The simFlight Network Forums
TyphoonTom0402

FSX Tool box can't be found

After clearly following the instructions as shown below, the "Tool" portion does not show when I'm displaying the cockpit and press the "ALT" key. These are the instructions I've followed:

Traffic Toolbox

Microsoft has published an SDK for FSX, that contains many valuable tools. If you own the professional version of FSX, you will get it installed automatically once you install the SDK. Two further hints in this case: If you have updated FSX with Service Pack 1, you also must update the SDK, the toolbox dll from the early CDs does not work with FSX.1. By default, the toolbox gets installed as inactive. You have to edit %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX\dll.xml and change the lineTrue to False.

If you do not have the SDK installed, a copy of the toolbox dll can be found in the MyTraffic folder. Again check your folder %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX for a file dll.xml. If there is none, you may copy MyTraffic\dll.xml over to %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX for a file dll.xml. If this file exists, as example after an installation of FSUIPC, edit it, so that it contains the following section:

Traffic Toolbox

False

False

MyTraffic\traffictoolbox.dll

What am I doing wrong?

I have the latest version of SDK installed along with Service Pack 1 for FSX.

Tom

These instructions contain several if's, and you did not tell us which ones you followed.

So, since you have the latest version of the SDK ( called SP1a ) installed, you should have a file dll.xml in your user profile,

under %appdata%/Microsoft/FSX.

Im rather sure you have any entry for the traffic toolbox therein that is disabled.

Thanks for your reply...this is what my dll.xml file reads:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

Launch

dll.xml

True

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects

SDK\Visualfxtool.dll

Traffic Toolbox

False

False

In the original instructions, it does not mention the line:

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effefts SDK\Visualfxtool.dll>/Path>

I added that in there but even without it, it did not work. I also tried changing "True" to "False" and then back and it still does not work. I have two dll.xml files, one under FSX folder and the other under MyTraffic folder. I've followed all the instructions with many variations and I'm hung here. I also reinstalled SDK SP1A and it still does not show it. I did more than what I should have had to. I am under the impression that all I had to do was install SP1A and then change the False to True or vice versa and I still don't get a tool box. I need this tool box because without it, MyTraffic Editor is totally blank...I need the tool box to dump the airports into MyTraffic Editor. Also, am I looking in the right place for the tool box? What I do to find it is go into FSX, go into Free Flight, pick and aircraft, an airport, and start at the end of the runway. Then when I'm in the cockpit, I press and hold "ALT" key and I see my menu on top, but it does NOT show the tool box. The last entry starting from the left "Help". I hope this helps you narrow down what I'm doing. Thank you so much!

First, do not use fullscreen mode together with the toolbox, switch to windowed mode, that will solve the next problem you would be running into. But the menu TOOLS or EXTRA depending on language version should show up.

Second, you only need it case you made changes to your airport or installed Addon airports, the MyTraffic database contains the airports as installed by stock and MTX5.1.

But still, you need to get it, and I strongly recommend that you use the one from the SDK since it may be this one isn't the last one. So why don't you delete the dll.xml under your user profile and reinstall the SP1 SDK ( resp. run the command procedure it has to be setup up, do not have it on this computer ). Than your dll.xml should be a bit longer, containing two entries, each with a addon> structure. The one with the traffic toolbox, change to false . Keep the SDK path at it is. That should do it.

One problem with the toolbox I ran into is I have the SDK installed on the C: drive, but FSX on the D: drive. To have the toolbox work, I needed to change the path entry to a fully specified path on C:, rather than just relative to FSX. If this is your problem I can post up my dll.xml when I get home later tonight.

Simon

Simon...thank you for your reply...here is what I noticed, my folder "SDK" path is next to but not within my folder "FSX", should my folder "SDK" be INSIDE my "FSX" folder or next to it? Yes, please send me what you have. I have tried everything that that Burkhard suggested and still no luck.

Burkhard: My MyTraffic data base shows NOTHING! Everything is blank, that was my original problem...in reading the manual, you need Tool Box to dump the airports into MyTraffic. How can I get to seeing the airports and aircraft in MyTraffic Editor. I have also tried windows mode and still no Tool Box. What's happening?

For EUR33.00 I can't believe all the trouble...so far, I rate MyTraffic a -10. It's a poor product with too many bugs. It's been 48 hours and I still can't get it to work and with all the message on it, that should be an indicator.

Please convince me this is a good product. I will try your suggestions (again) and see what happens. Thank you...

The SDK gets installed by default to program files\MicrsoftGames, so aside FSX. This is different to FS9, but normal and OK as it is - nothing is in FSX as it was in FS9 is a very good assumption.

