The simFlight Network Forums
flying-w

Simon's Boeing 747 Paint Thread

Yes, that is what I was thinking about. I would do it in Visual Fortran, since I never was successfull with bitmaps in C* - but not this week.

Back from the festival, Saybia and Tool still lingering in my head :)

I didn't see the Cargolux yet, so I started to work on it. Phew, quite some variations: stripes stop at the letters, stripes stop just before the nose, stripes all around the nose, letters same size as stripes, letters bigger, white fuselage, gray/yellow fuselage with a white box around the stripes, doors here doors there, almost no doors, a single window halfway the fuselage, different types of upper doors....

Anyway, here is my work in progress. I'm trying to get the logo at the bottom of the nose, but it gets so deformed (see close up), I think I will leave it out.

Daniel

post-18066-128689542402_thumb.jpg

post-18066-128689542417_thumb.jpg

we're safe, I picked Air France instead as I already had most of the necessary artwork. The lineup problems on the nose look similar to those on the 400pax, which Burkhard was able to fix although I think calibrating the model was a lot of hard work.

The Pax version still had UVW.maps, these had to be removed and the texture frozen when the nose was cut off - I think you cannot paint below the body or nose, at least nothing you can read.

Unfortunately I think we'll be better of without the nose logos, which really show up when it is open. I forgot to add this on Air France (they have quite a small one), so had not noticed the issue. Something to revisit in the next version (MyTraffic for FSX 11, 12 or whatever)

Simon

Thought about it again.

There is now way to make paints in the numbers we have other than from a planar side perspective, with all the fuseledge, doors etc cut out of one piece to ensure all lines run smooth.

This prevents and paint other than areas and lines on the top or on the bottom or on the nose - as example when Lufthansa had the football on the nose - no way to paint that properly in such a projection.

If one would make a planar front projection in addition for the cargo door, the football would become paintable, but still anything on the bottom not - and we would loose the smoothness of the transition from nose door to fuseledge.

So the only thing that I can think of is an extra plate glued to the nose door, opening with that, that you can paint. Maybe I give it a short try when I come back to the F-models, first the 742,741 and 74SP pax and Converted have to be finished.

And -since you asked for it - please do not beat me - my order :lol:

It contains all 747 operating currently - those that are marked stored like Iberia's are not listed. The columns pax and Converted can be done now on the latest models, the Freighters still have to be finished.

If you find paints that are not in this list, of course you may feel free to paint case the list is too short for you...

744s.zip

Thank you for the list Burkhard. Later I'll upload a version which marks what we have collectively repainted so far. So unless you tell me otherwise, I'll focus on 744 cargo and pax versions to get us ready for 5.1a as soon as possible.

Good idea. The good thing with the 743s is that all but Pullmantur and PIA come for free, most also operate 744s.

I won't compete with you, but hope for others. I have to finish all the models first, and if I have a bit of spare time some A321s to paint...

I checked the list, noticed Pullmantur 742 is marked, but the 743 is not, I posted that one in this thread without screenshot.

The 'converted' 744's, are those the BCF's?

Daniel

The converted 741/2/3 are called SF - Special Freighters. The converted 744 are either called SF ( if converted by a third party ) or BCF if converted by Korean Airlines on behalf of Boeing...

I checked the list, noticed Pullmantur 742 is marked, but the 743 is not, I posted that one in this thread without screenshot.

The 'converted' 744's, are those the BCF's?

Daniel

Thanks for checking Daniel. Clearly I need more coffee today. Here is V1.1, which has Pullmantur 743 marked done and Corsairfly.com 744 marked in progress.

Speaking of CorsairFly, is there a ThomsonFly or other TUI in the same light blue paint scheme already done? Didn't see them in the traffic editor.

Simon

744s done V1.1.zip

Virgin Atlantic

A couple of notes:

1) Night Lighting is a work in progress and may be revised before final release.

2) For those of you who look closely, there's a compromise around the tail. Pictures show the logo ending on the 4th window, and where the tail joins the body. However both points are in different places. So I've extent the pattern out a bit. It goes beyond the tail and ends at the 3rd window. So while not insanely accurate, I think this is a good compromise and looks much like the A340.

Virgin Atlantic 747-400 My25 V3.zip

Virgin Atlantic 747-400 My25 Night V3.zip

post-22939-128689542929_thumb.jpg

Looks like someone crept in during the night and stole BA's terminal 4 fleet for CorsairFly.com! I think it will be quite easy to make Corsair.fr drop out as well, assuming you'd like one of those too.

Speaking of TUI, I don't see ThomsonFly, except over my roof :lol:. Is a 737 paint required?

Simon

post-22939-128689542947_thumb.jpg

Corsair Fly 747-400.zip

Corsair Fly 747-400 Night.zip