The simFlight Network Forums

Feel free to remove this if it is too off topic... I have placed it here since the inspiration for it came from the performance/DX10 discussions on this board.

I have created a small utility that will check all the models in your Flight Sim install and report what percentage is FS8, FS9 or FSX.

You must have the .Net Framework installed for it to work. Click 'Browse' and select your FS folder. Then click 'Analyze' and wait wait wait several minutes. This way I found out that there are 2 FS8 models in FSX, among them is the Fuel Truck.

The program is here:

http://www.supercell.nl/specials/ModelChecker.zip

Daniel

I did a quick test by changing the MDL8MDLH to MDL9MDLH in a file and then it is reported as a FS9 model. Yet, while trying to find a MDL9 on avsim... I only found MDL8's though in two flavours: compiled with the 2002 SDK and compiled using the FS9 SDK.

Edit: I have uploaded a new version, that for the MDL8 files, will check if it can find the SDK version that was used. The FSX Fuel truck turns out to be compiled using the FSX SDK after all.

Daniel

Thanks, yes, that works, So I still have 17 FS8 mdls in MyTraffic, wasn't aware of them ( but the Russians) . So, to make the program still more useful, could you add a check box "display file name" and display, when checked, the names of the files?

What do you consider to be a FS9 model? For me a model compiled with FS8 SDK is an FS8 model, and with FS9 SDK is an FS9 model, or do you have other criteria?

I was looking at the header: MDL8MDLH, but so far I have not found any MDL9MDLH files other then some vague ones embedded in a BGL I found on the web. I will rephrase the output from the program a little and leave that interpretation to the user.

I will add an option to skip checking inside bgl's and also and option to create logfiles containing the filenames.

Daniel

Don't you check the MyTraffic folder? It may well be that I was the only aircraft designer who used FS9 SDK ever, most other designers continued with FS8 SDK due to the large effort needed for what they considered too little a gain, and the fact that many things needed to be done manually. I went through it after longer measurements of code performance - and the fact that MyTraffic for FS9 performs so much better than the competition came to a good part from this.