The SDK installation creates a file dll.xml, and all I tell you is that you have to change one "true" to "false" to actually see the traffic toolbox. This has NOTHING to do with MyTraffic, and only with FSX professional edition, so please do not blame us who are spending our time to help you to install FSX Professional completely.

Again on the editor:

You start the program, than you load the database file, and you have the list full of aircraft and airports. Creating a new one from scratch will be a year of work at least, 10 hours a day, so you better stick to the one delivered. I hope that you did not overwrite the delivered one by saving nothing to it, we once had such a case under several 1000 MyTraffic users. If this is the case, your .myt file should be very small, and you either install MX5.1 again to get the original file back, or we can upload a copy for you.

Hi Burkhard...

Okay, some progress here...I found all the flight data/airlines/airports loaded in MyTraffic 5.1 so I know it is loaded properly and working fine. It's very difficult to use but I have the manual in front of me and as long as it does not go belly up, it will be just fine.

Now to the original problem...I still can't get my tool box loaded in-flight. I tried your suggestion (Windowed mode/non-Windowed mode) and it does not show up in either case. I have re-installed everything and re-worked my dll.xml file and I have the same problem. I also changed false to true and it still does not pop up. In your instructions you show an "f" and in the instructions it shows an "F" - basically capital "F" versus lower case "f", does that make a difference?

You mentioned something about "use the Toolbox from SDK", well, that's where it comes from in the first place, so how do I access it there directly? Then you mention "delete the dll.xml under my user profile (what do you mean by "user profile") and reinstall SP1 SDK. (I've re-installed it 3 times, there is nothing wrong with it). Then you say "resp. run the command procedure it has to be setup up, do not have it on this computer". What does all that mean? What do you mean "this computer"? Am I supposed to be using two computers?

Please give me instructions by numbering them, for example:

1. Do this: AAA

2. Then do this: BBB

3. Then do this: CCC

4. Then do this: DDD

... , this will make following instructions far easier.

Like I said, MyTraffic seems to be okay, but it's not working too well together with FSX, so that's where I need help. Your patience with me is greatly appreciated.

Simon...thank you for your reply...here is what I noticed, my folder "SDK" path is next to but not within my folder "FSX", should my folder "SDK" be INSIDE my "FSX" folder or next to it? Yes, please send me what you have. I have tried everything that that Burkhard suggested and still no luck.

Hi Tom,

That may be a problem, I think Microsoft expect you to have everything in the FSX folder. You could try specifying the full directory and drive letter in your path tag for dll.xml. Otherwise I'll post up what I did, in about 6 hours time. Not allowed FSX at work :?

Hang in there with MyTraffic. I own all 3 traffic products (Just Flight and Ultimate Traffic), but "My" is the only one I use now. It is moving forward the fastest, what is being developed is clearly visible, and the user/staff community here is fantastic compared with experiences I've had elsewhere.

Simon

It is all about the dll.xml that you have below %appdata%/Microsft/FSX - configuration files in the FSX program folder have no function at all.

If this is exactly the following (XML is case, so correct is False, not false, sorry, sensitive):

Launch

dll.xml

False

False

Traffic Toolbox

False

False

and the traffictoolbox.dll in the MyTraffic folder is the actual one, compare the date with the one in the SDK to go sure it is,

than it should work. A good test for XML syntax is the following: Double click on it and let Internet Explorer or another broser open it. If this shows the text, than syntax and grammar are OK, if they show an error, than there is a syntax error.

After installation of the SP1a SDK, I got a dll.xml file looking the follows:

Launch

dll.xml

False

False

Object Placement Tool

True

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll

Traffic Toolbox

True

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll

Visual Effects Tool

True

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll

This indicates a correct setup of the SDK, the only thing that remains to be done is in the section

Traffic Toolbox

True

change that to

Traffic Toolbox

False

But please zip that dll.xml file and attach it here and we can inspect it...

Thanks Simon!

This is now what my dll.xml file looks like after using the one from SDK:

Launch

dll.xml

False

False

Traffic Toolbox

False

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll

Traffic Toolbox

False

I tried both False and false and neither worked. Bottom line, my tool box is still not working and after trying what you said in your last post, I may just give up and forego the tool box, this is far too much a waste of my time of which I have only enough to enjoy this product and not become a programmer. I think next time, I will buy USA products only. Thanks anyway...

If you had done once what I suggested, you would be one of 1000ds of happy MyTraffic costumors. To my knowledge Microsoft is a US company, and they decided to make things so complicated that users of FSX or Vistas need programming skills.

In this case, you have two entries under the same name that contradict each other. Just try:

Launch

dll.xml

False

False

Traffic Toolbox

False

False

You will see this has nothing to do with MyTraffic, is pure US made software, and I expect it will work.

@ Simon, first off, thanks for the kind words, appreciated. It wouldn't be the same without you great lot either. ;-) Thanks a bundle.

