The simFlight Network Forums
boing71234567

something weared and how do I become a painter ?

in the new structure there is a folder texture.blank, this is in 24bit bitmap format so you can easily use it.

When I make a paint, the first thing is to make a copy of it, called B752_t_DAL1.bmp as example. Than I paint that - and finally put it back into the correct folder, rename it again, convert it, add the correct model entry and off it goes.

I really recommend you to take a moment with the thread on the Cessna 120 to train yourself on the mechanics of doing so - and you can be sure it will be flying somewhere soon if you share that result with us - all you need is explained in thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=65564 .

No, that is a different plane, just a little exercise for me to train making propellor aircraft for FSX. I prefer to test new methods on smaller planes and to combine them on the larger more important ones only if they work. What is from the J3 are the flight characteristics of it.

ok i got all the way until i had to change it to dxbmp. how do you change it to that? i saved it into the textures-1 file as 24bmp and i got stuck.

can you help me?

thank you

Hi Boing,

To make your paint stick to the plane, you need to save the bitmap with DXT1 compression. I use imagetool as supplied with the FSX SDK for that purpose.

Regards

Simon

Hi Boing, 'imagetool' is part of the FSX SDKs. On DVD_1 of FSX Deluxe you'll see a SDK folder, install that to start.

Then, depending on the FSX version you're running, you must update the SDKs.

SDK SP1a (for FSX SP1) is here:

http://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/Pagepdate.aspx

For FSX SP2/XPack, install the file called sdk.msi from the Xpack DVD SDK subfolder.

Kind regards

Jaap

thank you baksteen33 that help a lot.

i just made the new delta liveries for a boeing 757. i know its not good but in that case in open to any sudgestion. (especally the american flag) :mrgreen:

post-25921-128689581484_thumb.jpg

Hmm, let's see here. :)

First thing is probably get paint.net. It's free from Microsoft, and it has many tools not in paint, and I personally wouldn't use paint for anything at all, even though Burkhard does... :wink:

Next, I must put in the most kind terms possible, but there is nothing salvageable from this current effort. I have to qualify this statement again by saying that I don't feel that anything but honest feedback will help you grow as a painter.

I don't want to discourage you at all, since painting is just a skill that anyone can learn well. Some tips for you to help get you on your way:

- Use material from real pictures, especially getting good color samples and good material.

- Observation is key to make sure you get all the details that should be present.

- I almost always use material from real pictures, and here with Delta there's just not much to pick from in the new livery, so it may not go easy for you. I use pictures to help decide where logos, stripes and artwork is placed. Liberally use the resize and stretch functions to find the right placement for art, then edit it as necessary. Stripes I usually hand-draw with a shape tool on a layer separate from the picture to get it placed correctly. Everything else gets edited liberally to make sure it's nice and clean, especially lettering.

-Keep practicing! :o

If I can help get a paint into shape for you, I will do so, but only if most of the work is done or if there is a difficult technique I can help with. I hope that you will keep going with this. 8)

Congrats for getting the start. This will come to a success I'm sure. Have you been able to view it meanwhile in FSX? Than you have the chain together to do things, and can start to look into details.

I myself would not dare to start with such a rather complex paint which is used very frequently - and must say my first paints were worse :lol: so I look forward to this with great optimism.

A good photo as example is under http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1298165 if you choose the large one. So maybe , once you have seen your paint, you continue by porting colors, the script etc over from the photo to the texture. There you will need a program that allows you to modify the parts that you take, improving colors, contrast, reseizing etc. I personally use IrfanView for this purpose.

as i was making it i was looking at that photo. and this is just my first painting. ill get much better and i was in kind of a rush. ill try to make another one today and see what you guys say. i just dont know how you get the tails to be like that? like so life like. i painted my tail on the plane. do you? and if you dont how do you get it to be so good? like for instance the fronteir airlines. how did he get the swans to be so good?

I can tell you how I do it, others do other, and it is a lot of experience needed to get it so good.

So let us make an easier exercise: From the above photo, how do we get the new shape tringale and the word DELTA onto the paint?

I put the photo into paint, than use the selection tool to select the triangle and the word, and paste it to a new window. First thing I do now is to manually clean it, if necessary, from any dirt. Than I copy and past it again into a program that allows to manpulate this little snipplet, as I said I use IrfanView currently. Here I maybe resize, if necessary, and than enhance colors, mainly the contrast, to get the white real white and the black real black. From there I paste and copy it back to paint, check it really is clean, and paste it to the right position in the texture. Just try this for the next version. The technique used for the tail is almost the same, but since we have to fit it in is already a bit more trial and error than the front part.

Therefore, I would recommend that you put the Delta at the side for a second than an try the Sun Express one first, http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1168679&size=L . That one is easier, and you can learn a lot on it already, and convert to the Delta later,

To add to what Ben and Burkhard have said,

When I work on plain colors (like the blue that is there in the Delta paint that u have), I usually find that a single color looks bland when ported.. So, when it is right, I usually use a mild color gradient into the colors.. That brings a little "life" into the colors (IMHO). I am not sure if Paint has that facility, though. Also, while posting ur pics, try to port the paints onto FSX and post that screenshot too.. I have found that some paints that dont look too good while painting, actually tend to look much better when ported!!!

My 4.5 cents :P

Vikram.

I

I put the photo into paint, than use the selection tool to select the triangle and the word, and paste it to a new window. ,

i dont get it? were is this select button on paint. all i see is select all. is it in file? edit?

post-25921-128689582087_thumb.jpg

OK, you are one step further. Next task is to clean the right side tail, so that only the emblem remains, and no dirt behind it, and no part of the heaven. I also have the suspicion it is a bit too small, but you can check that.

You are getting better and better. But, I would like you too use Paint.NET (freeware) or Photoshop etc.. Because the editing is much better with those programms.

They have more special options like anti-aliasing etc. Which is needed to get the edges smooth and fine.

Good luck!