The simFlight Network Forums
Sign in to follow this  
starwarsodai

My Traffic X, support and models

hello,

I am looking to purchase this addon from a UK internet supplier (play.com), and I wanted to know whether I would receive full support (fixes, technical support, updates etc) from either Aerosoft or yourselves?

Secondly, does this addon supply ground traffic (airport vehicles) too? The default FSX stuff is awful...!

Also, do the aircraft in MT X work with fully animated models, such as deployable thrust reversers, flight control surfaces (including flaps and spoilers)? What about lights and engine sounds?

Finally, do they work with the new features at airports such as jet docks, baggage handlers, push back vehicles, fuel trucks etc?

Thankyou very much!

I trust Burkhard will correct me if I'm wrong:

1) Support is from Aerosoft normally when you buy from Aerosoft, otherwise here. However if play.com are now selling the boxed version too, Burkhard can advise us if there is a new arrangement.

2) No additional ground vehicles as far as I know.

3) Additional animation is included certain in the new (FSX SP1) models at least. For instance the 747 has both flaps and spoilers. No reverse thrust. There's a trade off between performance and beauty, and perhaps that would have slowed us down to much.

4) I have witnessed interaction between the FSX objects you describe and the new models.

Simon

Hi Starwarsodai,

Play.com is probably a Aerosoft distributor and support is then through Play.com and/or eventually Aerosoft. This is the support forum for the Simmarket and hence download version only.

As for scenery interaction and adding to Simon's words (thanks Simon), it's probably fair to state that MyTraffic X is the most advanced AI package. And hopefully will be for a while...

I - of course - recommend the download version, for example because the DVD will be obsolete fairly soon. ;-) Like this you get quick updates, open ears to wishes plus the friendly support. In particular if you have a broadband connection.

Hope this adds to thoughts and please feel free if you have further questions.

Kind regards

Jaap

Thanks. You always are entitled to the support from where you buy. If you buy at Simmarket, you get support here - if at aerosoft.com, from Aerosoft, from your local dealer it is your local dealer.

On the anmiations, the FSX specific models contain all animations that are supported by FSX.1 AI player for FSX format aircraft - these are gears, tires, flaps, spoilers, and animated doors ( up to the Dash 8 extending a ladder and a Cabin crew waiting downstairs ). In addition, fans turn through a little trick, this animation is broken in FSX normally. Ailerons, Rudder and thrust reverser animation are not exploited by FSX.1 AI player for FSX format aircraft - and therefore are not added.

Interplay with the ground is complete, getways dock to the doors, the cargo bays open on the FSX models when the luggage comes, etc...

In the current version 5.1, there are about 3000 paints, about 1000 of them are in FSX format, the rest in FS9 format. Compare this to Ultimate traffic, that has 700 paints, all in FS8 format. A free update 5.1a is under work, and you can see many of the features in some threads here, that will bring all the Airbusses (but the 380) plus the 747 to this new state.

Still than, MyTraffic will be always work in progress, once all important aircraft are redone I'm afraid we have to start again at least with ever more paints, and less frequent models - so there always will be a worst aircraft and a best one in such a huge package.

hello,

Continuing on this topic (I'd like to say thank you for your time so far BTW), will I be able to download free updates if I were to purchase the DVD version? How about if I purchased the download version?

Also, I am curious about the compatibility of MT X 5.1 with SP2 which is due to be released for FSX soon. Will it be fully compatible with FSX SP2, and DX10?

Thank you again for your help.

The support always is something that you get where you buy. Aerosoft may or may not put additional updates for registered costumors, if you do not register with Aerosoft you will only get support by play.com, that means no support at all. If you get the DVD, make sure it is the one containing version 5.1a, not 5.1, otherwise you have to start with a several 100 MB update first.

If you purchase here, than there will be free updates resp. very low cost new complete versions for you.

Concerning SP2 compatibility. The current version 5.1a is fully working with SP2 under DX9. Under DX10, you can use selected schedules that use DX10 capable aircraft only. Currently, out of the 150 aircraft models in MyTraffic 5.1a, about 40 have this state, and we can add several to this elusive class several months - but until all of them are done I expect another year to pass. This is not really a problem for us, none of the competitors ever had more models, and none of them has any DX10 compatible yet ). So MyTraffic X is ( the only addon containing objects currently ) DX10 capable, but not yet fully written in DX10 code.

hello,

Thanks for your reply!

Can you possibly post a list of the aircraft which are compatible with DX10? Traffic X will have 80 aircraft BTW. :D

So, if I purchase the DVD, will I simply not be allowed to download the updates from here?

BTW, I do not want to seem arrogant, but what do you mean by 'resp.'? :)

As example:

The first version for FSX was version 5.0 . This had two updates, each bringing new items, there were free. Than, version 5.1 appeared, with again significant new items, and this was distributed as a completely new program, and existing 5.0 costmumors got this new installer for 5€. This is what I mean with resp.

