The simFlight Network Forums
Burkhard

The official paint school for everybody!

We want to paint the Sun Express Boeing 757-200 . The blank textures for the 757-200 are contained in the 752 package at the beginning of thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66189 .

OK, here is the first lesson for today.

Go to airliners.net and search the best suited picture for the Sun Express 757. Good light, no shadows, nor reflections, sharp, big, exactly from 90 degrees, so no perspective, and post the link that you find here.

Others, if they want to join: Searching the best image is one of the most important jobs of this hobby. You can safe lots of work by doing this carefully.

The SunExpress font looks very much like Arial to me, so I'd suggest a cheat and try doing it as text in paint.net.

e.g. See picture. A completely different paint and the blue is the wrong shade, but you get the idea. If the font is a good match, this can save you a tonne of cleanup time on the image.

post-22939-128689585298_thumb.jpg

1242989.jpg has a not so nice reflection on parts of the tail logo, but flag, titles and the log below the cockpit are OK.

1222322.jpg gives a very good contrast for the tail logo.

1199471.jpg might give an indication of the true color of the winglets, on the other ones the winglets put shadow on themselves.

0961165.jpg is ver sharp, but the aircraft wasn't washed for a while.

0896978.jpg the rudder position orevents usage of the tail logo.

So I propose you use 1222322.jpg for the tail logo and 1242989.jpg for the rest.

Let us start with the tail. Open the photo in paint, and copy the tail logo from it into a blank area of the texture ( MS Paint ) or into an empty layer ( paint.net ). Still we have to clean it - and to resize.

So the first thing I do is to remove all dirt around it with pencil, brush, rubber. Than I select the cleaned log, and transfer it to IrfanView4.0 by copy and paste. Here, under Images, slightly increase the contrast ( enhance colors, maybe +30 points ), than resize (new size 130% ), enhance contrast again by +50, and now copy and paste this over to the tail section - it should fit.

Now of course I would be happy to know which resizing tools others use.

For this tail, which is simple shapes, I'd suggest another approach worth considering. I would choose a solid colour to match the deep blue on the tail, and then use the photo to provide a template for where the shapes are. Then using my line and circle tools, I would draw over the "template" in a new layer. The nice thing about that is I can change the thickness of the lines after they are in position, and I get very nice anti-aliasing between surfaces. Then when I am happy with the lineup, I simply duplicate the layer, "flip vertical", and I have the other side of the tail for free.

This does not work all the time of course, the more complex the logo the more likely I am to edit as Burkhard suggests.

As with many things in life, there's more than one way to get things done :-)

Otherwise, for resizing and contrast editing I use Paint.net. Generally I try not to make things bigger as they don't look too good - very blurry. Maybe other tools are better in this respect.

Simon

I also tried many tools - Irfan View is really great in that, since it is a freeware implemetation of some rather advanced techniques.

As a teacher I have to be hard :lol: I know there are paints in MyTraffic that are worse :oops:

Not yet. First, the overall aircraft is too dark. These are really white. I know why you made it, you wanted to use the logos as you got them, so didn't clean them and made the rest darker :)

But in this excercise we want to get it really white!

In addition, the tail logo is too small. And the gray of the belly is missing. So go back and make a next try, on a pure white plane.

One comment on flags. Usually I will do an internet search and you will find plenty of "pure graphics", so no cleanup required. Then just shrink it down to the size you need. No distortions to worry about either. Sometimes that works for other logos on the aircraft too, particularly cargo operators.

I have a font style for the Boeing 7xx-xxx text. Looks like real and a little better than the plain arial...

If anyone wants it, tell me :)

And I strongly suggest Paint.NET or Photoshop or similair. NOT MSPAINT!!

As a teacher I have to be hard :lol: I know there are paints in MyTraffic that are worse :oops:

Not yet. First, the overall aircraft is too dark. These are really white. I know why you made it, you wanted to use the logos as you got them, so didn't clean them and made the rest darker :)

But in this excercise we want to get it really white!

In addition, the tail logo is too small. And the gray of the belly is missing. So go back and make a next try, on a pure white plane.

i hope i dont get a detension :roll:

i just made a new one and i think you will like it! but one quesiton.

1: how do you paint in the windlets because every time i click on them to make them navy the whole picture get navy, but that didnt happen on MS PAINT.

post-25921-128689585609_thumb.jpg

So, again the ugly teacher.

It is far better now. What I'm still not contempt with is the size of the tail logo, I know it is hard, but this is a school and school is the hardest place you have in life I hope for you :lol:

So please, try to make the tail log bigger. You will need this technique for more complex paints later, so better learn it now in this more simple case.

Much more is needed on the AV8.

The tail logo 8 fills the complete tail, that is why an edge of the 8 is missing. The AV8 fills the hole space between the front doors. The .com tiletls are more to the back of the aircraft, should not be tilted, and on the picture I saw are smaller.

No worry, you will get there, just the way is a stiff one at some places. Ben, Simon, Mikael and others have put the quality standards very high, but I'm sure you also will invest your time into perfect high quality, mid range stuff you can find tons on the internet and competing products.

Still I would wish it a few percent bigger, but it is acceptable. First lesson learned. Did you get Irfan View and experiment with it? Strongly recommended for all grafics work.

Since you have chosen AV8, continue on that one. Now the 8 in the tail has to get much bigger.

Still I would wish it a few percent bigger, but it is acceptable. First lesson learned. Did you get Irfan View and experiment with it? Strongly recommended for all grafics work.

Since you have chosen AV8, continue on that one. Now the 8 in the tail has to get much bigger.

av8 is gone. i forgot to save it. im sorry. and were do i get infraview?