The simFlight Network Forums
baksteen33

Jetways and Performance

Test Part 3:

Two tests were performed. First, I included all 80 aircraft.cfg tweaks and revisited KLAS at the dense scenery level (same as before). The result was another minimum sustained +3 fps increase over and above what I had reported earlier :-)

The second test was to revisit KJFK at a scenery level one higher than prevously tested - my new test scenery level was now very dense. Again, with all 80 aircraft.cfg tweaks and the scenery/jetway tweak in place my minimum sustained increase in fps was +0 as compared to the dense scenery level. In other words, I did not lose any fps from the previously mentioned +5 even though I was now flying at the very dense scenery level. Many more airport facilities were noticeable so it was a treat to move up and not lose any fps.

This test was neither scientific or complete but gave me a taste of what can be done given the two tweaks provided. Personally, I'm not one for moving jetways and baggage carts, so I'll be implementing ALL of the aircraft.cfg tweaks. The scenery tweak provided an opportunity to fly at the very dense scenery level without any loss in fps at the airport of my choice, which is a real positive benefit. More airport facilities visible at KJFK makes for a more enjoyable and realistic experience.

Thank you Burkhard and Jaap for these two tweaks.

@Jaap,

Interesting question regarding uniformity. If I look at EDDF, KJFK and KLAS comparing at the dense scenery level without Burkhard's tweak, I pretty much doubled my frame rate using ALL 80 of your aircraft.cfg tweaks at KLAS with about a 50% increase at the other two airports (KLAS faired better but it may be due to the large number of southwest b737-700s ;-)

My test for KLAS included 3 airport taxi and departures and one arrival from KLAX. My numbers were minimum sustained and very consistent. Previous to your tweak my minimum sustained using the outside view at .3 zoom was 7-8 fps at KLAS. Post tweak minimum sustained was 15-16 fps.

@hjm

This is very strange. Are you sure that you really are using the airport that you replaced, or maybe have another copy of this?

I fell into this trap myself with an interesting notice at EDDF - I found no difference. Next I completely deleted BR2_EDDF.bgl from MyTraffic\scenery - still no difference. Than I realized that I had completely forgotten that I agreed to have my airports used as basis of the VFR Germany 1 - a few taxiways and apron edges had been modified there to fit perfectly to the underlying photo. Life sometimes throws lemons...

Edit: SORRY!

I just now realized that KORD wasn't on the modified list, so the effect must be Zero. KMDW has to be added too..

@Burkhard

I added a new scenery title with your airports (highest priority)and renamed the KORD.BGL to KORD.passive in the MTX scenery folder. But normally the higher priority should be enough. I will check this more carefully tomorrow.

regards, harry

edit: just read your edit :wink:

@ Kagazi, very useful information again, thanks. It's a good picture of what is to be expected as far as I would dare to judge.

@ Harry, indeed, your results make lots of sense. You should have only seen a benefit with the modified aircraft.cfgs.

@ All, almost 10 people are testing or have tested the mods and I haven't heard any mentions about system stability issues or any other showstoppers - good news. I think we can leave the aircraft.cfgs alone now and concentrate on the final airport details. 5-10 'Very Dense' airports are pending (KORD and KLAX i.e.).

Thanks again for all your efforts, folks.

Kind regards

Jaap

Since the accelerated airports work fine, even the negative test worked, here are some more. I just added more of the bigger ones, some that I got asked to do, some that I discovered myself, some from a list compiled by Jaap.

http://www.fsrail.com/BR2_acc50.zip

contains the following 50 accelerated airports now:

CYVR,CYYZ,EBBR,EDDF,EDDM,EGKK,EGLL,EHAM,KATL,KBNA,KBOS,KCLT,KCVG,KDEN,KDFW,KDTW,KEWR,KFLL,KIAD,KIAH,KIND,KJFK,

KLAS,KLAX,KLGA,KMCO,KMEM,KMDW,KMIA,KMKE,KMSP,KORD,KPHL,KPHX,KPIT,KSEA,KSFO,KSLC,KSTL,LEMD,LFPG,LFPO,LIMC,LIRF,

LSZH,PHNL,RJAA,RJTT,VHHH,YSSY.

Some of these airports have good perfromance themselves, but overlap areas with others. Some more proposals are welcome.

Thanks a lot, Burkhard. Maybe KDCA and KBWI? Perhaps KOAK (or KSNA) as well?

Otherwise, I think there are more than enough possibilities to fine-tune MTX/FSX performance now.

Cheers and kind regards

Jaap

KOAK has very few jetways only, that is why I left it out.

The aim of this operation is:

Every user with a decent systems ( Athlon 5200 or above, Intel E6600 or above, GF88xx resp ATI 29xx ) should be able to fly at "very dense" everywhere.

Users with moderate system should be able to fly at "dense" everywhere.

It's awkward isn't it, we're talking about AI on mid-end systems and... FSX! :-)

And indeed, a.m. Washington airports should achieve what we wanted to achieve.

Cheers and kind regards

Jaap

Hi everybody, we're ready to wrap it up. Thanks a lot for all the feedback.

KBWI and KDCA have been added to the airports package by now, making it 52 airports in total. Any more?

If there aren't any further wishes, we'll zip the whole thing and upload it ASAP. We'll have to leave it 'manual' for MTX v.5.1a and FSX SP1, some further implications pending... ;-)

Cheers and kind regards

Jaap