This forum and the downloads here are for simmarket costimors only. Every hour the forum is open, every post you make, and every file we keep and every byte we upload and you download we have to pay real money for - not to count our work here. The costumors of Simmarket pay for this service - like the costumors of Justflight pay for Justflight services and of Aerosoft for Aerosoft services and of play.com for play.com service. Whenever you make a purchase, you make a contract with the person of company you purchase from - and this is responsible to care for you.

The models that are DX10 in version 5.1a are all Airbus ( A300 to A380 ), Boeing 717,all 737 with more than 500 paints, all the MD80, Dash 8s, plus a few more. 5.1b will deliver the 747s and the 727s.

hello,

Thanks again for your time.

I have read in one of your posts that a fully DX10 compatible bit of software would be a completely new version, MT 6. Any ideas on when, if, it will be released? Do you think if people were to hold out for this version, that MT2006 (or whatever the last FS9 version was called) will be bundled, as it was with MTX 5.1?

EDIT: If I were to purchase from sim-market, would I be able to download all the updates which bring DX10 compatibility to MTX, for free?

I never publish release dates before something is done.

For sure, for costumors of Simmarket version 5.1 and 5.1a, the upcoming update 5.1b will be free and the next major relase will be very strongly rebated, but not be free - the last one we charged 5 €uro for something that had about 1000 hours of extra work in it, so about 50 cent per hundred hours of work.

hello,

I'm looking at purchasing MT now. Is the version on Sim-market the very latest? Is this one fully compatible with DX9 in FSX SP2 and Vista 64 bit?

What I don't understand is, what is to stop people with boxed aerosoft versions of MT coming on to the forum, and just downloading the updates as customers of the sim market version do?

Also, why is the download just as expensive as the boxed version?? I found the boxed version to be £18 (UK provider), whilst the download is 40 euros...

Thanks again!

Hi Starwarsodai,

Although the content is fairly much the same, the DVD and Simmarket version are two separate channels with separate forums, separate download servers, different upgrading policies and installers, etc.

Take the performance options for MTX v.5.1a in 'Jetways and Performance II' (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=67114) for example, we can only warrant that it works for sure with the download version (we have control over). It will likely work with the appropriate DVD-version as well, but wasn't tested against it.

As you know, the current version is MTX v.5.1a, the 'a' indicates it's an update to v.5.1 which was released mid year. So, some time next year, there will be a new 'number' which will lead to a upgrade fee. As always, existing customers get generous discounts.

Before that, however, there will be a v.5.1b as Burkhard described. Just consider, when you buy MTX now, it's jumping-in six months into a cycle. Staying upto date with My Traffic after the purchase, will be in the order of one Dollar to one Euro per month.

DVD prices fluctuate, sometimes old stock is cleared, this happened to somebody a couple of weeks ago. He bought a one year old DVD... Regular sales prices are normally more or less on par. The Simmarket download is the newest one - 100%.

Hope this answers your questions, kind regards

Jaap

Also, why is the download just as expensive as the boxed version?? I found the boxed version to be £18 (UK provider), whilst the download is 40 euros...

Would that be play.com, or similar? Hard to compete against an offshore company in a tax haven. I imagine the download version attracts VAT/Sales Tax or whatever it is called in the country of origin. It's an interesting area all this eBusiness. I can imagine one day HM customs coming after me because I paid for and downloaded something like Ultimate Terrain from the US, and demading VAT/Import Duty/Handling fees!

The official prizes of the DVD and the download are merely identical €39,99 for the DVD and €33 plus VAT for the download, so in Germany currently the download is €39,27. This is just a question of fairness of the two distribution channels, where the downlold channel adresses users who are actively using the internet for flightsimming stuff, so are eager for new updates, knowe how to use the forum, which is a group of less than 20000 people world wide, I assume you belong to this group, and the DVD channel adresses the costumors who purchase their software in a shop, which is the rest of the FSX costumors.

Infact, the costs to burn a DVD are about 0. In the boxed market, less than 5 percent of the costumors ever show up, so the support is rather cheap, 50% of your money or more remains with the shop where you buy. Here, more than 50% are reserved for the infrastructure and support, since we see about 95% of our costumors - so you see the cost structures are almost the same.

The last question: The access to updates here is exclusive, DVD costumors will not be able to downlaod since they do not have the Communicator and some more files are different that get checked.

