The simFlight Network Forums

Wide FS Question?

What does the red text mean in lay speak Pete?

15507 IPX/SPX socket() failed [Error=10047] Address family not supported by protocol family

15507 Failed to start IPX/SPX Server

It means that the Server couldn't initialise the IPX/SPX protocol (as seems to be pretty explicit from the text in those lines to me). This will be simply because you didn't install it (it has been optional in Windows since XP came out). It doesn't matter unless you want to use it. If you want to use it you have to install it. If you don't, then don't.

WideServer supports three protocols simultaneously. The choice can be made independently by each connecting Client. The protocols are TCP (defalut), UDP and SPX. The documentation does explain all this, and the pros and cons of each.

Unless you know what you are doing I'd stick to TCP if I were you. It's the protocol used by most things. UDP can be faster but it is less reliable. SPX used to be much faster, but it is more difficult to get right.

Regards

Pete

FS9 now connecting fine to WideFS, but FSX and WideFS just aren't friends in my house.

I'm off tonight, not back on-line till New Year's Eve, probably. If you can do it today and get it to me pronto, let me see if I can find anything in the detailed debugging logs.

Do this please:

Edit WideClient.INI, change "Log=Errors+" to "Log=Debugall".

Edit FSUIPC4.INI. Find the [WideServer] section and do the same (or add the line if it isn't there).

Run FSX just long enough to prove the problem. No longer or the logs get too big. Close FSX.

ZIP up the WideClient log, the WideServer log and, for good measure, the FSUIPC4.log. Send to petedowson@btconnect.com. If I get them in time, today, I'll try to get you an answer -- assuming I can find one.

Regards

Pete