The simFlight Network Forums
Burkhard

MyTraffic X installation not working - checklist

To speed up the process how we can give you help, here a checklist. If the information in here does not help you, please open a new topic per problem and refer to the code that we give here, do not reply to this topic so that we can keep the information together. Please go through this list in this order and report the first code, any further check only makes sense when the earlier ones are passed.

Problem description:

MyTraffic X has been installed, but you do not see the mass of AI aircraft that you would expect on the ground at major airports.

1. Please check again that the file "%appdata%/Microsoft/FSX/FSX.cfg" contains an entry

simobjectPaths.n= MyTraffic\aircraft

where n is the next free number, 6 most of the times. If you need more help, Problem code P1.

2. Open an explorer window and move to the MyTraffic folder, that you find in the main Folder of FSX, typically under c:\program files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X or wherever you installed FSX. In the following I will refer to this location as .

There should be a folder "aircraft" in here. Right click to this and select "Properties". The opening window should end with approx 35000 files and 9 GB. If not, code P2.

There should be a folder "scenery" too. Right click to this and select "Properties". The opening window should end with more than 2500 files and 260 MB. If not, code P3.

Last preparation, check the folder \scenery\world\scenery. There should be only two files in there that contain the name traffic:

trafficboats.bgl.

trafficAircraft.bgl.passive.

If not, code P4.

3. Now it is time to start FSX. Go to the scenery library dialog, and check that MyTraffic got added as scenery, and that it is active ( the box is checked). If not, code S1.

The traffic density sliders for airliner traffic and and General Aviation traffic both sit at 100%, and remain there when you get back to that dialog? If not, code P5.

Start a new free flight. As airport, select Ramstein Airbase ( ICAO: ETAR ). Can you select Military parkings now for you to start? If not, code S2.

Start this flight and look around. Are there military aircraft around you, mostly C130 Hercules, but also others? Than all is working in general, code GREEN, end of this list. You may still have a local problem on one airport or a regional problem, keep free to ask for help on these, but tell us that you are GREEN status from the check list.

No aircraft around you? Let us continue: Start a new free flight. As airport, select Egelsbach ( ICAO: EDFE ). Do you see a few small General Aviation aircraft now around you?

If you do, code T1.

If not, T2.

Solution P1.

You can use notepad or any other editor to edit FSX.cfg . If you have doubts, just zip your FSX.cfg, start a new topic here and attach it and we can have a look at it.

Solution P2:

Mostly likely the second part of the installation never took place. Browse to \MyTraffic and doubleclick to runonce.bat. Let it do its job, it will take a while and many windows will open and close again.

Solution P3:

Mostly likely the second part of the installation never took place. Browse to \MyTraffic and doubleclick to runonce.bat. Let it do its job, it will take a while and many windows will open and close again.

Solution P4:

If there is another file trafficAircraft.bgl, you may have applied a repair to FSX. Just delete this file, ore rename it to trafficAircraft.bgl.notused

If there is a file traffic.bgl, traffic1.bgl, this is a schedule in FS8 data format that prevents FSX from using FSX schedules, delete these files or move them back to you FS8 installation where they belong.

Solution S1.

If the folder MyTraffic exists, and a folder MyTraffic\scenery exist, but you cannot add it to the scenery library, there is a problem with user rights. Ask your system administrator to give you the necessary user rights.

• Upvote 1

Solution P5:

There is a problem with user rights. Ask your system administrator to give you the necessary user rights.

If he cannot help you, since this is a basic feature of FSX and has nothing to do with MyTraffic, it may be necessary to completely remove FSX and all the addons and to install everything from scracth again.

Solution S2:

Definitively there is a problem with the scenery library. In the all user profiles you find the scenery indices. If these are mixed up, deleting them only costs a few minutes at the next FSX start when they are rebuilt, and may help. If not, create a new topic with as many deatial as possible. It may also be that this situation is due to a hardware problem, like a disk error.

Solution T1:

Most likely the problem is with FSX.cfg. Check the order of the numbers again, check the spelling, check that it is from YOUR actual user profile, and not from another user, a defunct profile or the folder. Ask your system administrator for help on your profiles. Zip FSX.cfg from %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX, and no other one, and attach it to a new topic here.

Solution T2:

Rename the file scenery\world\scenery\trafficAircraft.bgl.passive back to trafficAircraft.bgl and restart FSX. If you don't see Soar, Orbit and Landmark now, than ther only known reason is a schedule in FS8 or FS9 data format somewhere. Some airport addons come with such schedules, locate them and delete them.

If the stock AI traffic displays, but MyTraffic does not still, this could indicate a hardware problem like a bad block on your disk in the MyTraffic folder. Rename the MyTraffic folder to MyTraffic51 and make a new MyTraffic install.

I have been unable to get 'My Traffic X' working so as to show AI aircraft in FSX, and have followed much of what has been said above. I cannot find where is the FSX.cfg file, however, and wondered if that might be the key to getting everything running properly. Please could anyone offer any ideas so I could see the extra aircraft I'm supposed to?

Many thanks for any help.

Stuart. :(

I forgot to give the details you require - OS Windows XP SP2; FSX SP1; Default location; My Traffic V.5.1a; I can't select a military parking slot in ETAR.

Thanks,

Stuart.

You find all the setting files of FSX in your user profile.

With version 5.1a, you still have to do it manually, in 5.1b you can use the Communicator to help you.

