beyond the limit, and is moving, the visible control surface (in SpotPlane View) will be "flapping" (because it is constantly being corrected by the gauge). NOTE3: the rudder axis controls both the nosewheel AND the rudder; because you don't want the nosewheel limited when on the ground, I've made sure the Rudder limitation will only work when the aircraft is in the air. COPYRIGHT STATEMENT ================== Although this gauge is freeware, it may NOT be renamed, copied, re-uploaded, modified, or bundled in an other archive, without my prior consent. Rob Barendregt, 8 Nov. 2005 Email: rc.barendregt@planet.nl

-

-

(**********************************************) (**********************************************) 60 sp0 (* ElevatorUp limit, in percent *) 100 sp1 (* ElevatorDown limit, in percent *) 25 sp2 (* RudderRight limit, in percent *) (**********************************************) (**********************************************) (A:FLAPS HANDLE INDEX,number) 0 == if{ (A:ELEVATOR POSITION,percent) l0 > if{ l0 -163.84 * (>K:AXIS_ELEVATOR_SET) } (A:ELEVATOR POSITION,percent) l1 neg < if{ l1 163.84 * (>K:AXIS_ELEVATOR_SET) } (A:AUTO COORDINATION,bool) ! (A:RUDDER POSITION,percent) l2 > && if{ l2 -163.84 * (>K:AXIS_RUDDER_SET) } (A:AUTO COORDINATION,bool) ! (A:RUDDER POSITION,percent) l2 neg < && if{ l2 163.84 * (>K:AXIS_RUDDER_SET) } }

I don't know how exactly the gauge works so I have attached it here.

I don't know XML. And gauges for FS9 don't necessarily work in FSX. Have you any other problems apart from this FS9 gauge?

How do you use it? What does it do and what is the problem? Doesn't the author respond to you?

If I need a file to put in a panel, please send a file. Attach to a message to petedowson@btconnect.com.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

I did find however, that the spoilers inc and spoilers dec don't seem to work. I have your latest and tried with a joystick button and a key press flying FSX.

The FSUIPC Spoilers inc and dec added controls, you mean? ...

... Ah! The problem is that the "SpoilerIncrement" parameter, which always used to be written to the FSUIPC INI for version 3 is not currently written to the FSUIPC4.INI file, and it consequently defaults to zero instead of 512 as documented.

Good catch! I'll fix that in the next update. Meanwhile, just add:

SpoilerIncrement=512

(or whatever you prefer) to the [General] section of the INI file and it will work fine, though note that you have to be in the air for spoiler adjustment -- on the ground you can only arm them which will deploy them fully automatically.

Regards

Pete

Pete,

I put the spoiler entry in the .ini and the spoilers opened a bit and stopped. Then, they would not close unless I used the key assignment. I checked the box for button to be held, still no joy. I will just wait for your new version.

Christopher

I put the spoiler entry in the .ini and the spoilers opened a bit and stopped. Then, they would not close unless I used the key assignment. I checked the box for button to be held, still no joy. I will just wait for your new version.

It was uploaded last night -- version 4.156, in the FSX downloads announcement. I had to make additional changes for FSX, which appears to operate the spoilers rather differently internally. Version 4.156 works perfectly.

Regards

Pete