The simFlight Network Forums
Burkhard

How many of you will purchase the Acceleration Package ?

Do you have or intend to get FSX Acceleration?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Acc Pack comes with some very nice new aircraft. So it might be interesting to try them as additional AI planes, the EH101 and the F18 really look impressive. So I'd like if AccPack is something you already have or consider, or if I should assume the majority doesn't have it.

I will wait for the "free" SP2 update... "Acceleration" costs way too much in the UK, though I may consider buying it on my next visit to the US.

£17.99 from play.com with free delivery is as good as I found, but with the dollar situation you can't beat US prices now! I think the Mustang looks very good too ;-)

Amazon US has Acceleration for $29.99. If you add on 17.5% for VAT that comes to $ 35.24. At the current exchange rate that's £ 17 so not far off the UK price.

Mine arrived this morning! In the small time I had to play (I'm DX9 only), i noticed:

- No particular silver bullets for performance for me. Still looking for Burkhard's 50% ;-). Having said that, I noticed my graphics card is running a little hotter now (like it did following SP1), so good news.

- All 3 aircraft are great, worth the price for that alone. The mustang is such fun, especially when the engine bursts into flames!

- The blurries are much reduced. I can fly VFR over photoscenery again.

- Indeed the black FS9 planes are now textured in the distance.

- Nothing very exciting in SimConnect. Lots of new stuff for helicopters and carrier operations, but bugs go unfixed. Still can't access the AI object type (protected), still get AI objects being created and then destroyed in the same microsecond. Some AI numbers still wrong ;-)

- 20fps is incredibly smooth, to me much more so than before. I am now very comfortable locking at 20.

Overall though goodness I think. Putting SP2 to one side, this is an excellent user aircraft addon.

Simon

- Nothing very exciting in SimConnect.

I think there is, for heavy SC users: you can now create SC connection based upon pipes instead of TCP/IP, much faster and saves add-on developers from lengthy explanations about why firewalls don't like your FSX add-on's :)

Daniel

Hi Daniel

Yes you are quite right about the SimConnect named pipes. Hopefully they might help out with requests like "send me details of all AI traffic, now". My assesment was really based on what I had not already heard on the rumour mill, so read it as "no last minute suprises in SimConnect. :wink:

My acceleration arrived yesterday and with the same settings bofore I installed it, I got no increase in fps. Feels like the fps dropped a little... So the SP2 did not help as I read on the phil taylor's blog that It should..

But on the upside, nice aircrafts and missions :)

I got an email today from Amazon saying that

"Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date"

Now they say I should have it either on the 3rd or the 5th November.

I might not.. For one, the product isnt available in India as yet. But even if it is, it doesnt fall into my category.. I fly heavy metal way above FL20. And I dont fly the missions.. So, I guess I can sleep over this and wait for the SP2. At the same time, if I get a lot of positive press about the product, I'll lay low a while and buy it when the rate drops (or when the rupee becomes stronger, which seems more likely :D )

--Vikram

......So, I guess I can sleep over this and wait for the SP2. .......

--Vikram

The acceleration pack includes the SP2 update. Acceleration pack itselfs only includes missions and new aircrafts, and I agree as you said that you only fly heavy metal...

I bought the acceleration pack (€35 expensive!) in the believes that the SP2 would increase the performance as Phil Tayler stated in his blog. But no increase... I feel tricked by the blog, that there would be a fps gain.

If I could, I would return the product...

But I don't want to be negative, if you are into new aircrafts (which are well done) and mission, the the acceleration pack would be satisfying. Performance, sorry...

FWIW I did notice an improvement in frame rates but more importantly a significant reduction in hesitation and blurries which makes FSX actually usable and enjoyable now. Pre Acceleration/SP2 was a very frustrating experience for me, I liked many of the changes from FS9 but found the overall sim experience in FSX unbearable, with SP1 only slightly improved.

Sorry to hear, on my old system it really boosted performance, with several benchmarks I had, from as example 17 to 23 fps , or from 7 to 10, but for sure it depends on the hardware, onthe addons and on your preferred settings. But if the aircraft and missions aren't your topic, Vikram, you can pass it. OK,what concerns me, in this case a few E101 or F18 not approaching an airbase wouldn't disturb your joy I assume.

I have already ordered the X-Pack and I will install it. I am running WIndows XP on a 3.2gig ht machine with a ATI AIW X800XT 256 graphics card and from what I can gather from the various fs forums older rigs like mine with DX9 are benifiting more from the X-Pack than newer configurations. I also updated my processor increasing my L2 cash size to 1024KB which really made a difference in my Dell 8300.

Gary

I found no improvement after installing acceleration unfortunately

From what I see on other forums the results you will achieve will vary a lot

My system is low / middle spec DX 9 only on WIn XP pro

P4 630 prescott 3.0ghz no o/c

1 gig ddr 400 memory dual channel

Gainward 7800 GS 512mb AGP card (no o/c)

I noticed no frame rate improvement

i did notice more blurries and strange tearing effect in photo scenery

nothing else really stands out after install.

on the plus the new planes are very nice and fun to fly

missions i dont really care about so havent looked at them

the new photo scenery areas seem ok but suffer the blurries

from what i have gathered from reading elsewhere the blurries with vfr scenery

will effect you if they also effected you after sp1

a clean fsx install for me without sp1 is crisp and sharp and suffers little blurries

sp1 caused a slightly more apparent blurries problem but the fixes were worth it.

sp2/acceleration increases the blurries further by sort of missing some texture tiles

so you get a sharp area with one or 2 small areas in it that get forgotten about unles you pause game for a while and let it catch up.

so there seems to be something still in need of fixing but its a tricky one for aces

as it affects some and not others and seems to have no bearing on systems or

settings.

