The simFlight Network Forums
flying-w

Simon's Boeing 747 Paint Thread

*** Updated attachment, see below. 747 KLM.zip superseded by KLM747a.zip ***

Behold more Boeings!

I'm glad to say that I've got to the point where I have completed a 747 repaint, and would like to start a paint thread (just like baddog's for Airbus) to collect them together for Burkhard to use. Learning to paint has been a time consuming but enjoyable exercise, and I hope others will be able to join with other 747 paints. Right now we can do both -300 and -400 series. I can't promise to turn them out as fast as everyone else, but more to come very soon.

Here is KLM. Compared with the original screenshots a while ago, I have darkened the blue to make it match better with the 737 already done. Also the KLM logos are all tidier. I made a few changes to windows, moving the top deck back a little and deleting one or two to better represent my references. There are many variations in -400 construction and airline modification, so this may not be the last time it is needed.

Qantas is very nearly complete, I'm holding it back to see if I can improve the tail edge texture. Also very soon will be NWA, BA, JAL, and Air France , all in various stages of completeness.

Comments on this repaint are most welcome, I'll try to fix things and use suggestions in others. And thanks to Berkhard and Ben for being excellent teachers, critics and infinitely patient whilst I continue to learn the trade.

So give it a try, and pay a visit to Schipol soon!

post-22939-128689539762_thumb.jpg

KLM 747a.zip

Will do, Simon. Thanks. What an honor to get a Dutch plane first. :-)

We've sailed a couple of stormy seas lately. And I can assure, all of you have been a tremendous motivation to keep on moving forward. Your enthusiasm is inspiring.

Muchas graçias

Jaap

*** Updated attachment, see below. Qantas-RR.zip and Qantas-PW.zip superseded by Qantas-RRa.zip and Qantas=PWa.zip ***

How about a trip to Sydney next? Here's Qantas. The only way I could improve the artifacts on the tail was to replace the blue with gold completely. However I have left it unchanged for now as I like the blue. See what you think, if you don't like it it's not hard to change.

Qantas comes in both PW and RR versions

post-22939-128689539777_thumb.jpg

post-22939-128689539793_thumb.jpg

Qantas-RRa.zip

Qantas-PWa.zip

My comment: That' s perfect. This will set the new standard for 747-400ds until we have to redo everything for FSXII .

*** Updated attachment, see below. BA747RR.zip superseded by BA747RRa.zip ***

BA, featuring RR engines. Until the 777 takes a turn, the 747s dominate Heathrow.

Next: either NWA or JAL, depending on how my work day goes tomorrow!

PS. Thanks to Baddog for the help with this one.

post-22939-128689539865_thumb.jpg

BA747RRa.zip

Could you just upload one "master" as you use it currently? I just got aware we have to adjust the night map to it, so that night windows fit the day windows exactly - detected this while creating file B743-l.bmp :)

I see we've had an upgrade!

The "local" master will come tomorrow. Good point about the night lighting, I should be checking that on the repaints. Almost every repaint so far has required some window deletions to match the requirements of the carrier.

With the board down I've accumulated quite a few updates, which I'll keep for a short while to verify the lights. Is there another step I need to do for the lights, considering the window layout does get changed?

Updates to come:

- Changed the main colour tone of KLM a little and Qantas a bit more to match their friends in the7 737 fleet. After a lot of searching I finally found a DXT viewer that worked so I could match the pallette to what had already been created. Qantas was quite a bit too light.

- Fixed overexposure on the BA banner logo that turned the grey shadow effect to a sand colour.

- Completed NWA and JAL, colour matched to FSX repaints.

Next: Air France

Simon

Yes, the windows in the _l texture needs map the _t windows, otherwise it looks most strange during dusk. If it is just deletion of a window, the effect isn't too bad, but shifting requires some more work... Also see the other thread.

It's been a funny day. Had Air France all done then somehow lost it. Managed to find an old copy with at least the tail painted, which was most of the work. So France soon, then Air New Zealand. More uploads once night lighting is done.

@ Daniel, didn't Simon start the NWA already? The post with BA shot says so.

@ Simon and Burkhard, any idea what's causing the rudder artefact? Can you see it on your end, Burkhard? Do you have a Radeon GPU, Simon?