@ All, about paths, yes, this is the way we're heading. Windows builds around certain assumptions. Prefetching to name one example, is usually only active on your main partition (AFAIK). So, installing away from default locations can be counter-productive.

Instead of installing FSX on a 'separate drive letter', for example D, you could also *map* a drive to be the FSX directory within C.

FWIW, I have my OS and programs on C (to keep the default locations) and have the pagefile on D (to avoid read/write collisions).

Worst of all, is slicing single drives into multiple partitions. This will cause a lot of head travel and during this time, no date will be read or written. A second implication in this case, is, Windows likes large partitions and calculates a couple of dependencies based upon the partition's *free space*. For example the Master File Table (MFT). As a chief from Tuvalu once said: "Don't cut it up as if you were slicing a coconut!" ;-)

Hope this adds to thoughts and kind regards

Jaap

Tom,

Here's my dll.xml, which shows up Traffic Toolbox. SDK is installed on C:\, and FSX on D:\ so I need to explicitly say where the SDK is, since it is not relative to FSX. Perhaps if you spell out exactly where your SDK is installed, it will start working for you.

Launch

dll.xml

False

False

Traffic Toolbox

False

False

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll

Hi everyone!

First, thanks for everyone's help. Up until now I have tried all the advise given to me plus I have copied everyone's version of their dll.xml file onto my FSX folder and verified that it works by double clicking on it to show that the syntax is okay. Well, all is okay. But when I go to load FSX and go into a flight, the ToolBox does not exist. Conclusion...my problem is NOT the dll.xml file. The file is fine.

I've loaded 12 version of it with all the corrections and nothing has changed at all. My problem is not the dll.xml file. I have the latest version of SDK and SP1A loaded and my FSX works just fine...but no tool box. I've pretty much given up because no one can help, so I have one question...what is the tool box for and why do I need it?

I never even knew it existed (or was supposed to exist) until I went to load MyTraffic X. Do I need it? What's it for? Will I need it if I want to load new scenery or aircraft? I've loaded new aircraft successfully and have never had a need for this so-called ToolBox. Am I looking in the wrong place? I go to look for it when I go into "Free Flight" and am viewing from the cockpit of any aircraft. I'm in Windows Mode as instructed to be in...no Tool Box. The last item along the top left hand column is "Help" and that's it.

Any suggestions?

P.S.: The problem is not my dll.xml file - any "other" suggestions?

Hi Tom,

the traffic toolbox is a part of the FSX SDK. It allows you to have a radar like look of the AI traffic around you, a list of this traffic, some more traffic settings, and the dump airports feature . It increases your AI traffic experience, whatever AI traffic software you are using - but is not really necessary unless you try to become an AI Guru. It is one of those parts of the FSX Professional edition that makes it worth the extra money you paid for it.

Enabling of this Microsoft software is done in the dll.xml that you find in your personal user profile.

This is typically at C:\documents and settings\Yourusername( as example Tom)\application data\Microsoft\FSX, which can be written shorter as %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX . No other instance of dll.xml gets used.

No other bit is included into the toolbox nor its setup, it is a Microsoft product, expanding FSX, and we try to help you to enable this on your computer. We know 10000ds of users have enabled it successfully, sometimes it needed to look three times at the users dll.xml file to find a little typo, since these files can get rather complex with more addons, but we do not give up so early - and your case should be easy since you do not yet have a bunch of other addons that require the same file.

You have to accept that besides the toolbox itself, and you say you installed the SDK that came with FSX Service Pack 1, and the said dll.xml no other file is involved.

If you are convinced that your user profile dll.xml is correct, and the path defined in there really points to a file traffictoolbox.dll from FSX Service Pack 1 SDK (and you did not remove that from that location during your trials), there is no way to help - that is what is working everywhere.

Hi Tom,

If you like, I'll try to make a dll.xml with your configuration in it. Tell me exactly where you have TrafficToolbox.dll installed, i.e. the full path to it including drive letter. I will copy my dll to that place, make sure it works, and send you the file.

If that does not fix it, you might ask the question on the FSX forum here at SimFlight or Avsim, where there might be more people looking.

Simon

Hi Simon...

Thanks for your help...here is where my dll.xml file is located (I have it located in two places and it contains exactly the same syntax in all three, I've verified the syntax for errors by double clicking on it and it displays just fine in IE 7.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK

Here once again is what is contained inside:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252" ?>

-

Launch

dll.xml

False

False

-

Object Placement Tool

True

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll

-

Traffic Toolbox

False

False

-

Visual Effects Tool

True

False

..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll

-

Traffic Toolbox

False

False

Do you see any errors that could be causing my problem? I'm having a feeling it has something to do with my path...could that be?