I doubt though it will be fixed as aces have made it clear that fsx is "done" and

they are now moving on to the next version fs11.

personally i can recommend acceleration if only for the planes it adds which are

truly well done and put pretty much most payware i have seen to shame. This is how

planes should be done :)

EDIT. I dont mean to infer that MyTraffic planes should be done like this as they are totally

AI planes but other flyable addons should be done this way.

regards

ceedee

As I wrote, I got a good increase in frame rate on my old system, the only difference I see to yours is that that had 2 GB of RAM, a similar CPU and a lower GPU.

On my new system, an AMD 6000+, 2GB and a GF 8800GS, FSX with AccPack perfroms like silk, no blurries ( unless I slew with 2000 mph for a while ), no stutters, and using the new FSX schedules only I get frame rates always at limiter which I placed to 21, even at Frankfurt, New York, London.

Yes it does seem from the research I have done on other

forums etc that people report vastly different results

for sp2 / acceleration.

it seems hard to nail down because it doesnt reflect

systems specs or graphics cards, how much memory

or drivers etc etc etc

All i do know is that many people are reporting the same issue

with photo scenery as i get. maybe you dont see it with your

autocorrecting eyes but i do ;)

The more posts we get on this the better to maybe track down

the cause but even aces it seems are perplexed on this one.

ceedee

Do you have a picture or a link of the photo scenery effect. You know I added a bit to a leading edge photo project and we didn't see it yet.

Burkhard

Hi Burkhard

The images are large and i dont want to slow the thread down

http://www.leiawen.net/ceedee/FSX/SP2isart01.html

I made a little page(s) to show what i see. I captured the images just now on my sp2

set up. The first 4 are what i see in a fresh fsk without any sp's but i also get that in sp2

but only at the start of a flight.

I have notated them at the top the only 2 that may need extra info are the ones that ask you to save them. The web isnt quick enough so you need to save to disk then open those 2

in whatever image viewer you use and flick between the 2 images quickly.

you will see, i hope, the odd banding effect or as close as i can get with still images.

That doesnt really bother me too much as its rare but the post sp1/2 blurries i get are

pretty awful now so i may just roll back to a fresh fsx without acceleration or sp1

as then i get the lovely crispness of the first 4 images all the time.

note: i stayed in that view the whole time without switching anywhere else or to the cockpit

and was flying the acceleration mustang at 2000-3000 ft at a steady speed with no slewing or anything else.

whatever plane i fly the same effects happen.

turning settings up or down have no effect.

ive tried just about everything i can think of but nothing helps.

even put an extra gig of memory in and no change.

also during the blurries my fps stays at 20 without dipppping.

regards

Ceedee

Blurries are the enemy! May I ask, what resolution is your photoscenery, and if you pause your flight does the scenery become sharp fairly quickly?

Also, what is your hardware?

My initial impression was blurries are better with SP2, but I think I need to do more testing.

Simon

if you read above i have detailed my system and the webpage shows

screenshots and details of whats happening.

I repeat as this point often gets ignored

When i use a fresh fsx install without sp1 or 2 or acceleration i get no blurries

the odd one but it catches up in real time pretty quickly.

with sp1 and 2 i get the blurries on the webpage above

they never catch up and take 60 seconds sometimes on pause to fill in lod

the scenery is 1m resolution but it happens whatever resolution i try and also

happens with the default micosoft included photosceneries.

i run fsx on low settings really but if i turn it all down i get no change

strangley if i turn it all up i doesnt get any worse i just get stutters

and fps dips.

its got me baffled

Sorry, not drinking enough coffee again :wink:

My story is with FSX.0, never had any blurries with 1m/pixel photoscenery. However 30cm and 60cm would always blur, more so the faster you would go. With SP1, everything would blur. That's why I gave up and started looking at AI traffic instead :D

With SP2, I thought it was better but now I'm not so sure and will plan some longer testing.

On the hardware front I plan a quad core and an 8800GT upgrade when the price is right, which really means at least January at the moment. The other factor is my my entire FSX installation, photoscenery included, is one a RAID 0 WD Caviar setup. Now I see threads over on Avsim saying that RAID0 may be worse than single disks for FSX, so I am at the point of splitting it now.

Simon

So I see what you refer to. So it is an effect that scenery does only show a lower resolution than you wish it should do.

Is it only in observer mode, or is it also in cockpit?

Since your photo scenery misses autogen, such effects show up stronger, so on better products this might be less obvious to see. Will check tonight...

Autogen is not compatible with this scenery so it wont show

The scenery in my shots is Just Flights VFR UK scenery vol 1 & 2

there is a free demo of the shoreham area for anyone that wishes to try it out

it is really great looking and so accurate ( i have vfr flown from where i work

100 miles from where i live to my house just by looking at the scenery no gps etc.

you can even see my house :shock:

if only fsx could show it consistently under sp2 like it is under fsx.0

Edit: I have just found this thread at avsim which shows i am not alone :)

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=pic_page=1