Cheers and kind regards

Jaap

I have done an NWA, and indeed did use Baddog's A320. Not uploaded yet since as I was hanging on to look at the night lighting. Don't really mind which we end up using, perhaps Daniel will produce a better one. I had some trouble with the alignment of the components at the front and ended up with a little compromise rather than absolute fidelity.

Jaap - Can you give me a picture of the rudder artifact? All my recent work has been on a 7600GS based system. However my Core2 with X800XL has just been fixed (needed a new motherboard) so I can compare as required.

Do you mean this one:

http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63922&sid=41f87ee070a9eb5847577de00ff7efce

PS. Air France in the picture is the old one, however I've just finished the new one. Next I'm looking at Air New Zealand

post-22939-128689540444_thumb.jpg

So just a summary of the 747-400 painted so far:

British Airways

Qantas (RR and PW)

KLM

NWA

JAL

Air France

Only some of those uploaded, just waiting on the night texture for the rest.

New Zealand is underway, although my tools may not beup to the job - we'll see. Also I'll get to any -300 variants of the above this weekend (hopefully)

Hi Simon, I meant on the left side of the tail, for example on the NWA in your last shot. On the AFR behind it seems less visible. If you had used a Radeon, I would have slowly tended to believe that a couple of anomalies we're seeing are driver related, now it seems more global. Don't know what to make of it.

Thanks for the speedy reply, have a great weekend

Jaap

Thanks Jaap - that makes it clear now. Yes I think I'm seeing this on every paint to a greater or lesser extent. I had presumed it was a lighting effect made by FSX so had rather ignored it, but you are right to point it out so we can check into it. I wonder if it is so on the dark side of the plane as well, away from the sun, I'll have a look later. Perhaps Berkhard will have insight.

Thanks again, Simon, it appears to be one side only.

You probably noticed a couple of buggy lightning effects, for example the inverted winglets illumination. And FWIW, the same rudder thing happens to a couple of 737s when far away, closing in it disappears. Lights seem to buggy in general. I hope these issues get fixed with FSX-SP2. OTOH, designing around SP1 now will likely have some undesired effects in SP2... As if it wasn't hard enough to maintain pace. :-)

Since short, we're also seeing some strange artifacts on the front of the wings (i.e. A300/310 plus new B747). It only occurs from a small & specific angle and with a particular incidence of light. Maybe it's material related? Definitely something to look into. Otherwise, the 744 is the best MT aircraft ever. KJFK is starting to look shockingly real. :-)

Cheers and kind regards

Jaap

Hmm, okay :)

I'll leave this one like it is then. BTW, using Baddog's colors, the circle in the logo has very little contrast to the fuselage. The numbers on the engine are to find out which engine goes where :) The example I used has two colors on the inside engines.

Daniel

post-18066-128689540459_thumb.jpg

Daniel - do you have the master texture I uploaded the other day, V1.5? I think it's in the 747-400 thread. Burkhard is designing the night lighting around this I believe. The windows are shifted around a little.

Simon

No problem on the windows, I always put them in a separate layer, so I can just paste in the new layout when it's available.

Here's a first version. Have to clean up the tail (and make the white there a bit gray), maybe the letters should be a bit smaller, and I'll have to look at which engines to use :)

But now... I'm gonna prepare for an all night meteor watching session :)

Daniel

post-18066-128689540465_thumb.jpg

Fellafly said: "BTW, using Baddog's colors, the circle in the logo has very little contrast to the fuselage"

I wanted to comment on color in general with regard to this; What you say is very true - and you'll know the difficulty in getting colors right - I probably should have made it a smidge darker. The culprit, in my opinion, is that often the specular highlights that FSX naturally applies are too much and it causes problems for the observer when there is not much real-life contrast between colors, such as NWA. In this case, we must skew the colors in favor of looking good in FSX, not necessarily keeping strictly to true-life color. I tend to choose more dark, saturated colors than true-life color, stopping short of "catoonish" color because I think it looks better when FSX renders it.

That's my two cents... :?

New Zealand has got the better of me so I'm putting it away for another time; it's up for grabs if anyone wants it. In the meantime, I'll book out Singapore next.

Simon