The simFlight Network Forums
Burkhard

The official paint school for everybody!

@Boing,

Thank you for the new paints. I was just curios, because I thought I could see compression artifacts in them. Has the .bmp been converted into DXT1 and then converted back to BMP?

Simon

Well you won't ruin the thread as long as you paint the airlines that no one have done and stick to the spreadsheet, possible add another you see don't exist, then its no problem at all. Help is always accepted!

On Eritraen, I think the tail logo would benefit from a little more editing. The colours look OK, but the pixels in the white borders look rough. If it were me, I draw over those with white lines and curves to make them look neat. However, first I'd want to be sure I had not injected compression artifacts into the bitmap.

if you download one of them you can see and check.oh and if you want to see star alliance i just posted it. ill get right on that. :D

thank you for pointing that out!,

boing71234567

You need to fix "BOEING 757" text too. Using arial fonts is unconvincing, you either need an image, or download and use the real Boeing true type font. Then it appears as a font in paint(.net). It looks the part, and I use it all the time. I think using the font saves a lot of time and produces the best result. Note the "BOEING" and "757" are often different point settings, and use very very dark grey, not black.

@boing

I just went through the lists and saw that most 757 paints actually needed for MyTraffic arer already done resp. under work ( and those under work are the most difficult ones )

There is a small group of 757 paints in MyTraffic not covered by Mikael and Simon, these are the following airlines:

LTU

Condor (old)

Air Holland

Transavia

Air Transat

LTE

Dutchbird

Trans-Meridian

If you could do these, this would be a bigt advantage, because we would not have to create an extra MTM model for it - and some of them are not too difficult to do. So, if you could just attack this list, this would warrant you do not come into conflict with what Mikael and Simon are doing, could get the necessary training on real paints and I warrant they are of use :lol:

Thanks Burkhard

But get your neck better first, that is of bigger importance!

I'm sure you can do them. It is just that some can be done in an hour if you are trained, and others need 20 or more hours - Mikael will have spent a dozen hours at least on the AWE.

To give you some perspective, First Choice took about 4-5 hours. I had a pretty good head start with the "First Choice" text and logo, as I found a really good non photo source for that. No cleanup required, just a case of right sizing. The body curves, I stretched a picture of the airline into the texture outline, to use as a guide for where the curves should be. Then I hand drew each on one side, and duplicated layers to get the other. The joins between the colors needed some manual editing of pixels to keep the angle of slope consistent. The tail needed a lot of work, and i ended up drawing curves around the edges and filling each "petal" with colour to get the best effect. The simplest piece was "falconholidays.com", just an arial font. Nice that some airlines use TrueType :-)

When I was in your position Boing, I remember the Air New Zealand 747-400 took a solid weekend of work. That was my first serious challenge with curves and image cleaning. It went through several iterations, with Baddog in particular making a lot of helpful comments on how I could improve. So keep on it, you will get there, and make sure each looks as best as it can before moving onto the next.

Simon, I could not have said it better myself. With easy paints, it does not take long time. But there are some quite difficult airlines left on the 757's. Time and perfection will make it good, I am sure.

@Burkhard

Since I could not take so much of a shortcut it took me 7-8 hours of work. But I think the result speaks for itself.

@Boing

No you have your own list you could take the time and learn the skills. They will turn out good. Good luck!

thank you. im taking your advise and making sure everything is perfect. ive been working on LTE for about 3 hours. just have to change i more thing. feel free to work on some of these. just tell me so we dont make the same thing. im working on LTE right now and LTU later so you can do anything except those. just tell me.

thank you,

boing71234567

@Boing, good work may i give you some more ideas on LTE? I did a little work on your tail logo, "LTE", to clean it up:

Screenshot 3 shows our starting point, a lot of dirty dark pixels around the letters.

Screenshot 4, I have painted over them a pixel or so at a time with the regular orange, while still retaining the shape and proportions of the letters.

Screenshot 5, now I have filled the white areas with pure white, so they look clean, and turned any very dark pixels contained with the shape of each letter to white as well.

Screenshot 6: While not so important on straight edges, I have added a light anti-alias between the white and orange edges.

And screenshot 7 shows the finished result. Now you may not notice it so much when you are zoomed out, but we really must aim to get the uncompressed bitmap in as good a state as we possibly can. DXT1 compression will inevitably take the sharpness away to an extent. However FSX compensates with its great lighting effects, which is one of the reasons I try to use solid colours as much as possible.

Hope this helps, other's may have different techniques :-)

Some other things:

- see if you can find a better source for LTE on the fuselage. it looks rather blurred.

- same for the Spanish flag. Try finding a pure artwork graphic of the flag on Google and see how that looks.

- The engines have an Rolls Royce logo "RR"

- The tail leading edge has a silver/metal stripe.

post-22939-128689593557_thumb.jpg

post-22939-128689593566_thumb.jpg

post-22939-128689593576_thumb.jpg

post-22939-128689593584_thumb.jpg

post-22939-128689593594_thumb.jpg

Great, and I'm sure you spotted a couple of mistakes I made:

1) Missed out one line of anti-alias around the bottom left bar of "T".

2) The gap between the "E" horizonal bars is now different, changing the way the "E" looks. That's quite obvious, so you should rebalance it and make them equal on yours, just like the original. That's were you need to be careful, not too change the original shape of the image you are working on if you can help it.

Looking forward to seeing your changes!

Simon