The simFlight Network Forums
Burkhard

The official paint school for everybody!

I use Irfan View always in the following mode:

I start it, than copy-paste the fragments into it, modify them there and copy-paste them back. The three functions I mainly use are:

-the fine rotation, so that logos and titles, if coming from a photo, can be absolutely linera to a tenth of a degree

-the resize tool to adjust the size of abjects, typical from a.net photos to my textures a 20% increase is needed, but this varies.

-the enhance colors to increase the contrast and modify the colors to optiomally fit.

So use this to increase the SunExpress logo, than we can consider that as done, and make a nice AV8 next.

how would i do this? the picture i have below the problem has windows. and the blank airplane has windows right were i have to put it. should i put the logo over the windows? how would i do that?

post-25921-128689586112_thumb.jpg

Sorry, no lesson, school was burning, now we have holidays.

This is indeed a bit tricky, since the models windows may not exactly match the photo windows, and you shouldn't move any windows since this breaks the night illumination ( unless lessen 756...)

So what I do is using pencil or bruch paint the titles at that location where there are windows on the photo, as if it where a freighter without windows. Than I apply this, and next apply the complete base texture over it, covering the titles from photo and painting with fitting windows.

So with larger big titles behind a window, this may be an hour's job to get the titles properly.

wait so i take pencil or brush and color over the windows on the logo so it is like a freighter. then you paint or brush it so there are no white patches after we took the winows out. and then we put the logo on the plane? im not sure if that was right but im confident it was!

Yes, and than in transparent mode we put a copy of the plane again over everything - just precision to a pixel is needed for this action.

If the size is OK, you can move an. Once the models windows are over it, you can check again if no relict of the old remains. resp remove them carefully.

Open the blank textur in another window, and in transparent mode put this now over what you have. ( You can also take the other side, copy and paste, mirror and put to the correct location.

w I'm already almost off, school is closing :lol: , it is the other way round, Take a complete side, and paste it ovet what you have above the last one, so that there are windows above the AV8 title.

No, other way round. Paste the windows over the placed logo, so that the windows appera on top of it. That is where Simon and Mikael are using layers for I assume.

@Burkhard

Yes that's one reason for the layers and aswell as deleting and move different parts of the paint process etc...

@Boing

What Burkhard means (I hope) is that you have a separate layer for the windows (without the white background colour. Only the window pixels are showing.

And put them over the airline logo.

The window pixels should always be over anything else, just as in real life (see the paint thread so you see what I mean).

Quality and perfection are needed for the FSX paints since the resolution is much higher than on the old paints. 512x512 to 1024x1024.

You are doing fine, it's just takes time to learn. And I promise you, I was not very good at the beginning (been painting since october this year) but practice makes perfect.

One last tip: I often zoom in so I can see every pixels, that helps me with the final touch of a painting or a specific part nedded to fit with the others.

Good luck!

oh i think i get it. you take the windows and put it over the logo on the plane and then paint it or brush it so that the logo has no white spots from the pating the windows? i think that is right. it sounds right :D

oh i think i get it. you take the windows and put it over the logo on the plane and then paint it or brush it so that the logo has no white spots from the pating the windows? i think that is right. it sounds right :D

Correct! Then you have clean pixels and the logo is not covering up the windows pixels.

There shouldn't be any white pixels from the windows if you apply them as transparent, so the pure white behind the windows is interpreted as transparent and not as white - hope not to mix things up again...

here can you walk me through it step by step? for instance

1. open paint.net

2. click this

3. copy this

4. paste this

5. paint this

6. etc

thank you

also how can we/when can we post the sun express? if we are then can you help me? its all done but i need help saving it and making it a download for this website

in your next post can you answer the last quesiton from the last post and this question.

thank you,

boing71234567

Send me a private message and include the bmp of the aircraft and I can talk a look at it. Or upload it here in this topic as an attachment.

Remember to put it in a rar/zip file. Because of the big bmp size.

Sorry, paint.net is beyond my intellectual scope - I made some starts on it and always had to throw away everything because it looked completely messed up, so please those of you who have these skills to think in layers, help us to get windows over the titles.

On posting the completed bitmap, just zip it to a file with a meaningful name, and add it as an attachment here.