Here is my next questions regarding MyTraffic 5.1 Editor:

I have downloaded the manual for it and though it contains a good bit of information and instructions, a good part of the "snapshots" do not match what I see on my screen but I can live with that. I have up until now had no luck in adding any traffic to any of my airports. I went into my FSX and viewed some airports and they are indeed loaded with some very nice AI traffic, I even sat and saw some take-offs and landings - very nice indeed. This tells me that I installed it just fine and that it works just fine.

I even went into ETAR-Ramstein Air Base, Germany and saw some beautiful KC-135's (tankers) and C-130's and witnessed a few take-offs and landings as well. Now the problem...none of my Japan-based military air bases have any AI traffic. I'm mainly interested in RODN-Kadena Air Base (Okinawa), Japan which is where I live. It's totally deserted. Then I went into nearby ROAH-Naha International Airport (same island) and it was loaded with AI aircraft including some China-based airlines and Korean-based Asiana Airlines. So it's not a "Japan" thing.

So, then, following the manual as best as I could, I tried to add one flight to RODN and it just won't work. I wish to do the following (I want to keep this very easy and simple so that if you can give me step-by-step instructions, I may be able to figure out the rest of what I want to do): [this is what I tried]

For RODN:

Create a single daily schedule of a World Airways MD-11 (tail number included which I was able to find and click on) to depart RODN daily at around 1800hrs. I was able to do everything with Editor and clicked on:

Create

Create all files and traffic

Then it appears to be transferring this info to FSX complete with an MS-DOS windows and all kinds of neat things happen, but then when I go to FSX and open RODN, it is still deserted. I also tried:

Create

Schedules, files traffic

but it was still deserted. I tried this with FSX running in the background and again with it not running and restarting it. Still no luck.

What am I doing wrong? The manual is vague and the screenshots don't match what I see on my screen? Do you possible have an updated manual? I have a feeling the instructions are for MyTraffic 5.0.

Okay...that's about it in a nutshell. Thanks sooooo much for your help and if anyone else has input, it's appreciated.

Domo Arigato

Hi Tom,

It's always hard to spot syntax errors in XML. I can't see a problem, but it's east to miss. I have attached my dll.xml for you to try. It only has the toolbox right now, but I like to walk before I run :wink:

Make a backup copy of your dll.xml and give it a try. Just place the file directly onto your computer rather than trying to edit, and saves the possibility of typing mistakes of which I make many.

Simon

Hi Tom.

You mention you have the dll.xml file in three places, but then only show two. ???

There is a third place, not mentioned that is where it should be.

On my system it is:

C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/Application Data/Microsoft/FSX/dll.xml

Thats where my program looks for it.

Seems like a really long way to go, but thats Microsoft's way of weeding out the casual users.

Bob F.

Gents...I got it to work! My Tool Box finally appears in my in-flight menu however I still can't get the "Add-on" choice to show up, so I'm not sure where to find that in the SDK so that I can create a path for that as well. The problem is that I've been fiddling around with the dll.xml files in my Flight Simulator folder which is not the right place, the real file is located in the %app...% folder. I still have three of the dll.xml but won't touch the other ones, only the one in the %app...% folder counts. Any ideas on the "Add-on" choice in the in-flight menu?

Does anyone have any answers for my MyTraffic Editor and not being able to get any of the flights that I schedule to appear at my RODN-Kadena Air Base, Okinawa, Japan airport? I have no administrative/operational control over MyTraffic Editor but all of the planes worldwide appear except at my Japan-based U.S. military bases. Like I said, ETAR-Ramstein Air Base Germany is full of military aircraft and even B747 cargo planes. Any ideas? I need step-by-step instructions on how to do this and what it takes to get the info sent over to FSX? The manual is vague...very vague. It does not give instructions in logical order...only in the order of frequently asked questions.

Help me...

Congratulations! This was my suspicion since some times, and I therefore insisted on that file path so oftenly.

The Addon menu comes if you install FSUIPC, or maybe also with other addons, but is not used by FSX itself.

On RODN, unless you have a new FSX airport, the Microsoft one isn't AI capable. But I have the Rxxx airports on my direct ahead list now, so I hope I can make an RODN over the weekend.

Thank you Burkhard...I guess that makes sense, at least I know I'm not doing things too wrong, but I'm still having some problems having my flight show up at ROAH which is Naha International Airport in Okinawa and it is AI capable because airliners are showing up quite beautifully. Can you give me some advise on how I can program a flight into MyTraffic Editor? Thank you...

I'm just in Okinawa, virtually. What do you understand as my flight? There are hundreds of reasons a flight does not show up, so we really have to know the details. Which aircraft type? is the first question - if as example you program a plane declared as military that requires military parkings into a civil airport, Microsoft's traffic databasebuilder will not accept this.