@Simon: They do since march 2003. If you purchase a software abroad the EU and use it before filing the import VAT declaring and paying, you commit a crime, and typically get charged with 10 times the tax you have to charge, but €100 minimum plus some handling fees. This applies to downloads as well as boxes that you get by mail - indeed CDs that someone sends you from the US have a 90% chance here that you get them at the local tax office and not by mail, unless the tax papers are filled. It was a nightmare for some members of the beta team in Italy. Microsoft had declared the commercial value of the DVD sets as 1$ and paid the 19cent tax. But the tax agencies in Italy did not recognize this as valid, they checked the normal shop prizes of FSX, and some Italien beta testers had to pay the import tax relative to this value, refusal of delivery wasn't possible, and stopping Microsoft from sending the next version also wasn't possible.

I checked with play .com, they are UK based, so there is no tax problem. But

a) they are out of stock ( good news for me )

and

Quote:

Note: We are unable to provide technical support for any PC game we supply. Please ensure that the game will run on your computer before ordering as we cannot be responsible for incompatibilities with your system – see our Returns Policy for more details.

Under this condition we could supply for that prize too - software sold without support, warranty and return policy :roll: is nothing but shit even if it is my own work.

Maybe they've been driven out but last time I looked they were shipping from Jersey, Channel Islands, which is not quite UK based ;-). And hence items they sell (below a certain price) are not liable for Value Added Tax (17.5%) due to the independent laws that govern the islands. How much of that is passed on to the consumer I don't know, but certainly I buy virtually all DVDs and CDs from there.

So do you have a loptop to continue painting is you go to jail for professionally repeated crimes?

If by jail you mean christmas spent with the in-laws, then yes :lol:

The Jersey thing is a legal arrangement between the UK and channel Islands. All the boxes have official customs labels and pass quite happily. I've no idea of why, or the history, but you can imagine that mainland based sellers aren't too happy as they have to cut profit to compete.

Ridiculous laws. I can tell you that even at that prize the margain play.com has on the DVD is about 5 times of what I get per DVD, and I have to pay taxes from it, but that are the laws of the market...

hello,

Thanks guys for your help.

If I purchase from here, will I receive product support for life? Or is it only a specific length of time?

Also, is there a demo I can try out before purchase? I remember there was a similar offer for MT 2004 (or 2002?).

Just to make sure, will each aircraft/flight interact with ATC? For example, will I actually hear "caution the 757", or "traffic on the runway is an A340"? Will the voices actually be enabled for the different airlines etc? From what I understand, only voices for the fictional airlines in FSX were included. So will British Airways, Royal Jordanian, Air france etc etc be heard? We also get lights on each of the aircraft too don't we? :D

Thanks again!

Hi Starwarsodai,

You'll get support for the life-span of the product. We for example don't actively support MyTraffic for FS2002 any longer. You'll likely loose interest in the current version anyway sooner or later. ;-)

No, there's no demo.

More callsigns are added via an ATC sound update. The communication content itself is provided by MS. MyTraffic doesn't modify ATC communication in general. I've never heard the phrases you mentioned in default FSX for example. British Airways and the likes will be called by their proper regular callsigns. If there are a couple missing, we always appreciate feedback. ;-)

Again, hope this answers your questions, kind regards

Jaap

hello,

Thanks, yet again! Sorry, but I forgot to ask in my previous post about lights (night and day) and sound. Do we definetly get these on all aircraft in MTX?

About the support. If, say, 5 years from now, I needed support for MTX. Will I still get it? You say support is not given when most people are no longer interested in the product?

EDIT: Anyone know where I can get a paint list for MTX? I know there is one in the manual for the boxed version, but I can't find any lists on the net. And is this version (http://secure.simmarket.com/product_infts_id=2072) bundled with MT 2006 4.1?

Indeed there is a tiny demo, but containing 3 flights only you can get an imagination what to bexpect 100000 times more. It is the Airbus A380 flying WSSS-YSSY in the maidenflight schedule, and doing test flights between Toulouse and Hamburg. Just look for viewtopic.php?f=4&t=65515 . You will see the night lights, here the communication...

Many aircraft are made by now in this technique, the 747s just completed today . Some still are using an older technique, so are neither as brilliant as fast, but work as good.

5 years? We will have FS 12 by than, and while we may remember FS 11, FSX will be forgotten by than I'm sure. So if you ask 4 years I would say yes, but five is in the software industry as much 50 years in human life: two complete generations.

Hi Startwarsodai,

No, Burkhard is talking about new FSX SDK AI planes. ;-)

A list of included aircraft is below. That said, there should be more by now, the list is not totally upto date but nevertheless provides a good picture:

http://www.fsrail.com/MyTypes.htm

All the aircraft have sounds and lights, however, a couple of earlier FSX models need some updating again. The lights on the pre-FSX SP1 B737s for example, are a bit bland at the moment. These issues will be addressed in due course.

Kind regards

Jaap

This handful :lol: was about 1500 types in version 5.1a, and I didn't count but will be between 1800 and 2000 in 5.1b. The elder models also have full AI sounds, and lights, but no illuminated tail logos. Since a good fraction of these are military, this is not really too bad, just some airliners remain to be done.