The simFlight Network Forums
Burkhard

The official paint school for everybody!

Well, now I managed to do so with paint.net. Maybe it is a complicated way. I have the painted Logo in one layer. I import tha blank texture as a second layer. Using the magic stick, I managed to get the background of it transparent, and all is well.

Logos in layers and paint.net. Usually the windows in the logos don't match up with the MTX base texture, so usually I:

1. Remove the photo windows, and hand draw the missing parts of the logo. Here's where the internet can help sometimes in finding alternate sources for logos, e.g. on airline web sites. Often they are too small, but sometimes you get lucky.

2. Position the logo in a new layer.

3. Do everything else needed in the paint.

4. Load it into FSX and see how it looks. Make adjustments as necessary

5. Drill holes for the windows in the logo layer, or copy the necessary windows into another new layer on top of the logo layer

would you like to go back to the sun express? mikael1984 were just PM ing each other and he he showed me what was bad with the sun express. anyway it is perfect and i owuld like to upload it :D can you help me?

wait i minute i need to ask you a question :evil: how does this look to you? :lol: i firgured out how to do it. i copied 1 window and put the windows over the logo were they are supposed to be. :D but it is far from done so do you want to finish the sun express and then come back to this so we can focis on 1 thing.

thank you,

boing71234567

post-25921-128689589335_thumb.jpg

You come further. It looks though that the logo is too high, since the manual changes are well visible and far above the windows. Application of the windows over the logos is simple step if you do it as a transparent overlay, and all the windows can be sized and placed exactly as in teh paint kit - this is important for the night lights.

OK, just zip the Sun express and attach the file here.

ok. im in new york right now so i dont have fsx. i can still go on oyur website but i cant do anything that revolves with fsx. ill be back on my computer tomorrow and ill be all ready to work on it.

thank you,

boing71234567

oh and for the future how would i put an aircraft i just made into fsx? if you can, can you give me the steps to do it so you or mikael dont have to in the future :D

thank you,

boing71234567

Hi,

I was wondering how the repainting is done.

What program to you use to repaint acft.

Can one just load exisiting textures of an aircraft that will not display it's liveries with DX10 and convrt them.

If yes, what does one convert them to?

I'm not talking about any copyrighted afct, just some free ones I got and one in particlar I would love to get showing again in DX10 preview, as it is a Warrior P161, which is what I fly in real life most of the time.

TIA

Phil

Hi Phil,

For DX10, I understand the issue is with the models rather than the textures. The models must be authored with the FSX SDK, so to convert a model you would need, most likely, the GMax source. Then you have to see if the model works out OK, or collapses and has to be done again from scratch. Doing aircraft models is a specialized and time consuming skill, and I'm only aware of Burkhard in our community having those.

Regards

Simon

Boing,

For your SunExpress, well done. My comment would be the "SunExpress" on one side looks a slightly different size to the other. Did you use an individual photo for each side? Usually it is easier to prepare the text for one side, then simply duplicate it for the other (e.g. cut and paste). That way you get consistent size and colour balance.

Regards

Simon

Yes, Simon is right.

The DXT issue has nothing to do with textures, but with a completely changed mdl format. FSX DX10 does not understand the legacy format.

Having the GMAX sources is not really all you need. Even at source level the aircraft have to be very different for FSX compared to FS9, so unless David R. spends the next year day and night to remake his models 80% from scratch for the tiny FSX DX10 community, there is no hope for the legacy models.

Boing,

For your SunExpress, well done. My comment would be the "SunExpress" on one side looks a slightly different size to the other. Did you use an individual photo for each side? Usually it is easier to prepare the text for one side, then simply duplicate it for the other (e.g. cut and paste). That way you get consistent size and colour balance.

Regards

Simon

hey,

when the sun express had to be turned white i had to make it bigger. and then shrink it back to size. (now i know there is zoom) thats why it may be off a few degrees. when i come home i will fix that then post a fresh new zipped png copy.

thank you,

boing71234567

Thanks for not asking, I'm very busy with getting the pieces for version 5.1b together, now there is a long list with details, like more than 100 airports that have to be modified for the new 747s and the many new airlines, so I'm afraid I cannot look into 757s now at all the next days.

Hi Phil,

For DX10, I understand the issue is with the models rather than the textures. The models must be authored with the FSX SDK, so to convert a model you would need, most likely, the GMax source. Then you have to see if the model works out OK, or collapses and has to be done again from scratch. Doing aircraft models is a specialized and time consuming skill, and I'm only aware of Burkhard in our community having those.

Regards

Simon

Hi Simon, thanks for reply, kind of thought it would not be as easy as converting textures.

I did try my hand a Gmax a couple of years ago, but your right, very time consuming, even more so than scenery designing, which I did do an airport for F9. Never totally got it good enough to upload anywhere for others to use, as never found the time with real flying and being self employed etc.

I'll leave it to the experts!

Happy New year

Phil

Hi Phil,

yes I recall trying to model my house in Gmax and quickly gave up! As far as the MyTraffic models are concerned, sometimes they work out really well like the 777 has and the textures can be converted and updated where necessary, but other times it has to be redone from the start like the 747.

Regards

Simon

@burkhard.

tell me if the sun express is an ok or a no k. if you can, can you get the picture? im just saying if you want. no hart feelings if you cant. mikael is helping me. but im trying to find the sdk file? any ideas? i think this is it.

post-25921-128689590785_thumb.jpg

SDK stands for Software Development Kits - it is an addon to many programs that allow some add ons or modifications. Here we refer to the FSX SDK, which you can find on the FSX DVD, can install it and update to the correct version tha, depending on what FSX version ( service pack ) you have installed.

On the Sun Express:

I made the following trick for the moment that all painters are doing: I just replaced the texture of a model that is in MyTraffic and easy to find by this new texture, in this case Continental - so you can see lots of Sun Express at Newark as example. I made one change to the paint only, I moved the titles on the side lower. If they are too high, they get strongly distorted due to the planar projection. Than it looks like the attachment.

Addition under Sun Express schedules is something to be done later, and requires several steps I have to do before we can release this, and am just doing it for the 747s now.

post-148-128689591176_thumb.jpg

Looking at the picture again, I see that the gray on the belly needs to be adjusted. The master textures fit exactly if you adjust from the top.

I attach, only for you, a version of the 757 containg the new 757 models, with very few paints on the new ones alread, and Continental using the SXS paint, so you can look yourself. Also, you can easily exchange it by modofied paints and convince yourself now.

Just delete your 752MX folder and replace it by the one that you find under http://www.fsrail.com/B752MX.zip . Note that maybe some other paints are mixed up in this, so this is really dirty from the workshop and not intended for release.