So from the start button press Run... .

A small window will open with one line. In this paste the following line:

%appdata%\Micosoft\FSX

press return and the window will open where you have FSX.cfg.

If ETAR has no military parking, than you didn't add the main MyTraffic folder MyTraffic as scenery. Just do so the normal way as you add any scenery.

Both FSX.cfg entry and the scenery config entry are mandatory to have it work. I only wonder how you got hold of the obsolete 5.1a version now, this isn't distributed since months any longer...

Thanks. I bought the My Traffic X from Amazon (UK) a couple of days ago.

I cannot find the simobjectPaths.n=MyTraffic\aircraft inthe FSX.cfg. I attach the zipped file for you to look at, and also another file from the folder, in the hope that a solution may be found.

I really am grateful for your time on this one, and hope you'll be able to tell me how to fix it!

Stuart.

fsx.zip

FSX_CFG_Before_MyTrafficX_was_installed.zip

The software you can purchase at Amazon is the Aerosaft product, which is supported under forum.aerosoft.com. This Simflight forum is for the Simmarket version only, which is technically different, but based on the same concepts and most of the same contents.

Nevertheless, indeed the line isn't missing. Please look carefully, you can find it near the end of the MAIN section, and the number is OK.

So, if you do not see AI traffic, please check that when you select ETAR as your starting airport, you can choose between military parkings. This verifies the scenery entry to be correct.

If this is correct, it is extremely likely that your problem is caused by a traffic bgl in FS8 format, which prevents FSX from using its own format. So please look for files called traffic.bgl or traffic1.bgl and delete them. There should be no other files containing traffic info than those in MyTraffic\scenery and trafficAircraft.bg.passive in scenery\world\scenery.

I tried to get this to you earlier, but it isn't in the listing this morning, so here goes again! I actually bought the My Traffic X from Amazon U.K. just a few days ago, but I don't know why it isn't the latest version.

I attach a couple of files for you to look at, in the hope that they might give a clue as to why the traffic isn't appearing.

Many thanks for your time with all this.

Stuart.

fsx.zip

FSX_CFG_Before_MyTrafficX_was_installed.zip

Hello,

I have installed MTX about 3 times and it simply does not work.

I have upgrade it to 5.1B and I am using windows vista ultimate 32 bits and FSX SP1.

I can see the military aircraft in the airport parking in Germany as it is asked and I have revised my FSX.cfg file many times but still I see no aircrafts or no tool menu.

Appreciate some help.

Marcelo

The tools menu is not a part of MyTraffic, but of FSX SDK, so let us put that apart.

So, you already told us you do see the military parkings at ETAR, which is one of the checks that the scenery is used. Please verify that in the folder MyTraffic\scenery, you have around 160MB of files, not only 20MB, and these 140MB are the large file MyTrafficCommercial.bgl, MyTrafficmil.bgl and MyTrafficglobal.bgl. Some Vista setups with insufficient user rights don't allow these files to be created, so please check they are there.

If they are there, please check the traffic at EDFE . Do you see some small GA aircraft parked there, or none?

If you see them, this indicates a problem in FSX.cfg. If they aren't, up to now in all case the reason was a traffic bgl in FS8 format, installed by another AI package or an addon airport. Fortunately, most traffic bgls arer called traffic.bgl, traffic1.bgl or similar, so using a search might show them rather quickly. With FS8 format schedules installed, FSX does not show its own format.

Hi,

If they are there, please check the traffic at EDFE . Do you see some small GA aircraft parked there, or none?

Yes, I can see 02 small airplanes. What is GA?

If you see them, this indicates a problem in FSX.cfg. If they aren't, up to now in all case the reason was a traffic bgl in FS8 format, installed by another AI package or an addon airport. Fortunately, most traffic bgls arer called traffic.bgl, traffic1.bgl or similar, so using a search might show them rather quickly. With FS8 format schedules installed, FSX does not show its own format.Burkhard

Product Support

Didnt understand, so what should I do?

Marcelo

GA stands for General aviation. So you do see two small planes. Please set the AI traffic density sliders for airliners (IFR) and for Genral aviation (VFR) to 100% both.

1)There still are only two small aircraft at EDFE? Or are there 6 to 10 now.

Next check nearby EDDF.

2)This is completely empty, or busy with lots of Lufthansa?

If the answer to 1) is 6-10, and 2) EDDF is empty , than the problem still is with FSX.cfg. Use the MyTraffic Communicator to view FSX.cfg and verify this is the same as the one you changed - there can easily be several versions of this file, and if you modified the wrong one it will not help.

In any other case, please desrcibe what you see at EDFE and EDDF. There are many addons out there, World of AI, Project AI, Ultimate traffic, and many addon airports, which contain AI traffic schedules in the format used by FS8. Even when you unistall them, in most cases the schedules remain. If FSX finds a schedule in this old format, it switches into a backward compatibility mode to display them - and cannot display its own data format. In this case, you have to find these files and to delete them. The first place to look is scenery\world\scenery - if there is a file traffic.bgl or traffic1.bgl you have found the culprit.

That file looks fine. If it is the one used by FSX in the user profile, and not the one from the FSX main directory, than that is checked. Compare that MyTraffic Communicator shows the same entry to be sure.

You did not verify yet that MyTraffic\scenery contains the large schedule bgls... For completeness of the problem analysis.